Detectives still searching for good Samaritan who may have helpe - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Detectives still searching for good Samaritan who may have helped a killer

Major Crimes detectives are trying to find a good Samaritan who may have helped an accused killer handle critical evidence. They believe this person was simply trying to be helpful, and that it could have been any of us. They are hopeful the witness will come forward to give a murder victim's family some additional answers.

It's all in connection to the murder of Bret Snow. Snow vanished back in late 2015. Detectives have arrested Colby Vodder of Post Falls for the crime.

Detectives believe the accused killer had buckets filled with evidence and cement, in the bed of his truck. At some point during a drive back in December of 2015, the buckets fell out and onto the road. That's when they believe another driver stopped to help load the buckets back up. Detectives will not go into what specifically they believe was inside the buckets. Snow's body has never been found.

"It's very difficult," said lead investigator Lyle Johnston. "For the sensitivity of the family, there are some things I won't go into."

But Johnston will say that that it was a tip that lead him to believe a Good Samaritan may have unknowingly helped the accused killer. He said it's just the latest strange and eerie twist in a case that continues to baffle his office.

"To this extent, I've never seen anything like this before," he said. "This was probably just a good deed."

But one that clearly went very wrong. Detectives want to make it clear, this driver who stopped to help is not in trouble. They just want to know if they saw or heard something that could help bring some closure to Snow's loving family.

"They have no remains, no body to bring home and lay to rest," Johnston said.

The buckets are described as yellow or white five gallon buckets. The tipster who made detectives aware of this incident said that the buckets were being transported in the back of a blue 1998 Ford Ranger with a canopy in the area of Prairie Avenue between Highway 53 and Highway 41 when they fell out of the truck and into the road.

The driver of the Ranger stopped to pick up the buckets and is believed to have been helped by one or more Good Samaritans who pulled over to help. The buckets would have been heavy due to the cement reported to have been used to conceal and encase evidence.

If you have any information, please call Major Crimes Detective Lyle Johnston at 509-477-3191.

Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

Thursday, August 17 2017 1:59 PM EDT2017-08-17 17:59:47 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who police believe shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Evanlene Melting Tallow wanted to hit the centennial trail for a bike ride and train for her next cycling event. When she got to the end of the trail near Argonne road in Spokane Valley, what happened next left her in shock.   "He looked up and as soon as he seen me oh my gosh he started yelling at me started calling me a C*** and telling me to learn English and go back where I came from and a piece of dirt and all this other

Local actor charged with attempted murder after baseball bat attack

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:38 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:38:52 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The man accused of Attempted Murder after Spokane Police say he beat a woman with a baseball bat Wednesday night made his first court appearance on Thursday.  41-year-old Jeremy Lindholm showed no emotion as a judge handed down a $100,000 bond on Thursday. Lindholm is a local actor whose most recent work includes a role in the Twin Peaks reboot.

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:45 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:45:30 GMT
    Mad Minute for 12/30/16Mad Minute for 12/30/16

Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th.

Family holds Christmas early for father with terminal cancer

Friday, August 18 2017 1:15 AM EDT2017-08-18 05:15:03 GMT
    Courtesy Becky Odum's Facebook pageCourtesy Becky Odum's Facebook page

FRISCO, Tex. - A Frisco, Texas family is having Christmas early this year, after receiving some unfortunate news- David Odum, husband and father, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. According to Fox 4 News, the family has issued an online challenge, met by supporters across the globe.    David's wife Becky got out the Christmas decorations and took to Facebook to share David's diagnosis, asking for family and friends to hang up their