8-Year-Old Girl Speaks After Pit Bull Attack, Wants To Thank Man - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

8-Year-Old Girl Speaks After Pit Bull Attack, Wants To Thank Man Who Saved Her

SPOKANE, Wash. – Diamond White, the 8-year-old little girl attacked by a pit bull Thursday, has several wounds on her body and received more than a hundred stitches. Despite the injuries though she is making a full recovery at home.

Sunday, Craig Randleman, the man who saved her life, stopped by her home to deliver a card and check on how she is doing. Diamond’s brother, who witnessed the attack, helped her read the card.

“As an adult I can only be amazed at how tough and smart you are because that dog was absolutely vicious and violent,” read Diamond’s ten-year-old brother D’Allyn White.

Just days after being attacked by a pit bull, Diamond is happy to be on her feet and outside in the sun.

“I can finally get off the couch and get out of the bed,” Diamond explained.

Craig says he wanted to stop by and make sure she was doing ok. The attack sent them both to the hospital.

“I just wanted to tell her how brave she was,” Randleman said. “I just think it's remarkable she survived that dog.”

“If Craig wasn't there, I wouldn't have my daughter,” said Diamond’s mother Nakia Roberts.

“I was happy that he saved me and also, I was still scared,” Diamond said.

The day of the attack, Diamond and her brother D’Allyn were walking home from a friend’s house when the dog got out of the fence.

“The dog came out of nowhere,” D’Allyn explained. “We were trying to get home, it came out of nowhere, it was just scary.”

“I was really scared,” Diamond said.

“I don't know, she just went into defense mode and she was trying to protect herself,” Nakia said. “She even told her brother to run.”

Both Diamond and Craig were bit multiple times during the attack. The dog latched onto her head and if Craig had not been there, her mom says it would have killed her.

Eventually, Diamond was able to escape over a fence while Craig distracted the dog. However, the marks from the attack remain.

“She had over 100 stitches inside and out,” Nakia said.

The wounds cover her arms and back, but today she is not thinking about herself.

“She's doing great, she was really worried about how Craig was, like I said she wanted to bake him some cookies to say thank you,” Nakia said.

Diamond wants to thank Craig.

“I want to say thank you,’ Diamond said.

However, everyone still cannot believe how tough she was in that horrifying situation.

“You are an amazing girl, so tough, so smart,” Craig wrote.

“I consider her very brave and courageous, you name it I think she is,” Nakia said.

Previous Story:

SPOKANE, Wash. – The 8-year-old girl attacked by a pit bull Thursday, was released from the hospital Friday and is expected to make a full recovery.

Craig Randleman, a neighbor who ran to help her, was also taken to the hospital with multiple bites all over his body Thursday night. He has also been released from the hospital.

He says the attack was a horrifying scene and that they are both lucky they got away alive.

“We both saw that dog just eating that girl, it's terrible,” Craig said. “I just couldn't believe it, it was so terrible.”

Craig and another neighbor ran to help after they heard her screaming. He says he kicked the dog as hard as he could repeatedly trying to get if off the 8-year-old little girl. However, it still would not back down.

“It went right back at that little girl,” Craig said. “She was being tattered. It was so terrible.”

As he tried to save the girl, the dog started attacking him as well.

“I think I was leaned over looking at her when the dog leapt at my face and lacerated my face,” Craig explained. “I was shocked, I’d never had anything like that ever. I tried to punch at it with my right hand and eventually it got a hold of my right hand and clamped onto my left wrist.”

The dog bit Craig multiple times before he was able to escape over a neighbor’s fence.

“That dog was going to kill me if I hadn't gotten over that fence or if it had gotten in that fence,” Craig said. “It would have killed me. I would not have been able to fend that dog off.”

As the dog focused on Craig, the 8-year-old girl was able to get away as well. She was taken to the hospital with serious injuries.

“The backs of her arms were really, really badly torn up,” Craig explained. “Really bad, I think she was trying so hard to, you know, I can’t believe she did it.”

The girl has since been released form the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

“That little girl fended that dog off and survived that dog for about 45 seconds or a minute, oh my god, what a brave little girl, she's so smart,” Craig said. “How did she do it?”

PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

Saturday, July 26 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-07-26 04:07:59 GMT
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>

Throwback Thursday! Look At 'Sunshine Shelly' Through The Years!

Thursday, March 20 2014 1:04 PM EDT2014-03-20 17:04:11 GMT
    KHQ.COM - It's throwback Thursday! Here is a slideshow we would like to share of Shelly Monahan through the years! For those of you who have been in Spokane for many years, and saw her through her "Sunshine Shelly" days, you will probably remember the Shelly from back in those days. Enjoy!>>

44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

Thursday, July 24 2014 3:46 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:46:53 GMT
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

Progress being made on power outages

Saturday, July 26 2014 10:26 AM EDT2014-07-26 14:26:55 GMT
    As of Saturday morning, there are just less than 6,000 customers without power in the Inland Northwest. There are still more than 2,602 Avista customers without power but Avista says reinforcement crews continue to arrive to help relieve and assist other crews who have been working around the clock. >>>SEE LATEST OUTAGE UPDATES>>>>>

Fatal collision on eastbound I-90

Saturday, July 26 2014 10:14 AM EDT2014-07-26 14:14:27 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Troopers are investigating an auto-ped fatal crash on I-90 eastbound near mile post 280. A 59 year old man was crossing I-90 when he was hit by a pick up truck. He died on the scene. Police say the driver does not appear at fault and don't believe drugs or alcohol played a factor.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Troopers are investigating an auto-ped fatal crash on I-90 eastbound near mile post 280. A 59 year old man was crossing I-90 when he was hit by a pick up truck. He died on the scene. Police say the driver does not appear at fault and don't believe drugs or alcohol played a factor.The man who died has been identified as Dennis Stensgar.>>

PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned