Mad Minute stories from Wednesday, August 17th - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Mad Minute stories from Wednesday, August 17th

Posted: Updated:

BERLIN (AP) -- A BMW driver brought out the wurst in a pedestrian in Germany, who dented the luxury vehicle with a 30 centimeter (foot-long) bologna saying the car was going too fast and endangering his son.
Police in the eastern city of Neubrandenburg said Wednesday the sausage strife broke out over the weekend when the 49-year-old man and his 8-year-old son were crossing the street.
As a 47-year-old BMW driver tried to scoot quickly into a nearby parking spot, the pedestrian yelled "stop" but after the car didn't slow, he threw the sausage he was carrying at it.
The bologna triumphed over Bavarian engineering, leaving a small dent in the BMW's back right door.
Police say the pedestrian is suspected of causing property damage.
The bologna was not seized as evidence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BERLIN (AP) -- Four wheels bad, two wheels good.
That's what German police must have thought when their car got stuck on a narrow path while pursuing a moped-riding suspect. Rather than give up, one of the officers jumped on a child's bike and successfully chased down and arrested the 27-year-old suspect.
Police say the suspect, who had evaded a traffic stop Tuesday in the southern German town of Bamberg, was found to be carrying drugs and driving under the influence.
Police spokeswoman Silke Gahn said Wednesday the officer, after the arrest, gratefully returned the 22-inch bike he had borrowed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEWARK VALLEY, N.Y. (AP) -- The images of Mario, Luigi and friends have been carved into the fields of an upstate New York farm as part of a corn maze based on Nintendo's "Super Mario Bros." game series.
ABC News reports it's the latest installment of an annual themed maze at the Stoughton Farm in Newark Valley. Owner Tom Stoughton says the farm's mazes typically attract about 10,000 visitors annually.
An aerial photo of the 8-acre maze clearly shows Mario, Luigi and fellow Mario Bros. characters Princess Peach, Toad and Yoshi carved into the cornfield. Stoughton says he created the maze based on a design by a Utah company. He says creating the maze usually takes a few weeks and involves "a lot of math."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CORNELIUS, Ore. (AP) -- A small fire on an Oregon farmer's field whipped up several firenados - tornados comprised of flames and smoke.
The smoky twisters cropped up in the field after a piece of farming equipment on Friday sparked the fire, which ultimately burned about 7 acres.
Cornelius Fire Department spokesman Matt Johnston said erratic winds contributed to the flaming phenomenon. He said the fire sucks in oxygen to fuel itself and the heat rises, causing the spinning column of flames and smoke.
Johnston filmed one in an adjacent field that swirled for about two minutes and shot up about 200 feet.
While Oregon has had a tame wildfire season so far, Johnston said three days of expected triple digit heat has crews worried.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The editor of the Philadelphia Daily News is apologizing for his newspaper running a photo of American gymnast Simone Biles with a column about fellow Olympian Gabby Douglas.
Michael Days took to Twitter Wednesday to say editors "screwed up." He says "we are embarrassed, and we apologize."
Ronnie Polaneczky wrote the column titled "She Can Vault Over the Vitriol" about the onslaught of mean comments Douglas has faced on social media during the Rio games. However, the photo accompanying the column shows Biles mid-routine with a caption reading: "Gabby Douglas: Olympic Gold Medalist, need we say more?"
Polaneczky tells WCAU-TV she was "mortified" when she saw the photo error.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STELLENBOSCH, South Africa (AP) - The quacking is soft at first amid the vineyards that roll for miles in this South African wine-making town.
But then the duck handlers whistle and wave their white flags, and the noise reaches a crescendo. All 1,071 ducks huddle at the gate that separates them from the vineyards.
It's time to go to work, and the daily duck parade is about to start.
This wine farm is winning praise from environmentalists for using Indian runner ducks instead of chemicals to eradicate pests like snails and bugs from its vineyards.
The duck parade is also a colorful affair that attracts tourists.
John Faure, whose family had owned the Vergenoegd wine estate since 1820, imported six Indian runner ducks in 1984 to control pests in his garden. He then started breeding them and, as the workforce grew, so did their job description.
The estate, which was recently sold to a German owner, continues to use the ducks for pest control although it is much more expensive than pesticides, said the vineyard's social media manager David Badenhorst. The ducks cost an average of $2,300, while more conventional methods would cost that amount per year, he said. Using the ducks is more sustainable, Badenhorst said.
"If you use conventional pest control, those chemicals are absorbed into the soil, which affects the growth of the vines and kills insects," he said. "Our ducks go into the vineyards and they eat the snails and snail eggs while fertilizing the soil."
Duck handler Denzil Matthys has worked with the ducks for the past three years and says he has grown to love the creatures.
