Quilting grandma competes in IRONMAN - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Quilting grandma competes in IRONMAN

"I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing. "I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing.
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -

Most days, you can find Dexter Yeats in her sewing room.

"I'm a typical grandmother. I make quilts. That's my hobby," she said.

But come summer, you're more likely to find her in Lake Coeur d'Alene, training for Ironman.

"I think a lot of them are shocked because I'm older," she said. "I get frequently asked my age."

Overcoming the odds is nothing new for Yeates. She started off by surprising her mom as a young girl.

"As a kid, I was always the sickly weak one. When I started doing triathlons, I think she was amazed. She wasn't sure I'd make it to adulthood," Yeates explained.

She hopes to be an inspiration for people who want to get into shape.

"It's not just the very young and slender who can do this," she said.

Her passion for racing started with horse racing as a young girl.

"Nobody saddled my horse for me. I did my own lifting," she examined. "You have to be able to deal with whatever comes your way."

At 70 years old, she's already completed eight full Ironman races.

"I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing.

That means training every single day. She's not always the fastest, but she makes it in time.  Because whether it's life, or Ironman, Dexter isn't one to take the easy way out.

"Giving up is hard to do. Keeping going is a whole lot easier," she said.

Station: Video shows nurses laughing as 89-year-old dies

Sunday, November 19 2017 1:30 PM EST2017-11-19 18:30:54 GMT

ATLANTA (AP) - Two nurses lost their licenses after a television station persuaded courts to unseal a video secretly recorded by the family of a man who died in their care.    The video shows the World War II veteran repeatedly calling for help, saying he can't breathe. It also shows the nurses failing to take life-saving measures, and laughing as they try to start an oxygen machine.

Spokane's historic Ice Storm is now 21 years old

Sunday, November 19 2017 4:56 PM EST2017-11-19 21:56:04 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Friday marked two years since windstorm 2015 knocked down trees, caused massive damage and left thousands of people without power in and around Spokane. Just a few days later marks another historic weather-related anniversary in the region: Ice Storm 1996.

Shooting in North Spokane was domestic violence related

Sunday, November 19 2017 4:12 PM EST2017-11-19 21:12:10 GMT

Police say the girlfriend of a man shot Saturday night in north Spokane has been arrested on first degree assault charges. Officers were called to the 1600 block of E. Bismark Saturday night around 7 p.m. Responding officers found a man and woman inside an apartment. The man had been shot in the leg and the woman told police an intruder had come into their apartment and shot the victim in the leg, then took off.

Idaho teen recovering after being hit by a car

Monday, November 20 2017 12:03 AM EST2017-11-20 05:03:01 GMT

KOOTENAI COUNTY, Idaho - A 13-year-old boy is recovering after he was hit by a car on Seltice Way near State Line. The victim said moments after he was hit, the driver fled the scene. The boy's dad told KHQ's Hayley Guenthner that Saturday night around 9:00, his son went to grab a snack from the gas station about a block from their home. He said the car veered off the road and into the parking lot where his son was. When a woman came to

North Spokane Couple finds Bullet Lodged in Front Window

Sunday, November 19 2017 11:52 PM EST2017-11-20 04:52:38 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - A family is terrified after they say someone fired at least one shot at their home near Maple and Fairview. They believe the gunman targeted the wrong property. Danielle Rees and her husband discovered the bullet hole, and the bullet still lodged in their woodwork. It went through one of their front windows. "That's going to be my daughter's room," Danielle said. "What if she would have been there? What if my niece and

Airway Heights family's motor home stolen from their property

Sunday, November 19 2017 7:45 PM EST2017-11-20 00:45:43 GMT

AIRWAY HEIGHTS, Wash. - A family in Airway Heights never thought a theft like this would happen. “My husband and I were born and raised in Airway Heights. We feel violated,” say Tami Broderius, the homeowner. “You just never would think. It wasn't a little small camper. It was a pretty big motor home.” She says on Friday night the motor home was still there when she got home from work at 5 p.m. She went out to dinner with her family and when they came back th...