Man sues Vegas casino for gambling away $500,000? - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Man sues Vegas casino for gambling away $500,000?

Posted: Updated:
Mark Johnston says the casino never should've let him gamble $500,000 while he was drunk. Mark Johnston says the casino never should've let him gamble $500,000 while he was drunk.
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Last year Mark Johnston went to Las Vegas for Super Bowl weekend, and like many of us when we go to Sin City, had a few adult beverages. Of the adult variety. 

This led to Johnston losing $500,000. Or at least that's what he said was the reason. So now, he is suing the Downtown Grand in Las Vegas, not only trying to get his money back, but he's looking to double down. 

Johnston admits that he was drunk , but claims the casino should have stopped serving him. 

"They should have cut me off. You know what I mean. They should have cut me off from drinking. The bottom line is casinos are supposed to not gamble to you and not over serve you in alcohol I mean that's gaming regulation," Johnston said. 

Johnston apparently ended up borrowing and then losing $500,000. 

"I feel like they picked my pockets. I feel like they totally took a drunk guy that's like walking down the street and a drunk guy is walking down the street and you just reach and grab his pocket and steal all his money."

Johnston isn't getting any sympathy from the casino. They blame his losses on Johnston's own carelessness and recklessness. 

The case is still under investigation by gaming regulators, and Johnston was slapped with criminal charges for taking loans from the casino and not paying them back. Johnston's attorneys are trying to get those charges dismissed. 


  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Death toll rises to 13 after duck boat capsizes

    Death toll rises to 13 after duck boat capsizes

    Friday, July 20 2018 9:08 AM EDT2018-07-20 13:08:47 GMT

    BRANSON - Authorities say divers have found two more bodies after a duck boat carrying tourists capsized in southwest Missouri, bringing the death toll to 13.Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Jason Pace says four others remain missing Friday after the accident on Table Rock Lake in Branson Thursday evening. He says 14 others survived, but that seven were injured.  

    >>

    BRANSON - Authorities say divers have found two more bodies after a duck boat carrying tourists capsized in southwest Missouri, bringing the death toll to 13.Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Jason Pace says four others remain missing Friday after the accident on Table Rock Lake in Branson Thursday evening. He says 14 others survived, but that seven were injured.  

    >>
  • Hayden man arrested for hate crime following fight with youth pastor

    Hayden man arrested for hate crime following fight with youth pastor

    Friday, July 20 2018 2:36 AM EDT2018-07-20 06:36:38 GMT

    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - On July 12, officers responded to a large fight at a Coeur d'Alene McDonald's. Court documents say a Hayden man was charged with battery and malicious harassment, which is considered a hate crime in Idaho, following an investigation by police.  When officers arrived on scene, the fight had broken up, but witnesses were interviewed at the scene.

    >>

    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - On July 12, officers responded to a large fight at a Coeur d'Alene McDonald's. Court documents say a Hayden man was charged with battery and malicious harassment, which is considered a hate crime in Idaho, following an investigation by police.  When officers arrived on scene, the fight had broken up, but witnesses were interviewed at the scene.

    >>
  • Boylston fire grows to 58,000 acres; Eastbound I-90 closed

    Boylston fire grows to 58,000 acres; Eastbound I-90 closed

    Friday, July 20 2018 12:09 PM EDT2018-07-20 16:09:39 GMT

    KITTITAS COUNTY, Wash. - Washington DNR reports the Boylston Fire grew to 58,000 acres overnight. "Substantial resources" were ordered over night and right now at least 150 firefighting personnel on scene. Air assets will also be assisting ground crews Friday. 

    >>

    KITTITAS COUNTY, Wash. - Washington DNR reports the Boylston Fire grew to 58,000 acres overnight. "Substantial resources" were ordered over night and right now at least 150 firefighting personnel on scene. Air assets will also be assisting ground crews Friday. 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Boylston fire grows to 58,000 acres; Eastbound I-90 closed

    Boylston fire grows to 58,000 acres; Eastbound I-90 closed

    Friday, July 20 2018 12:09 PM EDT2018-07-20 16:09:39 GMT

    KITTITAS COUNTY, Wash. - Washington DNR reports the Boylston Fire grew to 58,000 acres overnight. "Substantial resources" were ordered over night and right now at least 150 firefighting personnel on scene. Air assets will also be assisting ground crews Friday. 

    >>

    KITTITAS COUNTY, Wash. - Washington DNR reports the Boylston Fire grew to 58,000 acres overnight. "Substantial resources" were ordered over night and right now at least 150 firefighting personnel on scene. Air assets will also be assisting ground crews Friday. 

    >>
  • Police: Memphis man steals date's car, goes on another date

    Police: Memphis man steals date's car, goes on another date

    Friday, July 20 2018 11:54 AM EDT2018-07-20 15:54:54 GMT

    MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Police in Memphis say a man stole his date's car and drove it to a date with another woman. Police say a woman reported her car stolen after Kelton Griffin went to her house to take her on a date. WMC-TV reports that Griffin stopped at a gas station and asked the woman to get him some cigars. A police report says while she was gone, he drove off in her Volvo. 

    >>

    MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Police in Memphis say a man stole his date's car and drove it to a date with another woman. Police say a woman reported her car stolen after Kelton Griffin went to her house to take her on a date. WMC-TV reports that Griffin stopped at a gas station and asked the woman to get him some cigars. A police report says while she was gone, he drove off in her Volvo. 

    >>
  • Man who forced toddler to stab woman sentenced to prison

    Man who forced toddler to stab woman sentenced to prison

    Friday, July 20 2018 10:34 AM EDT2018-07-20 14:34:55 GMT

    BURLEY, Idaho - A south-central Idaho man who beat a woman and forced the woman's toddler son to help stab her with a knife on Thanksgiving has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.  The Times-News reports that David James Gifford received the sentence Wednesday in 5th District Court and must serve three years before becoming eligible for parole. 

    >>

    BURLEY, Idaho - A south-central Idaho man who beat a woman and forced the woman's toddler son to help stab her with a knife on Thanksgiving has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.  The Times-News reports that David James Gifford received the sentence Wednesday in 5th District Court and must serve three years before becoming eligible for parole. 

    >>