Oso Mudslide: Death Toll Rises, Red Cross Volunteers From North - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Oso Mudslide: Death Toll Rises, Red Cross Volunteers From North Idaho Help Mudslide Survivors

Posted: Updated:

KHQ.COM - Volunteers from all over the country continue to search for those missing in Oso, Washington. It has been eight days since the worst mudslide in U.S. history hit the town and crews continue working through treacherous conditions to find what is left.

One of those volunteers traveled from North Idaho with the Red Cross to hand out supplies and food to rescuers and survivors. He says many are overwhelmed by how many people came to help and that the worst part of the disaster is the fact that it happened so fast.

Previous Story:

DARRINGTON, Wash. (AP) - Authorities say the number of people who have been confirmed dead from the mudslide in Washington state has increased from 18 to 21.

Jason Biermann of Snohomish County Emergency Management said Sunday that 15 victims have been identified by the Snohomish County medical examiner. Six have yet to be identified.

Biermann says another four bodies were found in the debris field on Sunday. About 30 people remain missing after the massive mudslide in mountainside community of Oso on March 22.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Previous Story:

DARRINGTON, Wash. (AP) - Authorities say the number of missing from the deadly Washington state landslide has plummeted to 30 after many people were found safe.

Officials previously set the number of missing people at 90, but they had said they expected that figure to drop dramatically as they worked to find people and cross-referenced a list that included partial reports and duplicates.

The confirmed death toll has risen to 18, Jason Biermann, program manager at the Snohomish County Department of Emergency Management, said at a Saturday evening briefing.

The massive landslide struck the small community of Oso north of Seattle on March 22.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Previous Story:

ARLINGTON, Wash. (AP) - Authorities say there are 108 names on the list of people who've been reported missing or unaccounted for in the weekend mudslide in Washington state.
   
Snohomish County emergency management director John Pennington says that doesn't mean there are 108 injuries or fatalities. But he says it's the consolidated list of reported missing from various sources that authorities are working from.
   
Pennington says the slide occurred on a Saturday morning, when more people were likely to be home.
   
At least eight people were killed in the 1-square-mile slide that hit in a rural area about 55 miles northeast of Seattle.
   
Several people also were critically injured, and about 30 homes were destroyed.

PREVIOUS STORY:

ARLINGTON, Wash. (AP) - Washington state authorities have begun to identify some of the people who died in Saturday's mudslide in a community 55 miles northeast of Seattle. The Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office said those identified so far died of accidental blunt impact.
   
- Kaylee B. Spillers, 5, Arlington, Wash.
   
- Stephen A. Neal, 55, Darrington, Wash.
   
- Christina A. Jefferds, 45, Arlington, Wash.
   
- William E. Welsh, 66, Arlington, Wash.
   
- Linda L. McPherson, 69, Arlington, Wash.

UPDATE:
OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - Gov. Jay Inslee's request for more federal assistance to help with recovery efforts following the deadly mudslide in Oso has been approved.
   
Viet Shelton, spokesman for Rep. Suzan DelBene, said the request was granted Friday morning. Inslee asked for an expansion of a federal emergency declaration the state received earlier this week.
   
Inslee issued the request Thursday for additional help that would come from an expanded declaration, including helping local and state government agencies recover a portion of the estimated $4.5 million expected to be spent on emergency response, protective measures and debris removal related to Saturday's mudslide. The declaration that was received Monday provided federal disaster teams, other personnel and equipment.

UPDATE: OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - Gov. Jay Inslee's request for more federal assistance to help with recovery efforts following the deadly mudslide in Oso has been approved.
   
Viet Shelton, spokesman for Rep. Suzan DelBene, said the request was granted Friday morning. Inslee asked for an expansion of a federal emergency declaration the state received earlier this week.
   
Inslee issued the request Thursday for additional help that would come from an expanded declaration, including helping local and state government agencies recover a portion of the estimated $4.5 million expected to be spent on emergency response, protective measures and debris removal related to Saturday's mudslide. Military Department spokeswoman Karina Shagren said that debris removal costs were not included in the federal approval, but that state officials are still working on securing that additional money.
   
