US Concluded In 2010 That Bergdahl Walked Away From His Unit In - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

US Concluded In 2010 That Bergdahl Walked Away From His Unit In Afghanistan

Posted: Updated:
Bergdahl was released over the weekend, in exchange for five terror suspects who had been held at the detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. They're now in Qatar. Bergdahl was released over the weekend, in exchange for five terror suspects who had been held at the detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. They're now in Qatar.
  • Also on KHQ.comMore>>

  • Military Hospital: Sgt. Bergdahl In Stable Condition

    Military Hospital: Sgt. Bergdahl In Stable Condition

    Monday, June 2 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-06-02 16:13:07 GMT
    Monday, June 2 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-06-02 16:13:07 GMT
    BERLIN (AP) - A U.S. military hospital in Germany says Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is in "stable condition and receiving treatment for conditions requiring hospitalization" after arriving from Afghanistan and five years of captivity.The Landstuhl Regional Medical Center says Bergdahl's treatment "includes attention to dietary and nutrition needs after almost five years in captivity" but declined to release further details about his medical condition due to patient privacy laws.The hospital said i...>>
    BERLIN (AP) - A U.S. military hospital in Germany says Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is in "stable condition and receiving treatment for conditions requiring hospitalization" after arriving from Afghanistan and five years of captivity.The Landstuhl Regional Medical Center says Bergdahl's treatment "includes attention to dietary and nutrition needs after almost five years in captivity" but declined to release further details about his medical condition due to patient privacy laws.The hospital said i...>>
WASHINGTON, D.C. -

From early in his captivity, there have been indications that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl walked away from his unit in Afghanistan.

That was the conclusion of a Pentagon investigation in 2010, and a former senior defense official says after an initial flurry of searching, the military decided not to exert extraordinary efforts to rescue the Idaho man.

Instead, the U.S. government decided to pursue negotiations to get him back over the five years of his captivity.

That track led to Bergdahl's release over the weekend, in exchange for five terror suspects who had been held at the detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. They're now in Qatar.

Meanwhile, an officer who served in Bergdahl's unit denies that Bergdahl had been on patrol the night he disappeared, as some reports have suggested. Nathan Bradley Bethea writes on the Daily Beast website that there was no patrol that night. Instead, he says Bergdahl was relieved from guard duty and fled the outpost on foot. In Bethea's words, "he deserted."

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said over the weekend those issues would be dealt with later.

Bergdahl remains in a military hospital in Germany.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Man charged with attempted murder in baseball bat assault at local business

    Man charged with attempted murder in baseball bat assault at local business

    Thursday, August 17 2017 7:26 AM EDT2017-08-17 11:26:52 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A woman is recovering at a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries after being assaulted by a man with a baseball bat at a local business Wednesday evening. The suspect, 41-year-old Jeremy Lindholm, has been charged with 2nd degree attempted murder among other charges. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A woman is recovering at a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries after being assaulted by a man with a baseball bat at a local business Wednesday evening. The suspect, 41-year-old Jeremy Lindholm, has been charged with 2nd degree attempted murder among other charges. 

    >>
  • Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

    Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

    Thursday, August 17 2017 1:59 PM EDT2017-08-17 17:59:47 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who police believe shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard. 

    >>
  • If you received an annoying robocall offering a free cruise, you might be entitled to at least $300, possibly $900

    If you received an annoying robocall offering a free cruise, you might be entitled to at least $300, possibly $900

    Wednesday, August 16 2017 4:18 PM EDT2017-08-16 20:18:16 GMT

    NEW YORK - Have you received an annoying robocall saying you won a free cruise? That phone call could get you up to $900 thanks for a recent class action lawsuit.  The lawsuit claims Resort Marketing Group (RMG), a third-party travel agency, made pre-recorded robocalls from July 2009 to March 2014 offering free cruises with Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian Cruise Line.

    >>

    NEW YORK - Have you received an annoying robocall saying you won a free cruise? That phone call could get you up to $900 thanks for a recent class action lawsuit.  The lawsuit claims Resort Marketing Group (RMG), a third-party travel agency, made pre-recorded robocalls from July 2009 to March 2014 offering free cruises with Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian Cruise Line.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Police say death toll in Barcelona now at 13

    Police say death toll in Barcelona now at 13

    Thursday, August 17 2017 4:10 PM EDT2017-08-17 20:10:05 GMT

    BARCELONA, Spain (AP) - Spain's royal palace has condemned the deadly van attack in Barcelona, calling the perpetrators "assassins, simply criminals who will not terrorize us." A speeding van struck pedestrians in Barcelona's Las Ramblas district, killing at least 13 people and injuring more than 50 others.

    >>

    BARCELONA, Spain (AP) - Spain's royal palace has condemned the deadly van attack in Barcelona, calling the perpetrators "assassins, simply criminals who will not terrorize us." A speeding van struck pedestrians in Barcelona's Las Ramblas district, killing at least 13 people and injuring more than 50 others.

    >>
  • GOP senator says Trump hasn't shown stability, competence

    GOP senator says Trump hasn't shown stability, competence

    Thursday, August 17 2017 4:08 PM EDT2017-08-17 20:08:14 GMT

    WASHINGTON - A leading Republican senator says Donald Trump has not yet shown the stability or competence required for an American president to succeed. Bob Corker of Tennessee, who chairs the Foreign Relations Committee, called for "radical changes" in how the Trump White House operates.  He spoke Thursday to local reporters in Chattanooga.

    >>

    WASHINGTON - A leading Republican senator says Donald Trump has not yet shown the stability or competence required for an American president to succeed. Bob Corker of Tennessee, who chairs the Foreign Relations Committee, called for "radical changes" in how the Trump White House operates.  He spoke Thursday to local reporters in Chattanooga.

    >>
  • Ohio high school getting rid of Confederate mascot

    Ohio high school getting rid of Confederate mascot

    Thursday, August 17 2017 4:04 PM EDT2017-08-17 20:04:25 GMT

    An Ohio high school is getting rid of its Confederate mascot in the wake of a deadly car attack at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, last weekend. Superintendent Steve Thompson announced at a news conference Thursday that Willoughby South High School will drop its "Rebel" mascot, a man dressed in a gray Confederate military outfit, but keep the name.

    >>

    An Ohio high school is getting rid of its Confederate mascot in the wake of a deadly car attack at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, last weekend. Superintendent Steve Thompson announced at a news conference Thursday that Willoughby South High School will drop its "Rebel" mascot, a man dressed in a gray Confederate military outfit, but keep the name.

    >>