A call for help answered quickly through social media - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

A call for help answered quickly through social media

Social media helped Denise Gertsch get the help she needed. Social media helped Denise Gertsch get the help she needed.

Denise Gertsch wrote in to KHQ’s Stephanie Vigil, saying: "I am an elderly and disabled home owner. I lost my roof and 2 doors and now cannot find anyone to help. All contractors I spoke with are booked and I need a simple tarp on the roof before snow hits. Insurance won't be able to get here till the 27th.”

After a post, there were dozens of responses wanting to help. Denise is grateful because she says things weren’t looking great a few days ago.

“The wind came whipping through here,” Denise says. “They took the roof tiles off my house, took both the screen doors out.”

But Denise couldn't do it herself because she's disabled. So she looked for help.

“I called every contractor I could think of in the book and they were all booked solid. Nobody was out there to help me.”

Her immediate reaction was panic.

“What would I do without a home? Where would I go? I mean it was scary.”

She was worried about the forecasted snow and protecting her home from more damage. But then she found Micheal through a post on Facebook.

“He’s a godsend. Thank god there was somebody,” she says.

He’s not a contractor, but he wanted to help, so he bought the supplies and took them to her home.

“It’s just what you do as a community,” says Micheal Chappell. “It's what my dad did when I was a kid."

Now, Denise is relieved.

“Thank God for social media. And thank God for Micheal,” she says.

Denise wants to give back. She says if someone is still without power and needs a warm place to sleep, you can feel free to ask her for help.

Death toll rises to 13 after duck boat capsizes

Friday, July 20 2018 9:08 AM EDT2018-07-20 13:08:47 GMT

BRANSON - Authorities say divers have found two more bodies after a duck boat carrying tourists capsized in southwest Missouri, bringing the death toll to 13.Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Jason Pace says four others remain missing Friday after the accident on Table Rock Lake in Branson Thursday evening. He says 14 others survived, but that seven were injured.

Hayden man arrested for hate crime following fight with youth pastor

Friday, July 20 2018 2:36 AM EDT2018-07-20 06:36:38 GMT

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - On July 12, officers responded to a large fight at a Coeur d'Alene McDonald's. Court documents say a Hayden man was charged with battery and malicious harassment, which is considered a hate crime in Idaho, following an investigation by police.  When officers arrived on scene, the fight had broken up, but witnesses were interviewed at the scene.

Boylston wildfire shuts down I-90 in Kittitas County

Friday, July 20 2018 10:24 AM EDT2018-07-20 14:24:18 GMT

KITTITAS COUNTY, Wash. - I-90 westbound has reopened at Vantage, however, eastbound I-90 remains closed due to fire activity. Detours are in place. The situation will be reevaluated at 4pm.

Boylston wildfire shuts down I-90 in Kittitas County

Friday, July 20 2018 10:24 AM EDT2018-07-20 14:24:18 GMT

3 arrested after drugs, weapons found at North Carolina daycare

Friday, July 20 2018 10:19 AM EDT2018-07-20 14:19:32 GMT

A drug bust in North Carolina led police to a day care center, where they found not only a half-dozen guns but also cookies and gummy bears laced with marijuana.    Fayetteville Police Sgt. Shawn Strepay said in a news release that officers waited until the children had left the facility before raiding "Tori's Playhouse" on Tuesday.    Once inside, officers found marijuana-laced gummies and cookies and six firearms.

Death toll rises to 13 after duck boat capsizes