LISTEN: Songwriter mashes 6 country songs together to prove they - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

LISTEN: Songwriter mashes 6 country songs together to prove they are all pretty much the same

PHOTO/VIDEO: YouTube/Sir Mashalot PHOTO/VIDEO: YouTube/Sir Mashalot
KHQ.com - A quick disclaimer before writing this article. I'm not a country music fan. Let me rephrase that. I'm not a "Pop Country" music fan. Give me some old school country music like Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, John Prine, Dwight Yoakam, and Leon Russell and I'm fine. Love it. I'll even spot you the early 90's. Garth Brooks, Clint Black, and even Alan Jackson. I'll listen to it. But something happened in recent years. Country music has melded itself with pop music and the result (in my opinion) is not good. The result is too often "jacked-up trucks and cold beers on a summer night, and some girl wearing jeans that fit too tight." If I inadvertently plagiarized multiple country songs (I think I did) with that last line, I'm sorry.

My wife and her friends listen to country music all of the time, and they love it. But to me, there's a formula to it. The melodies. The lyrics. They all begin to sound exactly the same to me. And apparently I'm not the only one. A guy who posts under the name "Sir Mashalot" (real name Gregory Todd) thinks so too.

Sir Mashalot says he is an aspiring songwriter in Nashville who can't seem to get a bite from the "gate keepers" of Country music. However in listening to the radio he noticed a lot of similarities between many of the "hits." So he created a little experiment to see if what he was constantly hearing on the radio was actually the same song over and over, just sung by different artists. Turns out, he wasn't far off.

Sir Mashalot told www.savingcountrymusic.com, “My inspiration started when I heard Parmalee's ‘Close Your Eyes' several months ago. During the chorus, I started realizing it had an almost identical melody/music bed as Blake Shelton's ‘Sure Be Cool If You Did.' So I imported them into Pro Tools, tweaked the key and tempo to line them up, and wahlah- turned out they really were the same song! So I overlapped them together and sent it out to a few friends, thinking it was an interesting exercise.”

But Todd didn't stop there.

“Then, while driving in my car over the next couple of weeks, I started hearing one song after another which I was certain would fit perfectly into the original mashup," he continued telling the website. "First ‘Chillin' It,' then ‘Drunk On You,' then ‘This is How We Roll,' and finally ‘Ready, Set, Roll.' Each time I heard one, I would race home to plug it into the original pro tools session and yep, another perfect fit. Originally, I had all 6 songs overlapping, start to finish, but the more I listened to the lyrics, the more it occurred to me that it wasn't just the music and melody that flowed together, but the actual lyrical content. So I presented myself with the challenge to create a singular, coherent story line using different snippets from the 6 songs. It took me about 2 weeks for that part of it.”

Many of the songs Todd used were apparently written by the same writers according to many comments on the video.

Now as much as I appreciate and agree with the man who put all of this together, I'm confident it won't change my wife's mind, her friend's minds, the minds of the thousands of people who flock to Watershed at The Gorge every year, or the millions of people who buy the music, but it is interesting to say the least, and certainly lets me know that I'm not crazy when we're driving around and I say, "didn't we just hear this song like five minutes ago?" If the formula works, why change it? Most people I bring it up to say they notice it, but they just don't care. They like something they can easily tap their foot and sing along to.

To be fair, this isn't only exclusive to country music. There's pretty much a lack of creativity in all pop music. Some artist or entertainers write the same song twice, replace the words and expect us not to notice. Listen to Iggy Azalea's "Fancy" and "Beg For It" and tell me with a straight face that the chorus isn't exactly the same, just different words.

But hey, maybe it's all in the ear of the listener. My wife would tell you some of the music I listen to sounds the same. But if you love music, and you're digging what you're hearing, then let your flag fly! I'll always side with creativity and originality, which means I won't be listening to the radio anytime soon.

Do you notice this in music today? Does it affect what you listen to? Let us know what you think on our Facebook page, KHQ LOCAL NEWS.

Suspect identified in fatal downtown Spokane shooting

Thursday, October 18 2018 2:45 PM EDT2018-10-18 18:45:23 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Update: Spokane Police Department SWAT Team officers took a homicide suspect into custody following an afternoon shooting in downtown Spokane. That suspect was identified as 27-year-old Joel C. Taitch. He was found blocks away from the crime scene and booked for 2nd degree murder.

Spokane dealing with blue ash aphid invasion

Wednesday, October 17 2018 9:43 PM EDT2018-10-18 01:43:56 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Feel like you have to keep swatting bugs away when you've been walking outside this week? What you might be calling gnats, are really blue ash aphids. And right now they are more active than ever, because it's mating season. KHQ met a couple who noticed the blue ash aphids right when they started their walk in the park.

Texas police identify woman, child in doorbell video

Thursday, October 18 2018 10:50 PM EDT2018-10-19 02:50:01 GMT

SPRING, Texas - Authorities in Texas say a woman who left a toddler alone on a stranger's doorstep could face charges of felony child endangerment.

Liberty Lake police searching for suspect in fatal hit-and-run investigation

Friday, October 19 2018 12:08 AM EDT2018-10-19 04:08:37 GMT

LIBERTY LAKE, Wash. - Liberty Lake Police are searching for a suspect in a fatal hit and run crash that happened Thursday morning and are asking the public for help. At around 8:15 a.m., Liberty Lake Police and Spokane Valley Fire Department responded to Country Vista Drive and East Mission Avenue for a reported hit and run crash involving a pedestrian.

Louisiana man admits to keeping autistic relative captive in tent, shed and animal cage

Thursday, October 18 2018 11:12 PM EDT2018-10-19 03:12:33 GMT
    Courtesy of the Orleans Parish Sheriff's OfficeCourtesy of the Orleans Parish Sheriff's Office

A New Orleans-area man has admitted keeping an autistic relative captive in a tent, a shed and a cage installed for animals. Jody Lambert of Amite also admitted shoving the woman to the ground, regularly insulting and threatening her, and knowing about other physical and emotional abuse.  As part of a plea agreement, Lambert pleaded guilty Thursday to one count of civil rights conspiracy.

Texas police identify woman, child in doorbell video