Salvation Army won't change policies after three red kettle robb - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Salvation Army won't change policies after three red kettle robberies

The Spokane County Salvation Army told KHQ they won’t change any of their policies after the third robbery of a holiday red kettle in less than a week. Two of those happened in Spokane County and one was taken in Post Falls. The Spokane County Salvation Army told KHQ they won’t change any of their policies after the third robbery of a holiday red kettle in less than a week. Two of those happened in Spokane County and one was taken in Post Falls.

The Spokane County Salvation Army told KHQ they won't change any of their policies after the third robbery of a holiday red kettle in less than a week. Two of those happened in Spokane County and one was taken in Post Falls.

“We want to focus on the positives of what the red kettles do,” Salvation Army Business Administrator Sheila Geraghty said. “We don't want to let the Grinch steal Christmas.”

The most recent incident took place at the Fred Meyers in Wandermere. Tuesday night a white woman around 30-years-old approached the bell ringer at the red kettle outside the store, said something, and then grabbed the kettle and took off. The bell ringer let them go, as they're trained to do.

“I'd rather see the kettle gone the person at the stand get hurt,” veteran bell ringer Angel Harper said.

Harper says the Salvation Army employees are trained to keep an eye on their kettle and stay at arms length. If they see someone “eyeing them,” they can unhook the kettle and go inside. But if someone demands the kettle, they're trained to give it up.

“We shouldn't have to deal with that,” Harper said.

“It just makes me sick,” Dallas Miner said. Miner was operating the kettle outside the Wandermere Fred Meyers.

“That's not going to stop me from coming out,” Miner said. “What really hurts is to see kids that can't even open a box of shoes or a jacket or something to keep warm.”

Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

Thursday, August 17 2017 1:59 PM EDT2017-08-17 17:59:47 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who police believe shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Evanlene Melting Tallow wanted to hit the centennial trail for a bike ride and train for her next cycling event. When she got to the end of the trail near Argonne road in Spokane Valley, what happened next left her in shock.   "He looked up and as soon as he seen me oh my gosh he started yelling at me started calling me a C*** and telling me to learn English and go back where I came from and a piece of dirt and all this other

Local actor charged with attempted murder after baseball bat attack

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:38 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:38:52 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The man accused of Attempted Murder after Spokane Police say he beat a woman with a baseball bat Wednesday night made his first court appearance on Thursday.  41-year-old Jeremy Lindholm showed no emotion as a judge handed down a $100,000 bond on Thursday. Lindholm is a local actor whose most recent work includes a role in the Twin Peaks reboot.

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:45 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:45:30 GMT
    Mad Minute for 12/30/16Mad Minute for 12/30/16

Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th.

Family holds Christmas early for father with terminal cancer

Friday, August 18 2017 1:15 AM EDT2017-08-18 05:15:03 GMT
    Courtesy Becky Odum's Facebook pageCourtesy Becky Odum's Facebook page

FRISCO, Tex. - A Frisco, Texas family is having Christmas early this year, after receiving some unfortunate news- David Odum, husband and father, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. According to Fox 4 News, the family has issued an online challenge, met by supporters across the globe.    David's wife Becky got out the Christmas decorations and took to Facebook to share David's diagnosis, asking for family and friends to hang up their