Potential for two medical schools in Spokane - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Potential for two medical schools in Spokane

Spokane may be home to two medical programs. Spokane may be home to two medical programs.

After Washington State University and the University of Washington dissolved their longstanding partnership in October, many feared the only medical students in Spokane (first and second year students in UW's WWAMI program) would be pulled back to the university's Seattle campus. But two months later, a plan is in motion for an independent WSU medical school and an expansion to UW's Spokane programs.

WSU held a press conference with State Sen. Michael Bumgartner and Rep. Marcus Riccelli to announce legislation seeking $2.5 million in funding for a medical school and a repeal to a 1917 law requiring all public medical training be conducted at UW.

“One hundred years ago the legislature in Olympia made a mistake,” Sen. Baumgartner said. “Medical education is just an absolute must here in Spokane, and this independent medical school is going to do so much to fill that need.”

Baumgartner said he's confident the legislation will pass easily and WSU will get the funding they need to get their medical school up and running in 2017.

Meanwhile, Gonzaga announced talks with the University of Washington to potentially partner on medical research and education.

“I really think Gonzaga has been focused for a long time on what's best for Spokane,” Gonzaga President Thayne McCulloh said. “As medical education and research emerged as a priority for Spokane we have been active in supporting that agenda.”

The partnership would likely continue UW's WWAMI program, which currently houses 49 first- and second-year students on WSU's Spokane campus. However, those will be the last after WSU and UW agreed to dissolve their partnership in October.

“We are committed to the success of the WWAMI program in Spokane,” University of Washington President Michael Young said.

President Young stressed that there's no plan to move their current program from Eastern Washington, but Gonzaga's President told KHQ that a partnership would ensure this region doesn't lose ties to UW's successful programs.

“We think it's important for us to explore this,” President McCulloh said.

“There are amazing opportunities that could unfold for all of our institutions out of this dialogue. But there are many questions that need to be answered.”

Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

Thursday, August 17 2017 1:59 PM EDT2017-08-17 17:59:47 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who police believe shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Evanlene Melting Tallow wanted to hit the centennial trail for a bike ride and train for her next cycling event. When she got to the end of the trail near Argonne road in Spokane Valley, what happened next left her in shock.   "He looked up and as soon as he seen me oh my gosh he started yelling at me started calling me a C*** and telling me to learn English and go back where I came from and a piece of dirt and all this other

Local actor charged with attempted murder after baseball bat attack

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:38 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:38:52 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The man accused of Attempted Murder after Spokane Police say he beat a woman with a baseball bat Wednesday night made his first court appearance on Thursday.  41-year-old Jeremy Lindholm showed no emotion as a judge handed down a $100,000 bond on Thursday. Lindholm is a local actor whose most recent work includes a role in the Twin Peaks reboot.

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:45 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:45:30 GMT
    Mad Minute for 12/30/16Mad Minute for 12/30/16

Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th.

Family holds Christmas early for father with terminal cancer

Friday, August 18 2017 1:15 AM EDT2017-08-18 05:15:03 GMT
    Courtesy Becky Odum's Facebook pageCourtesy Becky Odum's Facebook page

FRISCO, Tex. - A Frisco, Texas family is having Christmas early this year, after receiving some unfortunate news- David Odum, husband and father, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. According to Fox 4 News, the family has issued an online challenge, met by supporters across the globe.    David's wife Becky got out the Christmas decorations and took to Facebook to share David's diagnosis, asking for family and friends to hang up their