Oil-stained rags spark accidental garage fire in north Spokane - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Oil-stained rags spark accidental garage fire in north Spokane

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters say oil-stained rags caused a fire in north Spokane Friday Firefighters say oil-stained rags caused a fire in north Spokane Friday
SPOKANE, Wash. -

Commuters on their way home from work reported a column of smoke Friday evening in the 4900 block of N. Whitehouse in north Spokane. When firefighters arrived they found a large recycling bin engulfed in flames, and those flames were spreading onto the siding and up into the roof of a detached garage.

Investigators say the fire was accidentally started by paper towels and rags saturated with an oil-based stain that the homeowner had applied to a fence earlier in the day. The Spokane Fire Department reminds everyone to read the label of any product you intend to apply to your fence or deck, as many oil-based stain and waterproofing products present fire danger.

According to firefighters, tests have shown that heat produced in crumpled up rags is sufficient to start a fire in less than 15 minutes. For homes and small commercial shops, the easiest way to prevent a fire is to spread the rags in a single layer so heat can dissipate while the material on the rags is allowed to cure. Then the materials can be safely disposed of, either in hazardous waste collection sites or in the general landfill.

No injuries from the fire were reported and damage to the home was estimated at $5,000.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Florida mom blames teen's death on confusing packaging for peanut cookies

    Florida mom blames teen's death on confusing packaging for peanut cookies

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 1:05 PM EDT2018-07-17 17:05:08 GMT

    A Florida mother blames the death of her 15-year-old daughter on what she calls confusing packaging for Reese's Chips Ahoy cookies.    Kelli Travers-Stafford says her daughter Alexi mistakenly ate one of the cookies at a friend's house despite her peanut allergy, because the top of the familiar red packaging was peeled back, hiding the Reese's label.  

    >>

    A Florida mother blames the death of her 15-year-old daughter on what she calls confusing packaging for Reese's Chips Ahoy cookies.    Kelli Travers-Stafford says her daughter Alexi mistakenly ate one of the cookies at a friend's house despite her peanut allergy, because the top of the familiar red packaging was peeled back, hiding the Reese's label.  

    >>
  • Level 3 evacuations in place for large brush fire burning near Upriver Drive; One home already lost

    Level 3 evacuations in place for large brush fire burning near Upriver Drive; One home already lost

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 10:52 PM EDT2018-07-18 02:52:27 GMT

    Fire crews are battling a large brush fire near Upriver Drive. The fire near Felts Field forced Level 3 evacuations for people South of Valley Springs, East of Minnehaha and north of Upriver. KHQ has learned one home has been lost, while another is involved. This is a developing story and will be updated when more information is available.

    >>

    Fire crews are battling a large brush fire near Upriver Drive. The fire near Felts Field forced Level 3 evacuations for people South of Valley Springs, East of Minnehaha and north of Upriver. KHQ has learned one home has been lost, while another is involved. This is a developing story and will be updated when more information is available.

    >>
  • Spokane Valley massage parlor under investigation for sex trafficking

    Spokane Valley massage parlor under investigation for sex trafficking

    Monday, July 16 2018 9:43 PM EDT2018-07-17 01:43:51 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - The Washington State Patrol is investigating a Spokane Valley massage parlor for sex trafficking and prostitution. According to court documents, several men contacted authorities about the parlor, Space Oil Massage, and told them that the women who worked there asked them in private to call 911 because they were being forced to perform sex acts against their will.

    >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - The Washington State Patrol is investigating a Spokane Valley massage parlor for sex trafficking and prostitution. According to court documents, several men contacted authorities about the parlor, Space Oil Massage, and told them that the women who worked there asked them in private to call 911 because they were being forced to perform sex acts against their will.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Level 3 evacuations in place for large brush fire burning near Upriver Drive; One home already lost

    Level 3 evacuations in place for large brush fire burning near Upriver Drive; One home already lost

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 10:52 PM EDT2018-07-18 02:52:27 GMT

    Fire crews are battling a large brush fire near Upriver Drive. The fire near Felts Field forced Level 3 evacuations for people South of Valley Springs, East of Minnehaha and north of Upriver. KHQ has learned one home has been lost, while another is involved. This is a developing story and will be updated when more information is available.

    >>

    Fire crews are battling a large brush fire near Upriver Drive. The fire near Felts Field forced Level 3 evacuations for people South of Valley Springs, East of Minnehaha and north of Upriver. KHQ has learned one home has been lost, while another is involved. This is a developing story and will be updated when more information is available.

    >>
  • JBS USA suspends shipments from Kentucky farm after video

    JBS USA suspends shipments from Kentucky farm after video

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 7:24 PM EDT2018-07-17 23:24:47 GMT
    Photo: Mercy for AnimalsPhoto: Mercy for Animals

    DENVER (AP) - JBS USA, the U.S. branch of the world's largest meat producer, says it has suspended shipments from a pig farm where workers were shown hitting, kicking and throwing pigs on undercover video. The Colorado-based company said it made the decision based on an initial review of the Mercy for Animals video at a Tosh Farms site in Simpson County, Kentucky, and will investigate the allegations.   

    >>

    DENVER (AP) - JBS USA, the U.S. branch of the world's largest meat producer, says it has suspended shipments from a pig farm where workers were shown hitting, kicking and throwing pigs on undercover video. The Colorado-based company said it made the decision based on an initial review of the Mercy for Animals video at a Tosh Farms site in Simpson County, Kentucky, and will investigate the allegations.   

    >>
  • Medicaid expansion initiative qualifies for Idaho ballot

    Medicaid expansion initiative qualifies for Idaho ballot

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 7:05 PM EDT2018-07-17 23:05:44 GMT

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - A Medicaid expansion proposal has received enough signatures and will be on the November ballot. Idaho Secretary of State Lawerence Denney on Tuesday said more than 56,000 valid signatures have been counted. The signatures include at least 6 percent of the registered voters in at least 18 of Idaho's 35 legislative districts.    

    >>

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - A Medicaid expansion proposal has received enough signatures and will be on the November ballot. Idaho Secretary of State Lawerence Denney on Tuesday said more than 56,000 valid signatures have been counted. The signatures include at least 6 percent of the registered voters in at least 18 of Idaho's 35 legislative districts.    

    >>