Mother of Sandy Hook victim posts emotional response to Orlando - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Mother of Sandy Hook victim posts emotional response to Orlando shooting

Facebook/Remembering Ana Márquez-Greene Facebook/Remembering Ana Márquez-Greene
KHQ.com -

"I am sorry that our tragedy here in Sandy hook wasn't enough to save your loved ones."

Powerful words from Nelba Marquez-Greene, a mother who has already experienced the ultimate loss when her daughter was one of 20 children killed at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2012. When Nelba heard the news of the massacre at an Orlando nightclub, her first reaction was internal shock and horror.

Since her daughter Ana's murder, Nelba maintains a Facebook in her honor and after hearing about the shooting at Pulse, she posted an incredibly emotional response, offering opinion and first-hand insight into yet another dark chapter in American history.

"I was sleeping in because we just got back from working in Canada. My friends came over for our scheduled morning walk. I didn't have my phone. I came home and my phone was buzzing like crazy. "Are you okay? "Where are you?" "I'm praying for you!" "I love you!"

I still didn't understand. I no longer have a personal Facebook and the TV wasn't on. I don't sign in to the news. I saw it on Twitter and watched the numbers rise in real time. First some dead, then multiple, then 20 and now 50.

My first reaction was visceral. I know the horror of waiting to hear. A helicopter flew overhead. It made everything too real. Too familiar. I panicked. I called my friend. I cried. Fifty people. I am reliving being one of the family members in wait.

And then she told me. An attack against people who are gay. A specific group. Just like last year around this time. The 17th of June. A Black church. My head is spinning.

"I can't go to Wisconsin."

I am tired. I just got back from Canada. And tomorrow is Wisconsin but now I am scared. I want to crawl up in a fetal position on the sofa and watch Harry Potter movies with my son. Perhaps I will build a bullet proof barrier around my house and just order groceries from Peapod all summer. Or for the rest of our lives.

But my message was and is and always will be "love wins". And this is why I must go to Wisconsin. How do I tell my son that fifty people all died the way his sister did? And in one of our favorite places: Orlando, Florida.

I am waiting for the church to be as outraged about gun violence as much as we seem to be about who pees where in a Target bathroom.

I have one message for those families in Florida:

I am sorry. I am so, so sorry. I am sorry that our tragedy here in Sandy hook wasn't enough to save your loved ones. I tried and I won't stop trying. Don't you dare even listen to even ONE person who may insinuate that somehow this is your loved ones fault because they were gay or any other reason. Nor is it God's wrath.

They did that to us on Sandy Hook- too. And it broke my heart. You will receive love from a million places. Embrace it. Take good care of yourself. This will be a forever journey. Some ugly will come your way too. Delete. Ignore. Let it go.

Your loss today will bring out the worst AND the best in all of us. May we commit to being our best selves in honor of what you now bear.

I am going to Wisconsin to spread the message that love wins. In honor of your loved ones. Because hate, ugly, evil and prejudice cannot silence love, courage, good.

I don't know what to tell my son. But know I will commit to learning about each and every one of your loved ones. And we will commit as a family to learning about their lives and the legacies you build in their memory. But I am so sorry. Because you shouldn't have to be doing this. You should be planning summer outings to the beach and barbecues and birthdays and graduations. And I know it will never be the same.

My son will learn about your loved ones. And we will not forget. We will say their names out loud. We will remember your children. As you remembered and learned about ours.

And dear friends with generous hearts- please WAIT to donate until you know for sure that your hard earned dollars will be received by VICTIMS... and not by individuals, groups and organizations designed to benefit from tragedies. America's mass shootings should not be the United Way's pay day or a specific town's funding source to build a senior center. Millions were poured in to Sandy Hook. Very little actually reached us. And victims of gun violence will have a lifetime of need. Before you give- ask where your dollars will go. Specify that you want it to go to victim families.

Friends- you are either a part of the problem or a part of the solution. Victims cannot bear the burden of this alone. Please help.

Bring up gun violence in your house of worship and/or community group. Join Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America or any other group like it that speaks to you.

And if someone is hurting you or bullying you because you are gay- please visit The Trevor Project or www.itgetsbetter.org

If you know someone who shows extreme hate of a group or individual, has access to weapons and you feel there is inherent risk of harm- please call your local police immediately. Let's be more than bystanders. Let's save lives.

From Sandy Hook. From Ana and Isaiah's mom and dad.

We love you. We are so very heartbroken.

Nelba Márquez-Greene
Jimmy Greene
Isaiah Márquez-Greene
The Ana Grace Project"

13 semi-trucks park under Detroit overpass to help man considering suicide

Tuesday, April 24 2018 12:41 PM EDT2018-04-24 16:41:55 GMT

DETROIT - 13 semi-truck drivers parked their big rigs under a highway overpass early Tuesday morning to help shorten the fall of a man who was threatening to jump.  All lanes of Highway 696 were closed early Tuesday morning after a call came in just before 1:00 a.m. of a man threatening to jump.

Pierce County woman wakes up to stranger in her house rubbing her face

Tuesday, April 24 2018 1:11 AM EDT2018-04-24 05:11:05 GMT

PIERCE COUNTY, Wash. - A Pierce County woman was terrified over the weekend when she woke up to a stranger in her house rubbing her face. She ran to her neighbor's house and the neighbor contacted the Pierce County Sheriff's Office at around 5:30 a.m. on Sunday. Arriving deputies spoke with the neighbor who called 911.

Urgent care clinic closes in north Spokane

Tuesday, April 24 2018 3:52 PM EDT2018-04-24 19:52:10 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - An urgent care clinic in north Spokane has closed. The MultiCare Rockwood Urgent Care Center located at 9001 N. Country Homes Blvd. closed its doors on April 17. Patients looking for immediate services are being asked to use one of the other clinics listed here. According to a spokesperson with MultiCare, the lease for the building expires on April 30. MultiCare did not renew the lease. While the Urgent Care is closed,

Opioid crisis costs Washington state billions of dollars

Tuesday, April 24 2018 9:34 PM EDT2018-04-25 01:34:15 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - It's a battle the United States has been dealing with for years. That's the battle of opioid addiction. Addiction doesn't care who you are or what town you come from it impacts everyone. Small town America is taking the biggest hit when it comes to the opioid crisis. Ask doctor  David Tauben Chief of Pain Medicine at the University of Washington.

Man dies when tractor flips near Tacoma

Tuesday, April 24 2018 9:27 PM EDT2018-04-25 01:27:07 GMT
    Police find suspicious devicePolice find suspicious device

TACOMA, Wash. (AP) - Authorities say a man was killed near Tacoma when the tractor he was using flipped over.    The News Tribune reports the man apparently was attempting to pull a wooden pole out of the ground on a small farm in Parkland.    The Pierce County Sheriff's Office says he had attached a rope to the bottom of the pole and the tractor and at some point the tractor flipped.

Coroner: Inmates in South Carolina prison riot bled to death

Tuesday, April 24 2018 9:19 PM EDT2018-04-25 01:19:57 GMT

BISHOPVILLE, S.C. (AP) - A coroner says the seven inmates killed during a South Carolina prison riot earlier this month all bled to death from stab wounds.    Lee County Coroner Larry Logan said Tuesday all the inmates had several stab or cutting wounds inflicted inside Lee Correctional Institution on April 15 and 16.