Government says Afghan family was released - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Government says Afghan family was released

Photo: NBC Photo: NBC
SANTA ANA, Calif. -

The U.S. government says an Afghan family has been released after being detained when they arrived at Los Angeles International Airport on special visas while en route to Washington state.

Government officials said Monday in a California federal court that the family was given back their passports and visas and will be interviewed in Seattle on April 5 determine if they are eligible to use those visas to remain in the United States.

U.S. District Judge Josephine Staton says she will retain jurisdiction of the case and that the government cannot detain or remove the family from the U.S. without providing 72 hours notice to their attorneys.

___

A lawyer for an Afghan family of five who traveled to the United States on special visas and was detained in Los Angeles says immigration officials have agreed to release them.

Talia Inlender, a senior staff attorney at Public Counsel, says the government agreed to release the family Monday.

Messages seeking comment were left for Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Department of Justice.

The family was detained after arriving at Los Angeles International Airport on Thursday on their way to resettle in Washington state. Lawyers say the father obtained special immigrant visas for his family after working for the U.S. government in Afghanistan.

A federal judge ordered a court hearing for Monday on the family's case after this weekend blocking government officials from removing the family from California.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

Thursday, August 17 2017 1:59 PM EDT2017-08-17 17:59:47 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who police believe shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Evanlene Melting Tallow wanted to hit the centennial trail for a bike ride and train for her next cycling event. When she got to the end of the trail near Argonne road in Spokane Valley, what happened next left her in shock.   "He looked up and as soon as he seen me oh my gosh he started yelling at me started calling me a C*** and telling me to learn English and go back where I came from and a piece of dirt and all this other

Local actor charged with attempted murder after baseball bat attack

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:38 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:38:52 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The man accused of Attempted Murder after Spokane Police say he beat a woman with a baseball bat Wednesday night made his first court appearance on Thursday.  41-year-old Jeremy Lindholm showed no emotion as a judge handed down a $100,000 bond on Thursday. Lindholm is a local actor whose most recent work includes a role in the Twin Peaks reboot.

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:45 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:45:30 GMT
    Mad Minute for 12/30/16Mad Minute for 12/30/16

Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th.

Family holds Christmas early for father with terminal cancer

Friday, August 18 2017 1:15 AM EDT2017-08-18 05:15:03 GMT
    Courtesy Becky Odum's Facebook pageCourtesy Becky Odum's Facebook page

FRISCO, Tex. - A Frisco, Texas family is having Christmas early this year, after receiving some unfortunate news- David Odum, husband and father, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. According to Fox 4 News, the family has issued an online challenge, met by supporters across the globe.    David's wife Becky got out the Christmas decorations and took to Facebook to share David's diagnosis, asking for family and friends to hang up their