Sheriff's: Wildfire near Gorge amphitheater was 'accidental' - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Sheriff's: Wildfire near Gorge amphitheater was 'accidental'

Posted: Updated:
GEORGE, Wash. -

Grant County officials say a weekend wildfire that burned within three miles of the Gorge Amphitheatre was started when a campfire got out of control.
    
Grant County Sheriff's Office spokesman Kyle Foreman said Monday that the fire, which is under control, has been ruled accidental.
    
Foreman says boaters told authorities they came ashore Sunday afternoon to start a fire in a fire ring to barbecue, but the wind picked up and the fire got out of hand.
    
Foreman says the wildfire was no longer a threat. Crews on Monday were mopping up hot spots. The blaze prompted evacuations Sunday, but all evacuation orders were lifted by that night.
    
No structures were damaged and no injuries were reported. The blaze burned an estimated 600 acres of mostly sage and grass.
    
The amphitheater in George, Washington, is hosting its annual Memorial Day weekend event, the Sasquatch! music festival.

(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • New York State illegally moving convicted sex offenders from prisons into group homes with the developmentally disabled

    New York State illegally moving convicted sex offenders from prisons into group homes with the developmentally disabled

    Thursday, September 20 2018 9:14 AM EDT2018-09-20 13:14:31 GMT
    Three State agencies are involved in placing convicted sex offenders in group homes or hiding this information from the families and the general public>>
    Three State agencies are involved in placing convicted sex offenders in group homes or hiding this information from the families and the general public>>
  • Teacher fired after refusing to abide by ‘No zero' policy when students didn't hand in work

    Teacher fired after refusing to abide by ‘No zero' policy when students didn't hand in work

    Tuesday, September 25 2018 12:35 PM EDT2018-09-25 16:35:46 GMT

    A Florida history teacher says she was fired for refusing to give half-credit to students who didn't turn in their assignments.    Diane Tirado says her school along Florida's Treasure Coast had a "no zero" policy, requiring teachers to give students no less than a 50-percent grade on assignments.    

    >>

    A Florida history teacher says she was fired for refusing to give half-credit to students who didn't turn in their assignments.    Diane Tirado says her school along Florida's Treasure Coast had a "no zero" policy, requiring teachers to give students no less than a 50-percent grade on assignments.    

    >>
  • A bag for a bag: students tackle social stigma to fight food insecurity

    A bag for a bag: students tackle social stigma to fight food insecurity

    Tuesday, September 25 2018 2:15 AM EDT2018-09-25 06:15:59 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A problem within a solution – it’s a phrase so oxymoronic that it almost doesn’t make sense, but it’s crystal clear for a specific group of students at Lewis and Clark High School.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A problem within a solution – it’s a phrase so oxymoronic that it almost doesn’t make sense, but it’s crystal clear for a specific group of students at Lewis and Clark High School.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Falls are the number one cause of preventable death in Spokane

    Falls are the number one cause of preventable death in Spokane

    Tuesday, September 25 2018 10:29 PM EDT2018-09-26 02:29:22 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - It may be hard to believe, but the leading cause of death in Spokane is falling. More deadly than drug overdoses and car accidents. But one assisted living home is helping their seniors avoid bad falls. Everyone has seen the commercials that show an elderly person yelling for help after a fall.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - It may be hard to believe, but the leading cause of death in Spokane is falling. More deadly than drug overdoses and car accidents. But one assisted living home is helping their seniors avoid bad falls. Everyone has seen the commercials that show an elderly person yelling for help after a fall.

    >>
  • Spokane Valley neighborhood urges people to slow down

    Spokane Valley neighborhood urges people to slow down

    Tuesday, September 25 2018 10:12 PM EDT2018-09-26 02:12:57 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A Spokane Valley neighborhood has banded together to send this message: Slow down. Neighbors say speeding is a serious problem on 28th Ave. between Dishman Mica Rd. and University Rd. "I ask myself where do they get their licenses?" said Carol Gibson. "Out of Cracker Jack boxes? Off the internet? It makes you wonder." Gibson and other neighbors say they've tried calling the police

    >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A Spokane Valley neighborhood has banded together to send this message: Slow down. Neighbors say speeding is a serious problem on 28th Ave. between Dishman Mica Rd. and University Rd. "I ask myself where do they get their licenses?" said Carol Gibson. "Out of Cracker Jack boxes? Off the internet? It makes you wonder." Gibson and other neighbors say they've tried calling the police

    >>
  • Good Samaritan uses tourniquet to help save hit-and-run victim in north Spokane

    Good Samaritan uses tourniquet to help save hit-and-run victim in north Spokane

    Tuesday, September 25 2018 9:54 PM EDT2018-09-26 01:54:28 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A Spokane security guard never thought he'd have to use a tourniquet, but he still carries it with him just about everywhere he goes. "You never know when you're going to come across something where you could be the guy to help because you know what to do," said John Roach. " I wanted to help the guy and I was able to." Roach was driving on Market Street in north Spokane when he came across the aftermath of a hit-and-run. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A Spokane security guard never thought he'd have to use a tourniquet, but he still carries it with him just about everywhere he goes. "You never know when you're going to come across something where you could be the guy to help because you know what to do," said John Roach. " I wanted to help the guy and I was able to." Roach was driving on Market Street in north Spokane when he came across the aftermath of a hit-and-run. 

    >>