Fungus That Causes Fatal Illness Found In WA State But No Need F - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Fungus That Causes Fatal Illness Found In WA State But No Need For Worry

Posted: Updated:
UPDATE:

KHQ's Nichole Mischke spoke with Kim Papich with the Spokane Regional Health District and it she provided additional context around the WSU release. WSU recently tested soil in central Washington state and detected the fungus that, when inhaled, can cause Valley Fever.

Three individuals from central Washington were diagnosed with Valley Fever in 2010-2011—two cases in 2010 and a case in 2011 and all were likely exposed to the fungus in Washington state.

The illness cannot be spread from human-to-human or animal-to-human. It is only contracted if contaminated soil is inhaled.

Most people who are exposed to the fungus do not develop symptoms, or have very mild flu-like symptoms that go away on their own. Some people may develop a more severe infection, especially those who have a weakened immune system, are of African-American or Filipino descent, or are pregnant in their third trimester.

Symptoms of Valley Fever include:
  • Fever
  • Cough
  • Headache
  • Rash on upper trunk or extremities
  • Muscle aches
  • Joint pain in the knees or ankles
Symptoms may appear between one and three weeks after exposure to the fungus. If symptoms last for more than a week, contact your health care provider.

Valley Fever is a notifiable condition in Washington state, which means that if a person is diagnosed with it, local public health will be notified.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - A fungus that can launch a fatal illness has been found for the first time in the soil of Washington.
    
Officials for Washington State University say the fungus can cause an illness called valley fever. The fungus is normally found in semiarid parts of the Southwest.
    
Valley fever occurs when the soil-dwelling fungus becomes airborne, releasing spores that get lodged in the lungs of humans and certain animals, especially dogs.
    
The Centers for Disease Control estimates it kills 160 people a year.
    
Three unrelated cases were diagnosed in Eastern Washington in 2010-11.
    
Scientists for Washington State say that soil samples taken recently from the vicinity tested positive for the fungus, proving it can survive here. All three people who got sick in Eastern Washington survived.

For more information on this illness including a list of symptoms, click here: http://tinyurl.com/mf5dtmo

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Explosion reported near Colfax may have been faulty reading

    Explosion reported near Colfax may have been faulty reading

    Monday, September 25 2017 9:26 PM EDT2017-09-26 01:26:30 GMT

    COLFAX, Wash. - Update 6:23 p.m.: Officials with the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network say a reported explosion near Colfax Monday afternoon may have been the result of a faulty reading related to an earthquake in Montana.

    >>

    COLFAX, Wash. - Update 6:23 p.m.: Officials with the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network say a reported explosion near Colfax Monday afternoon may have been the result of a faulty reading related to an earthquake in Montana.

    >>
  • Spokane neighbors shocked after dogs pepper sprayed

    Spokane neighbors shocked after dogs pepper sprayed

    Sunday, September 24 2017 9:08 PM EDT2017-09-25 01:08:37 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Two families are still left shocked after they say someone sprayed their dogs with pepper spray. This happened on Saturday night around 9 p.m. near Hays Park. Eric Eitzman says he was inside his home when he heard his dog and his neighbor’s dogs start barking. He opened the door and his dog ran inside. That’s when his daughter grabbed the dog and said she smelled.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Two families are still left shocked after they say someone sprayed their dogs with pepper spray. This happened on Saturday night around 9 p.m. near Hays Park. Eric Eitzman says he was inside his home when he heard his dog and his neighbor’s dogs start barking. He opened the door and his dog ran inside. That’s when his daughter grabbed the dog and said she smelled.

    >>
  • Sacramento boy beaten to death with hammer while protecting sister from sex abuse

    Sacramento boy beaten to death with hammer while protecting sister from sex abuse

    Monday, September 25 2017 5:15 PM EDT2017-09-25 21:15:31 GMT

    SACRAMENTO, Calif. - An 8-year-old Sacramento boy was beaten to death with a hammer while protecting his younger sister from being sexually assaulted by his mother's ex-boyfriend, according to court documents. 

    >>

    SACRAMENTO, Calif. - An 8-year-old Sacramento boy was beaten to death with a hammer while protecting his younger sister from being sexually assaulted by his mother's ex-boyfriend, according to court documents. Investigators say Dante Daniels was beaten on September 1 and died six days later from his injuries. A criminal complaint says 23-year-old Deandre Chaney Jr. was performing a criminal lewd act on Dante's 7-year-old sister when Dante stepped in to help.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Puppy missing after Spokane house break-in

    Puppy missing after Spokane house break-in

    Monday, September 25 2017 10:06 PM EDT2017-09-26 02:06:35 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - After a house break-in and burglary, one man already had enough on his plate. But then, he found out his dog was missing. “This was his area. This was his spot,” says Sean Copko. Sean got his 9-week-old blue heeler puppy Dale recently. He’s been posting his dog’s picture all over town in the hopes of finding him. “He's a little sweetheart,” he says.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - After a house break-in and burglary, one man already had enough on his plate. But then, he found out his dog was missing. “This was his area. This was his spot,” says Sean Copko. Sean got his 9-week-old blue heeler puppy Dale recently. He’s been posting his dog’s picture all over town in the hopes of finding him. “He's a little sweetheart,” he says.

    >>
  • Trial begins for man accused of killing Coeur d'Alene officer

    Trial begins for man accused of killing Coeur d'Alene officer

    Monday, September 25 2017 10:00 PM EDT2017-09-26 02:00:56 GMT

    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Jonathan Renfro’s hair is a little longer; he’s clean-shaven and wore a suit and tie for his first day of trial. That compared to when we saw him a few weeks ago when he was wearing a prison jumpsuit. Despite the makeover, Renfro was expressionless as the state gave an emotion-packed opening statement. The state touched on why Renfro was even carrying a gun while he was on parole.

    >>

    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Jonathan Renfro’s hair is a little longer; he’s clean-shaven and wore a suit and tie for his first day of trial. That compared to when we saw him a few weeks ago when he was wearing a prison jumpsuit. Despite the makeover, Renfro was expressionless as the state gave an emotion-packed opening statement. The state touched on why Renfro was even carrying a gun while he was on parole.

    >>
  • Spokane Councilman helps cleanup 200 used needles from neighborhood

    Spokane Councilman helps cleanup 200 used needles from neighborhood

    Monday, September 25 2017 9:51 PM EDT2017-09-26 01:51:32 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Hiking up a hill in a north Spokane neighborhood isn’t how Councilman Mike Fagan planned on spending his Sunday evening, but then he got a call from a long-time constituent. “He says ‘Hey Mike I need to text you some pictures’,” said Fagan. “So he texts me a video and a photograph of just a huge amount of used syringes.”

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Hiking up a hill in a north Spokane neighborhood isn’t how Councilman Mike Fagan planned on spending his Sunday evening, but then he got a call from a long-time constituent. “He says ‘Hey Mike I need to text you some pictures’,” said Fagan. “So he texts me a video and a photograph of just a huge amount of used syringes.”

    >>