USOC: American swimmers Conger, Bentz removed from flight to US - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

USOC: American swimmers Conger, Bentz removed from flight to US

Posted: Updated:
Ryan Lochte speaking to the Today Show about the robbery. Ryan Lochte speaking to the Today Show about the robbery.
RIO DE JANEIRO -

On Wednesday two members of the US men's swimming team are being held by police in Brazil.

Officers actually removed Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz from their plane headed to the US before it took off. It was just hours after a judge ordered them, and two other American swimmers to stay in the country.

The Brazilian judge issued warrants for Ryan Lochte and three of his teammates, citing inconsistencies in their testimony about getting robbed at gunpoint over the weekend.

Lochte and James Feigen are already in the US, but police in Brazil are now questioning Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz.

Earlier this week, the swimmers said they were held up in a taxi in Rio.

"The guy pulled out his gun," Lochte told the Today Show. "He cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said get down and I was like, I put my hands up, I was like whatever.  He took our money, he took my wallet."

Police first started being skeptical about the robbery, after security video surfaced of the swimmers coming back to the Olympic village after the incident, looking like nothing had happened. 

Investigators are now trying to figure out if the swimmers lied to police about the robbery. 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 8 people killed in eastern Oregon vehicle crash

    8 people killed in eastern Oregon vehicle crash

    Tuesday, August 14 2018 1:19 AM EDT2018-08-14 05:19:31 GMT

    PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Authorities say eight people were killed in a crash involving two vehicles in the high desert of eastern Oregon.    The Oregonian/OregonLive reports the head-on collision happened after 10 a.m. Monday on Oregon Route 78 southeast of the small town of Burns.    Oregon State Police Capt. 

    >>

    PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Authorities say eight people were killed in a crash involving two vehicles in the high desert of eastern Oregon.    The Oregonian/OregonLive reports the head-on collision happened after 10 a.m. Monday on Oregon Route 78 southeast of the small town of Burns.    Oregon State Police Capt. 

    >>
  • Grizzly bear spotted in Athol/Garwood area

    Grizzly bear spotted in Athol/Garwood area

    Tuesday, August 14 2018 2:11 AM EDT2018-08-14 06:11:51 GMT

    KOOTENAI COUNTY, Idaho - The Idaho Department of Fish and Game wants to warn you about a grizzly bear that's been roaming around the Athol and Garwood area. Multiple people have reported seeing it, and wildlife officers have set up a trap to catch it, but so far they've been having trouble finding it. KHQ spoke with one woman who says the bear walked through her yard. 

    >>

    KOOTENAI COUNTY, Idaho - The Idaho Department of Fish and Game wants to warn you about a grizzly bear that's been roaming around the Athol and Garwood area. Multiple people have reported seeing it, and wildlife officers have set up a trap to catch it, but so far they've been having trouble finding it. KHQ spoke with one woman who says the bear walked through her yard. 

    >>
  • Spokane Valley flag football fields found vandalized

    Spokane Valley flag football fields found vandalized

    Tuesday, August 14 2018 2:16 AM EDT2018-08-14 06:16:01 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash.- A flag football league in Spokane Valley is preparing for their first practice next week but organizers say they can't help but feel disappointed because someone suddenly vandalized the fields they have put so much work into. "We're pretty disappointed, a little beat up," said Jeff Miller, the Director for Upward Flag Football and Cheerleading. 

    >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash.- A flag football league in Spokane Valley is preparing for their first practice next week but organizers say they can't help but feel disappointed because someone suddenly vandalized the fields they have put so much work into. "We're pretty disappointed, a little beat up," said Jeff Miller, the Director for Upward Flag Football and Cheerleading. 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • City Council moves to preserve famed Seattle music venue

    City Council moves to preserve famed Seattle music venue

    Tuesday, August 14 2018 11:26 AM EDT2018-08-14 15:26:53 GMT

    SEATTLE, Wash. - An iconic Seattle music venue that could've been slated for destruction has been given a temporary reprieve  The City Council voted 8-0 Monday to include the Showbox in the Pike Place Market historic district. KOMO reports that would temporarily stop plans to construct a 44-story building on the site by a Vancouver, B.C. development company, the Onni Group.  

    >>

    SEATTLE, Wash. - An iconic Seattle music venue that could've been slated for destruction has been given a temporary reprieve  The City Council voted 8-0 Monday to include the Showbox in the Pike Place Market historic district. KOMO reports that would temporarily stop plans to construct a 44-story building on the site by a Vancouver, B.C. development company, the Onni Group.  

    >>
  • Police look into video of man spanking hippo at LA Zoo

    Tuesday, August 14 2018 10:40 AM EDT2018-08-14 14:40:45 GMT

    LOS ANGELES - Police are investigating after a video shows a man spanking a hippopotamus at the Los Angeles Zoo. The video shows the man crossing a railing last week and sneaking up on two hippos, Rosie and Mara. He smacks Rosie on the rear and her mother lifts her head as the man runs off and raises his arms in gesture of victory. 

    >>

    LOS ANGELES - Police are investigating after a video shows a man spanking a hippopotamus at the Los Angeles Zoo. The video shows the man crossing a railing last week and sneaking up on two hippos, Rosie and Mara. He smacks Rosie on the rear and her mother lifts her head as the man runs off and raises his arms in gesture of victory. 

    >>
  • 22 dead and 8 injured in Italy bridge collapse

    22 dead and 8 injured in Italy bridge collapse

    Tuesday, August 14 2018 10:34 AM EDT2018-08-14 14:34:12 GMT

    GENOA, Italy - Italian deputy transport minister Edoardo Rixi says the number of victims in the Genoa highway bridge collapse has risen to at least 22 dead and eight injured. Rixi told Sky TG24 that, as he was speaking, emergency response crews were recovering a body from an automobile that was suspended on a central part of the bridge.

    >>

    GENOA, Italy - Italian deputy transport minister Edoardo Rixi says the number of victims in the Genoa highway bridge collapse has risen to at least 22 dead and eight injured. Rixi told Sky TG24 that, as he was speaking, emergency response crews were recovering a body from an automobile that was suspended on a central part of the bridge.

    >>