Quilting grandma competes in IRONMAN - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Quilting grandma competes in IRONMAN

"I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing. "I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing.
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -

Most days, you can find Dexter Yeats in her sewing room.

"I'm a typical grandmother. I make quilts. That's my hobby," she said.

But come summer, you're more likely to find her in Lake Coeur d'Alene, training for Ironman.

"I think a lot of them are shocked because I'm older," she said. "I get frequently asked my age."

Overcoming the odds is nothing new for Yeates. She started off by surprising her mom as a young girl.

"As a kid, I was always the sickly weak one. When I started doing triathlons, I think she was amazed. She wasn't sure I'd make it to adulthood," Yeates explained.

She hopes to be an inspiration for people who want to get into shape.

"It's not just the very young and slender who can do this," she said.

Her passion for racing started with horse racing as a young girl.

"Nobody saddled my horse for me. I did my own lifting," she examined. "You have to be able to deal with whatever comes your way."

At 70 years old, she's already completed eight full Ironman races.

"I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing.

That means training every single day. She's not always the fastest, but she makes it in time.  Because whether it's life, or Ironman, Dexter isn't one to take the easy way out.

"Giving up is hard to do. Keeping going is a whole lot easier," she said.

Coeur d'Alene Police investigating school shooting threat made on Snapchat

Friday, October 19 2018 1:04 AM EDT2018-10-19 05:04:39 GMT

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Coeur d'Alene Police are investigating a reported school shooting threat at Coeur d'Alene High School. A spokesperson for the district said that the threat was written on a napkin and shared  on Snapchat. It says: "CHS school shooting 10-19-18. Be ready." Police tell us that while they are still investigating whether the threat is credible, they do not believe the CHS that the note mentions is referring to Coeur d'Alene High School.

Explosive device that caused CdA evacuations rendered safe

Friday, October 19 2018 6:51 PM EDT2018-10-19 22:51:23 GMT

Ramsey Elementary and Coeur d' Alene Police station have been evacuated after an explosive device was brought to the station for disposal. Police have called in a bomb squad to dispose of the device and evacuated the buildings as a precaution. Coeur d' Alene School District released the following statement regarding the situation:

K9 Laslo passes away

Friday, October 19 2018 10:50 PM EDT2018-10-20 02:50:33 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - After struggling with medical issues recently, retired Spokane County Sheriff's Office K9 Laslo passed away early Friday morning.  "It is with the most heavy heart that I tell you K9 Laslo passed away this morning at 0115hrs," a post on Laslo's Facebook page said Friday morning. "There will be a piece of my heart always missing. To the best partner I ever had, R.I.P."

In full campaign mode, Trump calls Dems 'too extreme'

Saturday, October 20 2018 1:39 AM EDT2018-10-20 05:39:57 GMT

MESA, Ariz. (AP) - President Donald Trump says Democrats are "too extreme and too dangerous" to take control of Congress.    On a three-day swing out West to make his closing arguments for Republican candidates before the midterm elections, Trump sought to hone in on immigration as one of the defining election issues.

Judge tosses NRA lawsuit over Seattle's gun-storage law

Saturday, October 20 2018 1:29 AM EDT2018-10-20 05:29:05 GMT

SEATTLE (AP) - A judge has dismissed a lawsuit brought by the National Rifle Association against Seattle's new gun-storage law.    The Seattle Times reports King County Superior Court Judge Barbara Linde ruled Friday, tossing the lawsuit on technical grounds after the city contended the plaintiffs lacked standing and noted the law had yet to take effect.

Firefighters from 11 agencies respond to fire just outside Palouse

Saturday, October 20 2018 12:18 AM EDT2018-10-20 04:18:40 GMT

Firefighters from 11 different agencies rushed to a fire just outside of Palouse Friday. A farmer accidentally started the fire with a tractor. More than 8 acres were burned and the fire had started moving up a steep hill and into some timber before firefighters were able to get it under control. No one was hurt. Firefighters will be staying at the sight until midnight, but say the fire is about 99 percent contained.