Quilting grandma competes in IRONMAN - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Quilting grandma competes in IRONMAN

"I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing. "I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing.
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -

Most days, you can find Dexter Yeats in her sewing room.

"I'm a typical grandmother. I make quilts. That's my hobby," she said.

But come summer, you're more likely to find her in Lake Coeur d'Alene, training for Ironman.

"I think a lot of them are shocked because I'm older," she said. "I get frequently asked my age."

Overcoming the odds is nothing new for Yeates. She started off by surprising her mom as a young girl.

"As a kid, I was always the sickly weak one. When I started doing triathlons, I think she was amazed. She wasn't sure I'd make it to adulthood," Yeates explained.

She hopes to be an inspiration for people who want to get into shape.

"It's not just the very young and slender who can do this," she said.

Her passion for racing started with horse racing as a young girl.

"Nobody saddled my horse for me. I did my own lifting," she examined. "You have to be able to deal with whatever comes your way."

At 70 years old, she's already completed eight full Ironman races.

"I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing.

That means training every single day. She's not always the fastest, but she makes it in time.  Because whether it's life, or Ironman, Dexter isn't one to take the easy way out.

"Giving up is hard to do. Keeping going is a whole lot easier," she said.

Employees attack, subdue would-be robber armed with box cutter

Tuesday, July 17 2018 12:10 AM EDT2018-07-17 04:10:47 GMT

TUCSON, Ariz. - A man armed with a box cutter got more than he bargained for when he tried to rob a Tucson, Arizona, restaurant last week.  Security shows the man, identified as 20-year-old Jerry Evans Madril, enter the Mi Nidito restaurant and demand money from employees. But the workers weren't having any of it.  At least six workers attacked Madril.

California motorcyclist dies in Rathdrum crash

Sunday, July 22 2018 9:41 PM EDT2018-07-23 01:41:46 GMT

RATHDRUM, Idaho - Idaho State Police responded to a fatal crash involving a California man Sunday afternoon in Rathdrum. Around 2:46 p.m., 68-year-old Jesse Villa of Torrance, Calif., was traveling westbound on Hwy 53 approaching Ramsey Rd. in a Honda motorcycle when 22-year-old Joseph Bitner of Athol, Idaho, turned to go northbound on Ramsey and collided with Villa's motorcycle. She was thrown from the motorcycle and succumbed to her injuries.

• Ritz Crackers, Ritz Bits recalled over salmonella concerns

Monday, July 23 2018 9:04 AM EDT2018-07-23 13:04:26 GMT

If you're a consumer of Ritz cracker products, check your cupboards! Mondelez, the New Jersey-based company that makes Ritz, has recalled 16 products due to possible salmonella contamination.  The products - including Ritz Cheese Cracker Sandwiches and Ritz Bits Cheese - have been recalled because they contain whey powder that could contain salmonella, the company said.

Citing Florida law, sheriff won't arrest parking lot shooter

Monday, July 23 2018 12:40 PM EDT2018-07-23 16:40:48 GMT

CLEARWATER, Fla. - A Florida sheriff says that he will not arrest a man who killed a man during an argument over a parking space. The Tampa Bay Times reports that Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri made the announcement Friday about 47-year-old Michael Drejka. Drejka shot and killed 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton a day earlier in a convenience store parking lot.

The Latest: Duck boats exempt from Missouri life jacket law

Monday, July 23 2018 11:55 AM EDT2018-07-23 15:55:20 GMT

BRANSON, Mo. - A Missouri law requires boat passengers ages 7 and younger to wear life jackets whenever they're on the water, but commercial vessels like the duck boat that sank in Table Rock Lake are exempt.    Seventeen people, including three ages 7 or younger, died Thursday when one of the amphibious vehicles sank amid churning waves. The victims were from Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana and Missouri.

Infowars host Alex Jones moves to dismiss Sandy Hook lawsuit

Monday, July 23 2018 11:54 AM EDT2018-07-23 15:54:45 GMT

HARTFORD, Conn. - Right-wing radio host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones is moving to dismiss a defamation lawsuit filed by the families of some of the 26 people killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting. In written arguments filed Friday, Jones' lawyers argue he was acting as a journalist in the tradition of Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein in questioning the official narrative of the Connecticut shooting.