Teen employee saves woman's life at grocery store - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Teen employee saves woman's life at grocery store

Two families holding their loved ones tighter tonight, after a weekend of scary close calls. Both happened in the Eagle Ridge neighborhood, south of Spokane. Fortunately, firefighters from the new station there were able to help save both lives. Interestingly enough, both emergencies happened at the Trading Company in the neighborhood.

Nineteen-year-old Christian Green works in the produce department. He says his shift Sunday started in a flurry of activity when someone went into cardiac arrest in the parking lot. He told his co-workers he was CPR certified in case something like that ever happened again. He didn't realize that conversation was foreshadowing the harrowing events to come just hours later.

"I had three employees come run up to me and say 'we have someone who's collapsed and we need you to do CPR on them,'" Green explained.

Green ran over to where the woman was lying. He checked her vitals. She didn't have a pulse. He started CPR.

"I was very nervous when I was doing it, but I couldn't think about that, because I needed to help her," Green said.

A nurse who worked next door ran over to help in the minutes they waited for the fire department, who showed up quickly and whisked her off to the hospital. But if it weren't for Green's quick action, things might have turned out differently.

"One thing I would suggest is getting certified in CPR, because you never know when something like this could happen. It could be at work, and wouldn't you want someone to do this to you?" Green said.

As of Tuesday, both people who went into sudden cardiac arrest are in the hospital.

A pet translator could be available in the next 10 years

Tuesday, January 16 2018 12:24 AM EST2018-01-16 05:24:08 GMT

What's the first thing you would do if you had a pet translator and you could understand your dog or cat? I'd probably immediately let my cat know how sorry I am for stepping on her tail all those times. Recent advances in artificial intelligence and machine learning suggest the dream of communicating with your pets could become a reality.

Parents arrested after 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, discovered held captive in California home

Tuesday, January 16 2018 2:09 AM EST2018-01-16 07:09:07 GMT

PERRIS, California - Two parents are being held on $9 million bail each after a horrific discovery at a home in Perris, California Sunday.  The Riverside County Sheriff's Department says a 17-year-old girl escaped from her house in the 100 block of Muir Woods Road, in Perris and managed to call 911 from a cell phone she found inside the house.

Intoxicated driver ditches stolen car after crashing into 6 vehicles downtown

Monday, January 15 2018 8:25 PM EST2018-01-16 01:25:56 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police responded to downtown Spokane Monday afternoon for a reported crash. The crash involved several vehicles and a drunk man taking off on foot, leaving his stolen vehicle behind. It happened around 1 p.m. Officers responded to the area of Main and Lincoln for a crash. As officers started to arrive in the area, they learned that the man who caused the crash was leaving the scene on foot.

Brother of Spokane Valley man who drove into Hayden Lake speaks

Tuesday, January 16 2018 9:59 PM EST2018-01-17 02:59:29 GMT

HAYDEN, Idaho - He was a brother, son, father and loved by many. 34-year-old Christopher Lancaster lost his life tragically after crashing his car into Hayden Lake over the weekend. Now his family wants his memory to live on. Chris' brother, Dustin, say Chris had just gotten a new IT job on Friday. Now he leaves behind two sons.

Potholes damage your car? You can file a claim but you probably won’t collect

Tuesday, January 16 2018 9:21 PM EST2018-01-17 02:21:32 GMT

SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. - Brenna Meredith described the feeling like being in a car accident. “I couldn’t avoid it and my car just thumped on the ground,” said Meredith. “And I was like oh my gosh that’s not good.” Meredith wasn’t in a car accident, she ran over a massive pothole on Regal St. near 57th Ave. “I broke my rim, I broke a piece of my bumper off, all the air was instantly gone out of my tire,”

New California? Longshot bid would split state in 2

Tuesday, January 16 2018 9:12 PM EST2018-01-17 02:12:10 GMT

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A fresh effort is underway to split California into multiple states, one including its coastal cities and the other its rural and inland areas.    "New California" is just the latest proposal to divvy up the nation's most populous state. But like efforts before it, it's highly unlikely to gain significant traction.