"When I started here I used to eat ducks," he said, "But since I have started working with them, duck is not my favorite thing to eat anymore."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEENE, N.H. (AP) - A lifelike baby doll prompted police in New Hampshire to smash a car window in a rescue attempt that turned out to be a false alarm.
WMUR-TV reports police in the town of Keene say someone called them last month to report an infant left in a car at a shopping plaza on a hot day. Lt. Jason Short shattered the window with his baton. He tells the station he thought he was looking at a lifeless child, but noticed something was off when he began to breathe into the baby's mouth.
The station reports the lifelike doll belongs to a Vermont woman who collects them as a way to cope with her son's death. She says police told her they would pay for the broken window.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARIS (AP) - A French mayor has denounced the "anarchical settlement" of "Pokemon Go" characters on the "territory" of his eastern village and has ordered the game's creator to remove the virtual creatures.
Bressolles Mayor Fabrice Beauvois said Tuesday that he has mailed a decree to California-based Niantic Inc. and The Pokemon Company to make sure they stop setting up Pokemons in the village of about 800 inhabitants northeast of Lyon.
In his decree, the mayor says the search for Pokemons puts pedestrians and drivers at risk because players get inattentive while watching their smartphones and that it may also result in groups of people forming at night.
The game, increasingly popular around the world, sends players into the real world to search for digital monsters known as Pokemons, which appear on their smartphone screens.
Beauvois insisted in a phone interview with The Associated Press that his order, issued last week, is only targeting the two companies, not the players. He said that Bressolles is the first French municipality to issue such a decree.
The mayor lamented the settlement of Pokemon characters on the "territory" of his village without Niantic asking for prior authorization.
"When a cafe or a restaurant owner wants to open a business in any French town, they have an obligation to request prior authorization to the mayor. The rule applies to all people wishing to set up an activity or occupy a space on a public property. So it applies to Niantic as well, even though their settlement is virtual," Beauvois said.
Beauvois maintains the "Pokemon Go" phenomenon is spreading in a "contagious" way, that the game may lead to a "dangerous addiction" among young people and that it is his responsibility to ensure public tranquility and order.
"They (Niantic developers) use the entire planet as a playground," he said.
The mayor said he wants to raise a debate about the issue and that local citizens are happy with the decree. He acknowledged he is unaware of any incidents related to a Pokemon search in his village but he wants to keep his village "quiet." He was told Pokemon figures have been found by Bressolles' war memorial.
Following recent complaints, Niantic has removed game stops from sensitive sites, including from the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, Japan's Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Cambodia's genocide museum.
Niantic didn't immediately respond to a message seeking a comment on the mayor's decree. However, last week a Niantic spokesman said in a statement that the company is "moving quickly to review and address all such requests" and that property owners can request the removal of a stop by visiting the "Pokemon Go" website.
Iran has prohibited "Pokemon Go" entirely, Israel has banned it from military bases and Indonesia has barred it from the presidential palace, citing national security issues.
In France, authorities have often tried to regulate new technology that oversteps traditional legal boundaries, targeting companies like Facebook, Twitter, Google or Uber in the past.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you've ever been really, really tired, maybe you can identify with the man in this story. 
A man in Southport, Merseyside, England was headed to work Thursday morning, when he noticed a stranger sleeping on top of his neighbor's car. 
Ben Jones says he couldn't resist taking a picture, because of the sheer hilarity of the situation. 
When Jones came home three hours later for a lunch break, the sleeping man had disappeared. 
He says he assumes alcohol was involved in the young sleeper's decision to pass out in the unlikely spot, but we'll never know for sure. His best guess is that someone else saw him and woke him up. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite some million-to-one odds, two twin sisters gave birth in the same hospital, on the same ward. The only difference, was that the births were a few hours apart, which actually made them on different days. 
Fraternal twins 21-year-olds Natalie and Leanne Paulson were due about a week apart, but sure enough when one went into labor at the Leicester Royal Infirmary, the other did too. 
Leanne's son Carter weighed in a 8lbs, 8oz, born at 6:17pm. Natalie's daughter Mia-Rose weighed 8lbs 2oz, but was born at 12:02am the next day. 
Ironically enough, the sisters also found out they were pregnant on the same day, 9 months ago. 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Woman prevents girl's kidnapping by pretending to be her mother

