Keeping Vigil: Hearth Homes - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Keeping Vigil: Hearth Homes

SPOKANE, Wash. - If you've lived long enough you know that life is not easy, nor is it fair. It's even harder when you don't have a support system to help you through those times.

In this week's  'Keeping Vigil' KHQ's Stephanie Vigil introduces you to Hearth Homes, a sanctuary for women who have experienced extreme hardships in life with nowhere to turn.

Hearth Homes especially helped Cherie Larsen.

Cherie grew up in the welfare system with her mother. She moved every six months. She has been to more than 20 schools. She watched her mom go through 4 husbands, and was dragged up and down the west coast. Cherie says her childhood was a series of unfortunate events.

"No one had really taught me any life skills, or coping skills or how to handle life."

Her way of coping was turning to the bottle.

"I was an alcoholic. I had fallen on really, really, really hard times. My family fell apart, kind of came out from beneath me," Cherie said. And with no coping skill she kept spiraling downward.

"I ended up living in my car. I was still working full time, but I was living in my car and then the car got impounded so I lost that. I had literally lost everything," Cherie recalled.

Cherie even lost custody of her oldest son. Now homeless and 4 months pregnant with her second child, Cherie found herself on the doorsteps of Hearth Homes.

"They gave me the structure and stability that I needed to be compliant with the court system to rebuild my life."

Within the walls of Hearth Homes, new revelations and transformations happened for Cherie. Her old habits would be eventually be broken

"That's why I kept falling on my face. I couldn't build a structure. I didn't have the building blocks that I needed so that's where we started. We started with a foundation and when we built a foundation we started building walls," Cherie said.

The structure allowed her to gain more rights to parent her child and it's time she treasures having lost so much of it.

"My son is an old soul. He's very eccentric and full of wisdom. Sometimes I feel like I'm turning to him for guidance. He's an incredible young man," Cherie said about her son.

Angi Lorenzi is the Executive Director for Hearth Homes. Her heart and wisdom is what these women need.

"We're able to hold up a mirror that doesn't put them down. It's one that magnifies the strengths that they have in them already," Lorenzi told KHQ's Stephanie Vigil.

Cherie told said if it weren't for Hearth Homes, she'd probably be dead under a bridge, and now she looks forward to going back to school to finish what she never got to do as a child.

"I never saw myself pulling out of the black hole in general, so to have something to look forward to for myself because I have the boys. I'm really excited," Cherie told Stephanie.

When asked if she is proud of herself, Cherie gave a resounding, "Yes!"

Wedding theft turns into prostitution sting

Thursday, October 19 2017 9:16 PM EDT2017-10-20 01:16:10 GMT

SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash.- What started as an investigation into two wedding thieves, turned into the discovery of a prostitution operation. You might remember back in August, a couple that crashed a wedding at the Mirabeau Park Hotel. A box filled with wedding gifts and cards were gone. Eventually, Sierra and Josh Davies were arrested for it. Josh remains in the Spokane County Jail, facing 22 charges ranging from theft to money laundering. Sierra is facing brand new charges: prostitution.

Montana hunting group has beef with Arby's venison and elk sandwiches

Friday, October 20 2017 12:08 AM EDT2017-10-20 04:08:56 GMT

BILLINGS, Mont. - A Montana hunting group has beef with a popular fast food restaurant chain. The Montana Wildlife Federation is asking Arby's to reconsider its rollout of limited edition venison and elk sandwiches, which is set to begin Saturday. The elk sandwiches are available at only three locations nationwide, one of which is in Billings. MWF's Executive Director Dave Chadwick explained their issue is with Arby's use of farm-raised

84 Children Rescued, 120 Human Traffickers Arrested Across U.S., FBI Says

Thursday, October 19 2017 7:49 AM EDT2017-10-19 11:49:24 GMT
    NBC NEWS - The FBI rescued 84 children from the grips of a multi-state human trafficking ring and arrested 120 traffickers Wednesday, announcing the successful sting in a statement. Operation Cross Country XI focused the attention of law enforcement agencies on a single goal: taking out "pimps" who run human trafficking rings. "We at the FBI have no greater mission than to protect our nation's children from harm. Unfortunately, the number of traffickers arrested ...>>

College student who assaulted an officer apologizes with 'Sorry I tried to bite you' cake

Friday, October 20 2017 7:32 PM EDT2017-10-20 23:32:41 GMT

LAKE CHARLES, La. - A Louisiana college student's apology to police has gone viral on social media, and has been shared thousands of times. Now she says she's trying to use the embarrassing moment to help others. Celina Dally from Lake Charles, Louisiana, went to a wine tasting event at McNeese State University recently and got a little too carried away with the vino.

UPDATE: Bond set at $150,000 for man accused of holding woman against her will, assaulting and shooting her

Friday, October 20 2017 7:27 PM EDT2017-10-20 23:27:02 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The man accused of holding his girlfriend against her will, assaulting and shooting her had his bond set at $150,000 Friday. Daniel Johnson, 48, appeared in front of a district court judge Friday afternoon. Johnson is facing first-degree kidnapping and first-degree assault charges. He will appear in front of a superior court judge on Monday.

Sunday is bath day for all the dogs at Spokane Human Society

Friday, October 20 2017 7:17 PM EDT2017-10-20 23:17:20 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Do you think it’s difficult to give one dog a bath? Then imagine what it’s like to put more than 50 into the tub for a good scrubbing. The foam will be flying on Sunday, starting when the shelter opens at 11 a.m. Staff and volunteers will be giving every dog at the Spokane Humane Society a thorough bath.