Lawyer: Dividing Prince estate may be difficult - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Lawyer: Dividing Prince estate may be difficult

Posted: Updated:
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. -

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Latest on Prince's death and his estate (all times local):
    
1:40 p.m.
    
A top Minnesota probate lawyer says resolving Prince's estate may get extremely complicated if his siblings and half-siblings can't agree how to do it.
    
Prince's sister, Tyka Nelson, filed court documents Tuesday saying she knew of no will and asked the court to appoint a corporate trust company to oversee his estate.
    
Susan Link is head of the estate planning group at the Maslon law firm. She says that if Prince left no will or trust, it's going to be important for lawyers to get the siblings to agree on how to divide his complex estate.
    
Nelson is Prince's only full sibling. Her court papers list five half-siblings who also stand to share in the estate.
    
Prince died Thursday at age 57. An autopsy was done last week but results aren't expected to be released for weeks.
    
___
    
11:15 a.m.
    
Prince's sister says the superstar musician had no known will and she's filed paperwork asking a Minnesota court to appoint a special administrator to oversee his estate.
    
Tyka Nelson filed the paperwork Tuesday in Carver County probate court. Prince died at age 57 on Thursday at his estate in suburban Minneapolis. No cause of death has yet been released.
    
Nelson is his only surviving full sibling.
    
Nelson says in her filing that an emergency exists because immediate action is necessary to manage Prince's business interests. She's asked that Bremer Trust, a corporate trust company, be named administrator.
    
With some $27 million in property and an outpouring of nostalgia over the pop star's death, Prince's heirs could stand to inherit a small fortune. The size of the fortune isn't clear, and recent disputes suggest money was tight.
    
___
    
This story has been corrected to show that the filing was with a Minnesota court, not a court in Minneapolis.

(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 'The Old Man' from 'Pawn Stars', Richard Harrison, dies at the age of 77

    'The Old Man' from 'Pawn Stars', Richard Harrison, dies at the age of 77

    Monday, June 25 2018 11:44 AM EDT2018-06-25 15:44:31 GMT

    LAS VEGAS - Richard Benjamin Harrison, known as "The Old Man" on The History Channel's "Pawn Stars" passed away Monday morning at the age of 77.  A cause is not known at this time, but Harrison's son, Rick, said he was "surrounded by loving family this past weekend and went peacefully."  

    >>

    LAS VEGAS - Richard Benjamin Harrison, known as "The Old Man" on The History Channel's "Pawn Stars" passed away Monday morning at the age of 77.  A cause is not known at this time, but Harrison's son, Rick, said he was "surrounded by loving family this past weekend and went peacefully."  

    >>
  • Firefighter shot while responding to senior home dies

    Firefighter shot while responding to senior home dies

    Monday, June 25 2018 11:49 AM EDT2018-06-25 15:49:05 GMT

    LONG BEACH, Calif. - A firefighter who was shot while responding to an explosion and fire at a Southern California retirement home has died. Long Beach Fire Chief Mike DuRee announced that the firefighter had died about four hours after the shooting before dawn Monday. DuRee says the 45-year-old firefighter was a 17-year veteran of the department and leaves behind a wife and two children.

    >>

    LONG BEACH, Calif. - A firefighter who was shot while responding to an explosion and fire at a Southern California retirement home has died. Long Beach Fire Chief Mike DuRee announced that the firefighter had died about four hours after the shooting before dawn Monday. DuRee says the 45-year-old firefighter was a 17-year veteran of the department and leaves behind a wife and two children.

    >>
  • Trump trash talks restaurant that booted Sanders

    Trump trash talks restaurant that booted Sanders

    Monday, June 25 2018 8:32 AM EDT2018-06-25 12:32:36 GMT

    WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump is trash-talking a restaurant that refused to serve his press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders.  Trump said in a tweet Monday morning that The Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, Virginia "should focus more on cleaning its filthy canopies, doors and windows (badly needs a paint job) rather than refusing to serve a fine person like Sarah Huckabee Sanders."   

    >>

    WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump is trash-talking a restaurant that refused to serve his press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders.  Trump said in a tweet Monday morning that The Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, Virginia "should focus more on cleaning its filthy canopies, doors and windows (badly needs a paint job) rather than refusing to serve a fine person like Sarah Huckabee Sanders."   

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/