Cathy McMorris Rodgers spokesperson issues statement on her resp - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Cathy McMorris Rodgers spokesperson issues statement on her response to Putin comment

Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers is calling a comment made by House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy that's making national headlines "an attempt at a humorous joke."

In a Washington Post article published Wednesday McCarthy told GOP leaders in a meeting last year “There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump." McCarthy reported added "Swear to God" after the room laughed at the comment.

Rohrabacher is in reference to Rep. Dana Rohrabacher of California, who was described in the article as a "fervent defender" of Russia.

According to the Post, Rep. Paul Ryan cut the conversation short, and swore those in the room to secrecy. The recording was verified by The Washington Post, and reportedly took place on July 15, 2016.

A spokesperson for McMorris Rodgers issued a statement Wednesday night. You can read the full statement below:

“Clearly this was an attempt at a humorous joke during a private meeting held nearly a year ago. The Congresswoman obviously does not believe President Trump nor Mr. Rohrabacher are paid by Russia. She supports the ongoing investigation into Russia’s interference with our election and supports the decision to appoint a special counsel to oversee the investigation.”

• At Glastonbury, Depp asks about assassinating the president

Friday, June 23 2017 1:31 PM EDT2017-06-23 17:31:01 GMT

LOS ANGELES - Johnny Depp has asked a crowd at the Glastonbury Festival when was the last time an actor assassinated a president. The remarks came during a segment Thursday in which Depp was speaking about President Donald Trump. He asked the question at the annual festival that celebrates the performing arts.

Driver lands on I-90 barrier after overcorrecting

Saturday, June 24 2017 2:07 AM EDT2017-06-24 06:07:22 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Firefighters say a car was driving too fast on I-90 near the state line Friday afternoon, and couldn't slow down in time to deal with traffic. The driver overcorrected and landed on the barrier. The driver suffered minor injuries. The crash caused a backup for several hours near Starr Rd.

Homeless single father tries to turn luck around for 4-year-old daughter

Friday, June 23 2017 11:09 PM EDT2017-06-24 03:09:10 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. George Simpkins packed his bags and moved from Ohio to Spokane to start a new job. But when he got to the Lilac City, his string of bad luck started.  “That never happened,” said Simpkins. “I’ve had temporary jobs off and on.” It’s been several years since Simpkins moved to Spokane, and the now 48-year-old hasn’t been able to keep a job, but it’s not due to lack of effort. “I’ve lost a couple of jobs because

Homeless Hoopfest team counts points and blessings

Saturday, June 24 2017 2:17 AM EDT2017-06-24 06:17:55 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Hoopfest is about much more than just basketball. Each team has their own story -- and for some, the path was paved with blood sweat and tears.    Today I met a team who has become a brotherhood from under the bridge. When it comes to tournament time, any basketball player will tell you its all about the shoes But for Randy Slone, a new pair of Nikes is about much more than just the swoosh "They recruited me asking me if I had history w...

Driver lands on I-90 barrier after overcorrecting

Saturday, June 24 2017 2:07 AM EDT2017-06-24 06:07:22 GMT

Mad Minute stories from Friday, June 23rd

Friday, June 23 2017 6:44 PM EDT2017-06-23 22:44:32 GMT

Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Friday, June 23rd.