California governor hails minimum wage proposal - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

California governor hails minimum wage proposal

Posted: Updated:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - The Latest on the proposed increase in California's minimum wage (all times local):
    
1:10 p.m.
    
Gov. Jerry Brown is hailing as a matter of economic justice a proposal to make California the first state to raise the minimum wage to $15.
    
The Democratic governor joined legislative and labor leaders Monday in announcing an agreement to raise the rate gradually to $15 an hour by January 2022.
    
Senate leader Kevin de Leon, a Democrat from Los Angeles, says the increase will aid nearly 6 million Californians.
    
He and Brown touted the proposal as California leading the way on easing income equality.
    
Businesses with fewer than 25 employees would get an additional year to phase in the increases. The governor could pause the increases in times of budgetary or economic downturns.
    
Wages would increase to keep up with inflation after 2023.
    
____
    
11:50 a.m.
    
Gov. Jerry Brown and other California leaders are discussing for the first time what his office is calling a "landmark deal" to raise the state's minimum wage to $15 an hour.
    
The Democratic governor plans to outline on Monday a tentative agreement he reached with labor unions to boost the state's minimum wage from $10.
    
The increase would give California by far the largest statewide minimum wage.
    
Democratic state Sen. Mark Leno of San Francisco says that if an agreement is finalized, it would go before lawmakers by replacing his minimum-wage bill that stalled last year.
    
Legislative approval of a minimum-wage package would avoid taking the issue to the ballot. One union-backed initiative has already qualified for the ballot, and a second, competing measure is also trying to qualify.

(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 'The Old Man' from 'Pawn Stars', Richard Harrison, dies at the age of 77

    'The Old Man' from 'Pawn Stars', Richard Harrison, dies at the age of 77

    Monday, June 25 2018 11:44 AM EDT2018-06-25 15:44:31 GMT

    LAS VEGAS - Richard Benjamin Harrison, known as "The Old Man" on The History Channel's "Pawn Stars" passed away Monday morning at the age of 77.  A cause is not known at this time, but Harrison's son, Rick, said he was "surrounded by loving family this past weekend and went peacefully."  

    >>

    LAS VEGAS - Richard Benjamin Harrison, known as "The Old Man" on The History Channel's "Pawn Stars" passed away Monday morning at the age of 77.  A cause is not known at this time, but Harrison's son, Rick, said he was "surrounded by loving family this past weekend and went peacefully."  

    >>
  • Firefighter shot while responding to senior home dies

    Firefighter shot while responding to senior home dies

    Monday, June 25 2018 11:49 AM EDT2018-06-25 15:49:05 GMT

    LONG BEACH, Calif. - A firefighter who was shot while responding to an explosion and fire at a Southern California retirement home has died. Long Beach Fire Chief Mike DuRee announced that the firefighter had died about four hours after the shooting before dawn Monday. DuRee says the 45-year-old firefighter was a 17-year veteran of the department and leaves behind a wife and two children.

    >>

    LONG BEACH, Calif. - A firefighter who was shot while responding to an explosion and fire at a Southern California retirement home has died. Long Beach Fire Chief Mike DuRee announced that the firefighter had died about four hours after the shooting before dawn Monday. DuRee says the 45-year-old firefighter was a 17-year veteran of the department and leaves behind a wife and two children.

    >>
  • Trump trash talks restaurant that booted Sanders

    Trump trash talks restaurant that booted Sanders

    Monday, June 25 2018 8:32 AM EDT2018-06-25 12:32:36 GMT

    WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump is trash-talking a restaurant that refused to serve his press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders.  Trump said in a tweet Monday morning that The Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, Virginia "should focus more on cleaning its filthy canopies, doors and windows (badly needs a paint job) rather than refusing to serve a fine person like Sarah Huckabee Sanders."   

    >>

    WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump is trash-talking a restaurant that refused to serve his press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders.  Trump said in a tweet Monday morning that The Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, Virginia "should focus more on cleaning its filthy canopies, doors and windows (badly needs a paint job) rather than refusing to serve a fine person like Sarah Huckabee Sanders."   

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/