Belgian police free suspect; seek public's help - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Belgian police free suspect; seek public's help

Posted: Updated:
BRUSSELS -

The Latest on the March 22 attacks in Brussels at the airport and on the subway system (all times local):
    
4:45 p.m.
    
A man detained by Belgian authorities in connection with the Brussels attacks has been released by a judge.
    
The judge found there was no evidence to justify holding Faycal C., the Belgian Federal Prosecutor's Office said in a statement Monday.
    
Prosecutors had reported earlier that Fayal C. was facing preliminary charges of "involvement in a terrorist group, terrorist murder and attempted terrorist murder."
    
Belgian media had claimed the man - who they identified as Fayal Cheffou - had been seen on video with the suicide bombers at the airport on Tuesday morning before the attacks.
    
But police on Monday released airport surveillance video of a man with the two airport suicide bombers and asked for the public's help in establishing his identity.
    
___
    
1:10 p.m.
    
The website of Belgium's Federal Police on Monday began carrying a 32-second video of a mysterious man in a hat suspected of having taking part in the March 22 bombing of Brussels Airport.
    
"The police are seeking to identify this man," the site says.
    
The implication is that the suspected accomplice of the two airport suicide bombers could still be at large. The video shows the man, wearing glasses and a white jacket, wheeling a baggage cart through the airport along with the two men identified by Belgian authorities as the bombers.
    
Belgian media previous reported that Faycal Cheffou - reported to be the man identified by authorities as Faycal C. who is in custody and has been charged with terror offenses - had been identified as the suspect who escaped from Brussels Airport following the bombing. Police had refused to confirm that report.
    
Police did not say why they had released the video.
    
___
    
12:15 p.m.
    
The Belgian health minister says four of those wounded in the suicide bombings last week have died in the hospital, bringing the number of victims of the bombings to 35.
    
The minister, Maggie De Block, made the announcement on her Twitter account Monday morning.
    
She posted: "Four patients deceased in hospital. Medical teams did all possible. Total victims: 35. Courage to all the families."
    
Suicide bombers hit Brussels Airport and a city subway train on March 22 in an attack claimed by the Islamic State group.
    
___
    
11:25 a.m.
    
Belgian prosecutors say three people have been ordered held on charges of participating in terrorist group activities
    
They were among four people detained during Sunday searches in Brussels and the northern cities of Mechelen and Duffel.
    
Belgian prosecutors did not release details on the alleged terrorist actions or whether they were linked to the March 22 suicide bombings at Brussels airport and in the Brussels subway.
    
The fourth person has been released without charge, according to a statement from the Belgian Federal Prosecutor's Office Monday.
    
Those charged by the investigating magistrate were identified only as Yassine A., Mohamed B. and Aboubaker O.
    
10:45 a.m.
    
A week after devastating suicide bomb attacks, Brussels Airport will test its capacity to partially resume passenger service. But it's too early to say when service might actually resume, an airport official said Monday.
    
Florence Muls, the airport's external communications manager, said 800 staff members on Tuesday will test temporary infrastructure and new arrangements designed for passenger check-in. The Belgian government must approve the new system, Muls said, before Brussels Airport can resume handling passenger traffic.
    
Two suicide bombers on March 22 caused great damage to the airport's departure hall, and along with another suicide bomber who blew himself up on a Brussels subway train, killed at least 31 people and injured some 270.

(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Well-known dine and dasher targets Spokane restaurants

    Well-known dine and dasher targets Spokane restaurants

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 2:47 AM EDT2017-08-23 06:47:47 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane restaurant owners say they're frustrated that a well-known dine and dasher who was arrested earlier this year for the same thing is once again back at it. Jason Ferraro, the owner of Ferraro's on north Division, says his restaurant was the latest victim in a string of eat and runs. Last week he says a woman came into his restaurant and took off without paying.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane restaurant owners say they're frustrated that a well-known dine and dasher who was arrested earlier this year for the same thing is once again back at it. Jason Ferraro, the owner of Ferraro's on north Division, says his restaurant was the latest victim in a string of eat and runs. Last week he says a woman came into his restaurant and took off without paying.

    >>
  • Boy suffocated by weighted mattress on crib to stop escapes

    Boy suffocated by weighted mattress on crib to stop escapes

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 10:21 AM EDT2017-08-23 14:21:41 GMT

    MYERSTOWN, Pa. (AP) - A Pennsylvania couple accused of tying and weighting down a mattress on top of their toddler son's crib so he couldn't climb out have been charged in his suffocation death. WGAL-TV reports 29-year-old Justin Dwyer and 28-year-old Courtney Stash were charged Tuesday with involuntary manslaughter and other crimes in the April death of their 2-year-old son.

    >>

    MYERSTOWN, Pa. (AP) - A Pennsylvania couple accused of tying and weighting down a mattress on top of their toddler son's crib so he couldn't climb out have been charged in his suffocation death. WGAL-TV reports 29-year-old Justin Dwyer and 28-year-old Courtney Stash were charged Tuesday with involuntary manslaughter and other crimes in the April death of their 2-year-old son.

    >>
  • Rejected panhandler attacks Spokane woman's car with hammer

    Rejected panhandler attacks Spokane woman's car with hammer

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 8:56 PM EDT2017-08-23 00:56:03 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A woman said her car sustained about $1,000 worth of damage from a hammer Monday night. Court documents identify the aggressor as a man she rejected as he was panhandling. It happened outside a Shadle grocery store. The victim said the whole thing was bizarre. "There was someone just right outside the door asking for spare change," Jennifer Semenza said. "I simply said nope."

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A woman said her car sustained about $1,000 worth of damage from a hammer Monday night. Court documents identify the aggressor as a man she rejected as he was panhandling. It happened outside a Shadle grocery store. The victim said the whole thing was bizarre. "There was someone just right outside the door asking for spare change," Jennifer Semenza said. "I simply said nope."

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/