    Woman prevents girl's kidnapping by pretending to be her mother

    Saturday, February 24 2018 5:24 PM EST2018-02-24 22:24:02 GMT
    Santa Ana Police DepartmentSanta Ana Police Department
    Santa Ana Police DepartmentSanta Ana Police Department

    SANTA ANA, Calif. - A woman was arrested Wednesday after she allegedly tried to kidnap a 12-year-old girl who was on her way to school in Santa Ana, California. Police are crediting another woman with preventing it from happening.  KTLA reports that Amy Martinez was on her way to Lathrop Intermediate School when she was confronted by a woman who was described as homeless. "She just came up to me and went like this," Amy said, simulating a bear-hug.

    >>

    SANTA ANA, Calif. - A woman was arrested Wednesday after she allegedly tried to kidnap a 12-year-old girl who was on her way to school in Santa Ana, California. Police are crediting another woman with preventing it from happening.  KTLA reports that Amy Martinez was on her way to Lathrop Intermediate School when she was confronted by a woman who was described as homeless. "She just came up to me and went like this," Amy said, simulating a bear-hug.

    >>
  • Make-A-Wish grants local boy's wish

    Make-A-Wish grants local boy's wish

    Saturday, February 24 2018 8:27 PM EST2018-02-25 01:27:24 GMT

    Spokane, Wash. 14-year-old Jack Sleeth of Spokane has always had a passion for cars and trucks. He was only 4-years-old when he inherited his grandfather's 1968 Ford F-Series pick-up truck. Growing up Jack used the truck as a playhouse to feel closer to his grandfather when he passed, "this is my first one and I just always sit in it, I learned how to drive stick in it," said Jack telling us the history he has with the truck. Just over a year and a half ago, Jack suddenl

    >>

    Spokane, Wash. 14-year-old Jack Sleeth of Spokane has always had a passion for cars and trucks. He was only 4-years-old when he inherited his grandfather's 1968 Ford F-Series pick-up truck. Growing up Jack used the truck as a playhouse to feel closer to his grandfather when he passed, "this is my first one and I just always sit in it, I learned how to drive stick in it," said Jack telling us the history he has with the truck. Just over a year and a half ago, Jack suddenl

    >>
  • Surgical team removes 4 pound brain tumor from man in Mumbai

    Surgical team removes 4 pound brain tumor from man in Mumbai

    Saturday, February 24 2018 4:53 PM EST2018-02-24 21:53:46 GMT
    NBC NewsNBC News
    NBC NewsNBC News

    MUMBAI - A surgical team in India successfully removed a massive brain tumor from a man Thursday, weighing over 4 pounds. It was a lengthy, nearly seven-hour procedure and doctors believe it could be the heaviest ever recorded.  The tumor, which protruded from the top of the man's skull, was so large that it seemed “like a head on top of another head,” Trimurti Nadkarni, head of the neurosurgery department at Nair Hospital, told the Indian Express.

    >>

    MUMBAI - A surgical team in India successfully removed a massive brain tumor from a man Thursday, weighing over 4 pounds. It was a lengthy, nearly seven-hour procedure and doctors believe it could be the heaviest ever recorded.  The tumor, which protruded from the top of the man's skull, was so large that it seemed “like a head on top of another head,” Trimurti Nadkarni, head of the neurosurgery department at Nair Hospital, told the Indian Express.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • White House will see if North Korea is serious about talks

    White House will see if North Korea is serious about talks

    Sunday, February 25 2018 2:54 PM EST2018-02-25 19:54:41 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House says it will see whether North Korea's interest in opening talks with the U.S. marks the first step toward removing nuclear weapons from the Korean Peninsula.    White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders says President Donald Trump remains committed to achieving the "complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization" of the peninsula.

    >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House says it will see whether North Korea's interest in opening talks with the U.S. marks the first step toward removing nuclear weapons from the Korean Peninsula.    White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders says President Donald Trump remains committed to achieving the "complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization" of the peninsula.

    >>
  • Couple pleads not guilty to new child abuse charges

    Couple pleads not guilty to new child abuse charges

    Sunday, February 25 2018 2:48 PM EST2018-02-25 19:48:56 GMT

    RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) - A California couple already accused of starving and shackling some of their 13 children has pleaded not guilty to new charges of child abuse.    David and Louise Turpin entered pleas Friday to three new charges of abuse. Louise Turpin also pleaded not guilty to a count of felony assault.

    >>

    RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) - A California couple already accused of starving and shackling some of their 13 children has pleaded not guilty to new charges of child abuse.    David and Louise Turpin entered pleas Friday to three new charges of abuse. Louise Turpin also pleaded not guilty to a count of felony assault.

    >>
  • White House answers online petitions, ducks tax-return issue

    White House answers online petitions, ducks tax-return issue

    Sunday, February 25 2018 2:37 PM EST2018-02-25 19:37:10 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - After more than a year of silence, the Trump administration is beginning to address a backlog of petitions signed by Americans on the White House website.    But the White House is ducking a high-profile petition calling on President Donald Trump to release his tax returns. That petition attracted more than 100,000 signatures.

    >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - After more than a year of silence, the Trump administration is beginning to address a backlog of petitions signed by Americans on the White House website.    But the White House is ducking a high-profile petition calling on President Donald Trump to release his tax returns. That petition attracted more than 100,000 signatures.

    >>