Quilting grandma competes in IRONMAN - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Quilting grandma competes in IRONMAN

"I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing. "I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing.
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -

Most days, you can find Dexter Yeats in her sewing room.

"I'm a typical grandmother. I make quilts. That's my hobby," she said.

But come summer, you're more likely to find her in Lake Coeur d'Alene, training for Ironman.

"I think a lot of them are shocked because I'm older," she said. "I get frequently asked my age."

Overcoming the odds is nothing new for Yeates. She started off by surprising her mom as a young girl.

"As a kid, I was always the sickly weak one. When I started doing triathlons, I think she was amazed. She wasn't sure I'd make it to adulthood," Yeates explained.

She hopes to be an inspiration for people who want to get into shape.

"It's not just the very young and slender who can do this," she said.

Her passion for racing started with horse racing as a young girl.

"Nobody saddled my horse for me. I did my own lifting," she examined. "You have to be able to deal with whatever comes your way."

At 70 years old, she's already completed eight full Ironman races.

"I get a little bit competitive, and I try to go as hard as I can," she said, laughing.

That means training every single day. She's not always the fastest, but she makes it in time.  Because whether it's life, or Ironman, Dexter isn't one to take the easy way out.

"Giving up is hard to do. Keeping going is a whole lot easier," she said.

Police say 8 dead in Mississippi shooting

Sunday, May 28 2017 2:16 PM EDT2017-05-28 18:16:56 GMT

BROOKHAVEN, Miss. (AP) - Authorities say a shooting spree that left eight people dead in Mississippi began with a call regarding a domestic dispute.      The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation said in a news release Sunday that three female victims and a Lincoln County sheriff's deputy were killed.

Police: Woman locked her kids in car trunk while she shopped

Saturday, May 27 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-05-27 20:26:48 GMT

RIVERDALE, Utah (AP) - A 39-year-old Utah woman has been arrested after she allegedly locked her two young children in her car's trunk while she went inside a Wal-Mart store to shop. Riverdale police say witnesses heard the children ages 2 and 5 making noise and saw the car shaking, got the older child to pull the emergency latch and called 911.

Jack Stockton, former owner of Jack and Dan's, passes away at 89

Sunday, May 28 2017 12:34 PM EDT2017-05-28 16:34:05 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Jack Stockton, the former owner of Jack and Dan's Bar and Grill, and father of Hall of Fame basketball player John Stockton, passed away Saturday at the age of 89. Hennessey Funeral Home will be handling the funeral arrangements.

One person facing arson charge in fires along Fish Lake Trail

Sunday, May 28 2017 9:44 PM EDT2017-05-29 01:44:08 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Update: Police say one person is in custody facing a charge of second degree arson in connection to a series of six brush fires started near the Fish Lake Trail. Police describe the person as a 51-year-old transient man living in the woods in the area.

PHOTOS: Northern Lights dazzle across the region

Sunday, May 28 2017 9:28 PM EDT2017-05-29 01:28:09 GMT

KHQ.com - If you were up late Saturday night and looking up at the sky, you were treated to a beautiful light show courtesy of Mother Nature. Independence Day fireworks are still about a month away, but Saturday's Northern Lights display was just as dazzling. Several of you shared your photos with us. Click through the slide show above to see some of the photos sent to us.

Two apartments damaged in fire on E. Euclid

Sunday, May 28 2017 8:47 PM EDT2017-05-29 00:47:10 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Fire crews were called to a fire at an apartment complex in the 2500 block of E. Euclid Ave. Sunday afternoon. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire, but two apartments did sustain damage. No one was home at the time and no injuries were reported.