Quilting grandma competes in IRONMAN - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Quilting grandma competes in IRONMAN

"I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing. "I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing.
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -

Most days, you can find Dexter Yeats in her sewing room.

"I'm a typical grandmother. I make quilts. That's my hobby," she said.

But come summer, you're more likely to find her in Lake Coeur d'Alene, training for Ironman.

"I think a lot of them are shocked because I'm older," she said. "I get frequently asked my age."

Overcoming the odds is nothing new for Yeates. She started off by surprising her mom as a young girl.

"As a kid, I was always the sickly weak one. When I started doing triathlons, I think she was amazed. She wasn't sure I'd make it to adulthood," Yeates explained.

She hopes to be an inspiration for people who want to get into shape.

"It's not just the very young and slender who can do this," she said.

Her passion for racing started with horse racing as a young girl.

"Nobody saddled my horse for me. I did my own lifting," she examined. "You have to be able to deal with whatever comes your way."

At 70 years old, she's already completed eight full Ironman races.

"I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing.

That means training every single day. She's not always the fastest, but she makes it in time.  Because whether it's life, or Ironman, Dexter isn't one to take the easy way out.

"Giving up is hard to do. Keeping going is a whole lot easier," she said.

Tsunami warning withdrawn for West Coast after 8.2 magnitude quake hits Alaska

Tuesday, January 23 2018 10:37 AM EST2018-01-23 15:37:25 GMT

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - The Latest on an Alaska earthquake that prompted a tsunami warning for coastal Alaska, Canada's British Columbia and the West Coast of the U.S. (all times local):   2:45 a.m.   Larry LeDoux, superintendent of the Kodiak Island Borough School District, says schools were open as shelters and estimated there were about 500 people at the high school.

Same-sex active-duty couple marries at West Point

Sunday, January 21 2018 3:25 PM EST2018-01-21 20:25:00 GMT

WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) - Two Army captains who met at West Point have returned there to be married, in what is believed to be the first same-sex marriage of active-duty personnel at the storied New York military academy.    The New York Times reports Captains Daniel Hall and Vincent Franchino were married on Jan. 13. They're both Apache helicopter pilots stationed at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas.

Family: Woman injured at Ice Ribbon passes away

Tuesday, January 23 2018 2:04 AM EST2018-01-23 07:04:49 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The woman critically injured at the Ice Ribbon in Riverfront Park last week has passed away, according to family.  Over the weekend, the City of Spokane Parks and Recreation Department reported the woman had passed away, only to correct that release and say she was still in critical condition.

Ulta accused of reselling used beauty products

Tuesday, January 23 2018 12:20 PM EST2018-01-23 17:20:52 GMT

KHQ.COM - Beauty superstore Ulta is facing accusations of unsanitary business practices. A woman claiming to be a former employee took to twitter saying the company re-packages and re-sells used makeup. She also posted images to her account, showing what she says is returned merchandise which is then cleaned and put back on the shelves.

Governor: 1 dead, many injured in high school shooting in southwest Kentucky

Tuesday, January 23 2018 11:01 AM EST2018-01-23 16:01:31 GMT

BENTON, Ky. - Kentucky State Police say the suspected shooter at a high school was apprehended by a Marshall County deputy. The Tuesday morning shooting at Marshall County High School in southwest Kentucky has left one person dead and others wounded. State police didn't provide any other immediate details about the shooter or the apprehension.

Tsunami warning withdrawn for West Coast after 8.2 magnitude quake hits Alaska