Mother of Sandy Hook victim posts emotional response to Orlando - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Mother of Sandy Hook victim posts emotional response to Orlando shooting

Facebook/Remembering Ana Márquez-Greene Facebook/Remembering Ana Márquez-Greene
KHQ.com -

"I am sorry that our tragedy here in Sandy hook wasn't enough to save your loved ones."

Powerful words from Nelba Marquez-Greene, a mother who has already experienced the ultimate loss when her daughter was one of 20 children killed at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2012. When Nelba heard the news of the massacre at an Orlando nightclub, her first reaction was internal shock and horror.

Since her daughter Ana's murder, Nelba maintains a Facebook in her honor and after hearing about the shooting at Pulse, she posted an incredibly emotional response, offering opinion and first-hand insight into yet another dark chapter in American history.

"I was sleeping in because we just got back from working in Canada. My friends came over for our scheduled morning walk. I didn't have my phone. I came home and my phone was buzzing like crazy. "Are you okay? "Where are you?" "I'm praying for you!" "I love you!"

I still didn't understand. I no longer have a personal Facebook and the TV wasn't on. I don't sign in to the news. I saw it on Twitter and watched the numbers rise in real time. First some dead, then multiple, then 20 and now 50.

My first reaction was visceral. I know the horror of waiting to hear. A helicopter flew overhead. It made everything too real. Too familiar. I panicked. I called my friend. I cried. Fifty people. I am reliving being one of the family members in wait.

And then she told me. An attack against people who are gay. A specific group. Just like last year around this time. The 17th of June. A Black church. My head is spinning.

"I can't go to Wisconsin."

I am tired. I just got back from Canada. And tomorrow is Wisconsin but now I am scared. I want to crawl up in a fetal position on the sofa and watch Harry Potter movies with my son. Perhaps I will build a bullet proof barrier around my house and just order groceries from Peapod all summer. Or for the rest of our lives.

But my message was and is and always will be "love wins". And this is why I must go to Wisconsin. How do I tell my son that fifty people all died the way his sister did? And in one of our favorite places: Orlando, Florida.

I am waiting for the church to be as outraged about gun violence as much as we seem to be about who pees where in a Target bathroom.

I have one message for those families in Florida:

I am sorry. I am so, so sorry. I am sorry that our tragedy here in Sandy hook wasn't enough to save your loved ones. I tried and I won't stop trying. Don't you dare even listen to even ONE person who may insinuate that somehow this is your loved ones fault because they were gay or any other reason. Nor is it God's wrath.

They did that to us on Sandy Hook- too. And it broke my heart. You will receive love from a million places. Embrace it. Take good care of yourself. This will be a forever journey. Some ugly will come your way too. Delete. Ignore. Let it go.

Your loss today will bring out the worst AND the best in all of us. May we commit to being our best selves in honor of what you now bear.

I am going to Wisconsin to spread the message that love wins. In honor of your loved ones. Because hate, ugly, evil and prejudice cannot silence love, courage, good.

I don't know what to tell my son. But know I will commit to learning about each and every one of your loved ones. And we will commit as a family to learning about their lives and the legacies you build in their memory. But I am so sorry. Because you shouldn't have to be doing this. You should be planning summer outings to the beach and barbecues and birthdays and graduations. And I know it will never be the same.

My son will learn about your loved ones. And we will not forget. We will say their names out loud. We will remember your children. As you remembered and learned about ours.

And dear friends with generous hearts- please WAIT to donate until you know for sure that your hard earned dollars will be received by VICTIMS... and not by individuals, groups and organizations designed to benefit from tragedies. America's mass shootings should not be the United Way's pay day or a specific town's funding source to build a senior center. Millions were poured in to Sandy Hook. Very little actually reached us. And victims of gun violence will have a lifetime of need. Before you give- ask where your dollars will go. Specify that you want it to go to victim families.

Friends- you are either a part of the problem or a part of the solution. Victims cannot bear the burden of this alone. Please help.

Bring up gun violence in your house of worship and/or community group. Join Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America or any other group like it that speaks to you.

And if someone is hurting you or bullying you because you are gay- please visit The Trevor Project or www.itgetsbetter.org

If you know someone who shows extreme hate of a group or individual, has access to weapons and you feel there is inherent risk of harm- please call your local police immediately. Let's be more than bystanders. Let's save lives.

From Sandy Hook. From Ana and Isaiah's mom and dad.

We love you. We are so very heartbroken.

Nelba Márquez-Greene
Jimmy Greene
Isaiah Márquez-Greene
The Ana Grace Project"

Coeur d'Alene Police investigating school shooting threat made on Snapchat

Friday, October 19 2018 1:04 AM EDT2018-10-19 05:04:39 GMT

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Coeur d'Alene Police are investigating a reported school shooting threat at Coeur d'Alene High School. A spokesperson for the district said that the threat was written on a napkin and shared  on Snapchat. It says: "CHS school shooting 10-19-18. Be ready." Police tell us that while they are still investigating whether the threat is credible, they do not believe the CHS that the note mentions is referring to Coeur d'Alene High School.

Explosive device that caused CdA evacuations rendered safe

Friday, October 19 2018 6:51 PM EDT2018-10-19 22:51:23 GMT

Ramsey Elementary and Coeur d' Alene Police station have been evacuated after an explosive device was brought to the station for disposal. Police have called in a bomb squad to dispose of the device and evacuated the buildings as a precaution. Coeur d' Alene School District released the following statement regarding the situation:

K9 Laslo passes away

Friday, October 19 2018 10:50 PM EDT2018-10-20 02:50:33 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - After struggling with medical issues recently, retired Spokane County Sheriff's Office K9 Laslo passed away early Friday morning.  "It is with the most heavy heart that I tell you K9 Laslo passed away this morning at 0115hrs," a post on Laslo's Facebook page said Friday morning. "There will be a piece of my heart always missing. To the best partner I ever had, R.I.P."

In full campaign mode, Trump calls Dems 'too extreme'

Saturday, October 20 2018 1:39 AM EDT2018-10-20 05:39:57 GMT

MESA, Ariz. (AP) - President Donald Trump says Democrats are "too extreme and too dangerous" to take control of Congress.    On a three-day swing out West to make his closing arguments for Republican candidates before the midterm elections, Trump sought to hone in on immigration as one of the defining election issues.

Judge tosses NRA lawsuit over Seattle's gun-storage law

Saturday, October 20 2018 1:29 AM EDT2018-10-20 05:29:05 GMT

SEATTLE (AP) - A judge has dismissed a lawsuit brought by the National Rifle Association against Seattle's new gun-storage law.    The Seattle Times reports King County Superior Court Judge Barbara Linde ruled Friday, tossing the lawsuit on technical grounds after the city contended the plaintiffs lacked standing and noted the law had yet to take effect.

Firefighters from 11 agencies respond to fire just outside Palouse

Saturday, October 20 2018 12:18 AM EDT2018-10-20 04:18:40 GMT

Firefighters from 11 different agencies rushed to a fire just outside of Palouse Friday. A farmer accidentally started the fire with a tractor. More than 8 acres were burned and the fire had started moving up a steep hill and into some timber before firefighters were able to get it under control. No one was hurt. Firefighters will be staying at the sight until midnight, but say the fire is about 99 percent contained.