A construction worker running a backhoe hit a natural gas line in Kennewick on Wednesday afternoon and caused a leak. Five homes in the area were evacuated as a precaution.
UPDATE/KENNEWICK, WA - A construction worker running a backhoe hit a natural gas line in Kennewick on Wednesday afternoon and caused a leak. Five homes in the area were evacuated as a precaution.
Cascade Natural Gas crews were on scene monitoring the air and their instruments showed just low levels of the gas.
The break was on a main line and that caused some real concern. It held a lot of gas and a lot of pressure. Cascade crews had to bring in their own backhoe to find the line and pinch it off.
"All it does is seek out an ignition source. Once it reaches the right ratio and that ignition source, it's a really good boom. People get injured, killed, neighborhoods blow up. So we're just taking precautions," said Kennewick Fire Captain Matthew Worman.
Five homes and all the construction crews on that site were evacuated. An investigation is underway.
KENNEWICK, WA - Cascade Natural Gas is working to repair a gas leak in a construction area of south Kennewick.
The incident happened a little after 2 p.m. on Wednesday in the area of S. Yelm Place and S. Anderson Place. Firefighters say the leak was caused by a backhoe that hit a two inch gas line.
Officers have evacuated less than ten homes.
This is a developing story, check back for more information.