US: Taliban Struck Shortly After Insider Attack - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

US: Taliban Struck Shortly After Insider Attack

Posted: Updated:
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon says that shortly after two U.S. soldiers were gunned down by two men wearing Afghan army uniforms in eastern Afghanistan, Taliban insurgents attacked the district center where the Americans had been operating.
    
The Pentagon identified the soldiers as 22-year-old Spc. John A. Pelham of Portland, Ore., and 41-year-old Sgt. 1st Class Roberto C. Skelt of York, Fla.
    
The scenario as described Friday by a Pentagon spokesman, Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby, appeared to leave open the possibility that the machine-gun attack that killed the two Army Special Forces soldiers Wednesday was coordinated with the Taliban.
    
Kirby said he would not speculate on whether the two events were connected. The matter is being investigated jointly by American and Afghan officials.
    
Pelham's father, Wendall Pelham of Beaverton, Ore., told KGW-TV in Portland that his son was an intelligence analyst on his second tour of duty in Afghanistan.
    
The younger Pelham was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) at Fort Bragg, N.C.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Detectives identify woman found in Spokane River

    Detectives identify woman found in Spokane River

    Thursday, September 20 2018 8:35 PM EDT2018-09-21 00:35:31 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Update: Detectives have identified the woman found in the Spokane River September 15 just hours after releasing a rending of what she may have looked like. Detectives continue to work to determine what occurred prior to her death.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Update: Detectives have identified the woman found in the Spokane River September 15 just hours after releasing a rending of what she may have looked like. Detectives continue to work to determine what occurred prior to her death.

    >>
  • Psychiatric hospital coming to Spokane

    Psychiatric hospital coming to Spokane

    Friday, September 21 2018 12:17 PM EDT2018-09-21 16:17:08 GMT
    The three finalists bidding for the Riverfront Park project visited Spokane todayThe three finalists bidding for the Riverfront Park project visited Spokane today

    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - A new 100-bed psychiatric hospital is coming to Spokane.    The Inland Northwest Behavioral Health hospital, which opens to patients in October, will have about 200 employees.    The Spokesman-Review says the $33 million facility will be split into four units, each with 25 beds for inpatient services. One unit will be reserved for adolescent patients between the ages of 13 and 17.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - A new 100-bed psychiatric hospital is coming to Spokane.    The Inland Northwest Behavioral Health hospital, which opens to patients in October, will have about 200 employees.    The Spokesman-Review says the $33 million facility will be split into four units, each with 25 beds for inpatient services. One unit will be reserved for adolescent patients between the ages of 13 and 17.

    >>
  • Suge Knight pleads to manslaughter over fatal confrontation

    Suge Knight pleads to manslaughter over fatal confrontation

    Thursday, September 20 2018 5:16 PM EDT2018-09-20 21:16:55 GMT

    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Former rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight has pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter and after he ran over two men, killing one, nearly four years ago.    The Death Row Records co-founder entered the plea Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court and has agreed to serve 28 years in prison.

    >>

    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Former rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight has pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter and after he ran over two men, killing one, nearly four years ago.    The Death Row Records co-founder entered the plea Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court and has agreed to serve 28 years in prison.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • National NewsMore>>

  • Highway 520 bridge reopens after police activity

    Highway 520 bridge reopens after police activity

    Friday, September 21 2018 9:24 PM EDT2018-09-22 01:24:00 GMT

    SEATTLE (AP) - Authorities say the Highway 520 floating bridge has reopened between Seattle and the eastern suburbs after a possibly armed person in a pickup truck was taken into custody. The Washington State Department of Transportation said on Twitter at about 5 p.m. that the bridge was closed to all traffic because of police activity.

    >>

    SEATTLE (AP) - Authorities say the Highway 520 floating bridge has reopened between Seattle and the eastern suburbs after a possibly armed person in a pickup truck was taken into custody. The Washington State Department of Transportation said on Twitter at about 5 p.m. that the bridge was closed to all traffic because of police activity.

    >>
  • Trump says Kavanaugh born to be on Supreme Court

    Trump says Kavanaugh born to be on Supreme Court

    Friday, September 21 2018 9:05 PM EDT2018-09-22 01:05:26 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump says Brett Kavanaugh was born to be on the Supreme Court and "it's going to happen." Kavanaugh is currently fighting a decades-old allegation from Christine Blasey Ford that he sexually assaulted her in the early 1980s. The Senate Judiciary Committee has given Ford until 10 p.m. Friday to reach agreement on terms for her to testify. 

    >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump says Brett Kavanaugh was born to be on the Supreme Court and "it's going to happen." Kavanaugh is currently fighting a decades-old allegation from Christine Blasey Ford that he sexually assaulted her in the early 1980s. The Senate Judiciary Committee has given Ford until 10 p.m. Friday to reach agreement on terms for her to testify. 

    >>
  • Death toll rises to 43 in aftermath of Florence

    Death toll rises to 43 in aftermath of Florence

    Friday, September 21 2018 9:02 PM EDT2018-09-22 01:02:08 GMT

    (AP) - Authorities say the death toll has now risen to 43 dead in the aftermath of former Hurricane Florence. A statement released by North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper's office said Friday evening that there are now 32 confirmed dead in that state. The statement says a 46-year-old man in Brunswick County died when a tree he was cutting feel on him. 

    >>

    (AP) - Authorities say the death toll has now risen to 43 dead in the aftermath of former Hurricane Florence. A statement released by North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper's office said Friday evening that there are now 32 confirmed dead in that state. The statement says a 46-year-old man in Brunswick County died when a tree he was cutting feel on him. 

    >>