The declaration that was received Monday provided federal disaster teams, other personnel and equipment.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

DARRINGTON, Wash. (AP) - A spokesman for authorities dealing with Washington state's deadly mudslide says search crews found an additional body late Wednesday, bringing the death toll to 25 victims.
    
That word comes from landslide incident spokesman Brian McMahan. Authorities say while they have discovered 25 bodies, not all have been recovered.
    
Snohomish County Emergency Management Director John Pennington said earlier Wednesday that 90 people have been confirmed as missing. Authorities are also looking into a list of 35 people who may or may not have been in the area at the time of last Saturday's slide about 55 miles northeast of Seattle.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • UPDATE: High Drive brush fire now 100% contained

    UPDATE: High Drive brush fire now 100% contained

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:42 AM EDT2014-07-29 15:42:03 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash.- On Monday afternoon a brush fire broke out on the west side of Spokane's South Hill. The fire, which broke out around 3pm, was burning on the hill between High Drive and Qualchan Golf Course. By 9pm Monday night the fire was 100% contained. This does not necessarily mean the fire is totally out, but that crews are confident it won't spread and will be out soon.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash.- On Monday afternoon a brush fire broke out on the west side of Spokane's South Hill. The fire, which broke out around 3pm, was burning on the hill between High Drive and Qualchan Golf Course. By 9pm Monday night the fire was 100% contained. This does not necessarily mean the fire is totally out, but that crews are confident it won't spread and will be out soon.>>
  • PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    Saturday, July 26 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-07-26 04:07:59 GMT
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
  • 44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

    44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

    Thursday, July 24 2014 3:46 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:46:53 GMT
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Just when you think you've heard everything: Man rescued from flagpole

    Just when you think you've heard everything: Man rescued from flagpole

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:33 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:33:53 GMT
    Courtesy NBC Right NowCourtesy NBC Right Now
    YAKIMA, Wash.- A man in Yakima is doing okay now after firefighters rescued him from a 30 foot flag pole Monday afternoon. Firefighters said the man was working on the flag pole which is on the roof of the William O Douglas building. The building is three stories tall.>>
    YAKIMA, Wash.- A man in Yakima is doing okay now after firefighters rescued him from a 30 foot flag pole Monday afternoon. Firefighters said the man was working on the flag pole which is on the roof of the William O Douglas building. The building is three stories tall.>>
  • Burnout for Carlton Complex canceled due to winds

    Burnout for Carlton Complex canceled due to winds

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:08 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:08:18 GMT
    UPDATE: WINTHROP, Wash. (AP) - Erratic winds have forced crews to cancel a burnout operation that was planned Tuesday near the Carlton Complex wildfire to deprive it of fuel.Crews planned to send flames from a secure fire line on the northeast side of the Carlton Complex back toward the main fire, through rugged terrain that they had been unable to attack directly.>>
    UPDATE: WINTHROP, Wash. (AP) - Erratic winds have forced crews to cancel a burnout operation that was planned Tuesday near the Carlton Complex wildfire to deprive it of fuel.Crews planned to send flames from a secure fire line on the northeast side of the Carlton Complex back toward the main fire, through rugged terrain that they had been unable to attack directly.>>
  • Washington ferry with hundreds aboard loses power

    Washington ferry with hundreds aboard loses power

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:01 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:01:23 GMT
    SEATTLE (AP) - A ferry carrying hundreds of passengers on the Washington State Ferry system's busiest route has lost power. Ferry spokeswoman Marta Coursey says the Tacoma on the Seattle to Bainbridge Island run lost propulsion Tuesday afternoon. She said the vessel, carrying 405 passengers and 138 cars, had dropped anchor and was stable in the water.>>
    SEATTLE (AP) - A ferry carrying hundreds of passengers on the Washington State Ferry system's busiest route has lost power. Ferry spokeswoman Marta Coursey says the Tacoma on the Seattle to Bainbridge Island run lost propulsion Tuesday afternoon. She said the vessel, carrying 405 passengers and 138 cars, had dropped anchor and was stable in the water.
    >>