Spokane kindergartner walks away from school unnoticed - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Spokane kindergartner walks away from school unnoticed

It's one of the great fears for parents, your child disappears from class and no one from the school notices. That's exactly what happened for one Spokane mom. Her 5-year-old daughter, a kindergartner, walked away from her Sheridan Elementary classroom undetected by staff. Her mother said she was gone more than 30 minutes.

"I thought somebody was playing a joke on me," Tara Clemm said. "They asked me 'do you know where your daughter is,' I said yeah, she's where she's supposed to be in school. They said we actually have her, she's out in the (Spokane) Valley on a city bus."

The 'they' Tara is referring to is a local police officer. She immediately called her daughter Morgan's school to see if there was a mistake.

After being put on what she says was an uncomfortably long hold, Tara hung up and called back. This time the principal picked up, confirming her fears.

She arranged to meet police at the school to get her daughter, and the wild story.

"The first thing she said to me when she hopped out of the police car is 'Mom, I went on an adventure,'" Tara said.

An adventure that took her several miles away from Sheridan, deep into the valley. One that could have easily turned into unimaginable tragedy.

"She was trying to cross Freya, a gentleman driving a truck pulled over the help her," Tara said. "At that time, an STA bus pulled up. They talked and decided to put her on the bus where she was safe."

Tara said she was told, the decision was made to keep little Morgan on board as the driver carried on his route. This way she was protected, as the driver could arrange a pick-up with police. Tara said the bus driver is nothing short of a guardian angel.

"Thank you so much for taking care of my little girl, without you, who knows what would have happened," Tara said.

Tara is now hoping to meet both drivers who helped to thank them in person.

Police told her Morgan knew her mother's full name and phone number, making the reunion an easy process. It's a good reminder to have that conversation with your family.

KHQ's Hayley Guenthner did reach out to the school district to figure out how this happened. While no one did an interview, the district did release the following statement:

"In light of this situation, several steps have been put into place to ensure that higher levels of safety are in place at the site. This includes, but is not limited to, having safety staff on site to review placement and number of security cameras in that particular wing of the school.

The principal and a central district administrator did talk with the mom on Friday after the incident to discuss multiple measures that are in place to ensure the safety of her child."

A pet translator could be available in the next 10 years

Tuesday, January 16 2018 12:24 AM EST2018-01-16 05:24:08 GMT

What's the first thing you would do if you had a pet translator and you could understand your dog or cat? I'd probably immediately let my cat know how sorry I am for stepping on her tail all those times. Recent advances in artificial intelligence and machine learning suggest the dream of communicating with your pets could become a reality.

Parents arrested after 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, discovered held captive in California home

Tuesday, January 16 2018 2:09 AM EST2018-01-16 07:09:07 GMT

PERRIS, California - Two parents are being held on $9 million bail each after a horrific discovery at a home in Perris, California Sunday.  The Riverside County Sheriff's Department says a 17-year-old girl escaped from her house in the 100 block of Muir Woods Road, in Perris and managed to call 911 from a cell phone she found inside the house.

Intoxicated driver ditches stolen car after crashing into 6 vehicles downtown

Monday, January 15 2018 8:25 PM EST2018-01-16 01:25:56 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police responded to downtown Spokane Monday afternoon for a reported crash. The crash involved several vehicles and a drunk man taking off on foot, leaving his stolen vehicle behind. It happened around 1 p.m. Officers responded to the area of Main and Lincoln for a crash. As officers started to arrive in the area, they learned that the man who caused the crash was leaving the scene on foot.

Brother of Spokane Valley man who drove into Hayden Lake speaks

Tuesday, January 16 2018 9:59 PM EST2018-01-17 02:59:29 GMT

HAYDEN, Idaho - He was a brother, son, father and loved by many. 34-year-old Christopher Lancaster lost his life tragically after crashing his car into Hayden Lake over the weekend. Now his family wants his memory to live on. Chris' brother, Dustin, say Chris had just gotten a new IT job on Friday. Now he leaves behind two sons.

Potholes damage your car? You can file a claim but you probably won’t collect

Tuesday, January 16 2018 9:21 PM EST2018-01-17 02:21:32 GMT

SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. - Brenna Meredith described the feeling like being in a car accident. “I couldn’t avoid it and my car just thumped on the ground,” said Meredith. “And I was like oh my gosh that’s not good.” Meredith wasn’t in a car accident, she ran over a massive pothole on Regal St. near 57th Ave. “I broke my rim, I broke a piece of my bumper off, all the air was instantly gone out of my tire,”

New California? Longshot bid would split state in 2

Tuesday, January 16 2018 9:12 PM EST2018-01-17 02:12:10 GMT

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A fresh effort is underway to split California into multiple states, one including its coastal cities and the other its rural and inland areas.    "New California" is just the latest proposal to divvy up the nation's most populous state. But like efforts before it, it's highly unlikely to gain significant traction.