Gianforte issues apology after being charged with assaulting rep - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Gianforte issues apology after being charged with assaulting reporter

Photo: Facebook/GregForMontana Photo: Facebook/GregForMontana
BOZEMAN, Mont. -

Republican Greg Gianforte says he 'learned a lesson," and has apologized to a reporter after being charged with assaulting him in a release sent to media Thursday night after his win in Montana's special election.

Here is what Gianforte's release says:

Friend,

Tonight is about you. Tonight is your victory.

Over the last 2 years, you have knocked on tens of thousands of doors. You have made hundreds of thousands of phone calls. Susan and I have traveled over 80 thousand miles across Montana, to all 56 counties, multiple times. And together – tonight – we won a victory for our Treasure State.

Tonight we won a victory for all Montanans.

Tonight Montanans sent a wake up call to the Washington DC Establishment. Montanans said Bernie Sanders and Nancy Pelosi can't call the shots in Montana. Montanans said we need to drain the swamp.

...and we have a lot of work to do.

Hard work is the way we get things done and sometimes hard work is born out of hard lessons.

Last night I learned a lesson. When you make a mistake, you have to own up to it. That's the Montana way.

Last night I did make a mistake. I took an action that I cannot take back. I am not proud of what happened.I should not have responded the way that I did.

And for that I am sorry.

I should not have treated the reporter that way. I am sorry Mr. Ben Jacobs... I want to apologize to the FOX News team, and I am sorry to each of you for my actions.

That is not the person I am or the leader I will be for Montana.

Rest assured – our work is just beginning – but it does begin with me taking responsibility for my own actions.

You deserve a Congressman who stays out of the limelight and just gets the job done.

I promise to work hard to protect our precious Montana way of life. I promise to be open and accessible.

I'm going to Washington to get things done, to drain the swamp, to fight for Montana families.

I will bring accountability to Washington, D.C.. I'll support term limits and banning members of Congress from becoming lobbyists. And, I'll hold the politicians accountable-if they can't balance the budget, they shouldn't get paid.

Washington won't like this but it's time America and Montana come first again.

You have always been on my side and I pledge I'll always be on your side.

Montana sent a strong message tonight that you want a Congressman who will work with President Trump to Make America and Montana Great Again.

I feel a deep sense of obligation and duty to this great state where Susan and I raised our family and built our business.

Thank you for your support and this opportunity to serve. God Bless Montana and the United States of America.

Sincerely,

Greg Gianforte

Motorcyclist killed in crash on Sherman Pass

Monday, July 16 2018 1:58 AM EDT2018-07-16 05:58:31 GMT

SHERMAN PASS, Wash.- A 53-year-old man was killed Sunday after a crash involving a motorcycle and transit van. The crash happened on State Route 20, just before 6pm on Sunday, about 14 miles east of Republic.

Firefighter mauled by pit bull at scene of house fire

Sunday, July 15 2018 3:47 PM EDT2018-07-15 19:47:12 GMT

SAN LEANDRO, Calif. (AP) - Authorities say a Northern California firefighter was mauled in the face by a pit bull after helping extinguish a house fire.    The East Bay Times reports Alameda County Fire Battalion Chief John Whiting received "extremely severe facial damage" in the attack Saturday in San Leandro.    Division Chief Alan Evans says Whiting required extensive reconstructive surgery.

Instructor, two students killed in training aircraft crash near Deer Park

Friday, July 13 2018 8:36 PM EDT2018-07-14 00:36:49 GMT

DEER PARK, Wash. - In a statement on its Facebook page Friday evening, Moody Aviation in Spokane confirmed that three people died in a plane crash near Deer Park Friday morning.

Bruce Willis: 'Die Hard is not a Christmas movie'

Monday, July 16 2018 1:58 PM EDT2018-07-16 17:58:41 GMT

LOS ANGELES - In less than two weeks, you can watch The Comedy Central Roast of Bruce Willis. Usually, ahead of the air date of these things, we'll get little teasers and snippets of what happened, but this one is a bombshell.  For years, the debate on whether Die Hard is a Christmas movie has raged on. If you ask me, I'm going to tell you that it's not only a Christmas movie, but the best Christmas movie ever.

Dad cleaning gun in Indiana fatally shoots 6-year-old girl in the head

Monday, July 16 2018 1:37 PM EDT2018-07-16 17:37:17 GMT

Indiana police say a 6-year-old girl was shot in the head and killed when the handgun her father was cleaning accidentally fired in southern Indiana.    Indiana State Police say Makayla S. Bowling was pronounced dead at a hospital after the shooting in rural Salem Friday night.    Police say her father was cleaning the gun inside a home Friday night and thought the weapon was unloaded, but it discharged, striking the girl in the head.

Lose, your blues: Town tosses 'Footloose' anti-dancing law

Monday, July 16 2018 1:06 PM EDT2018-07-16 17:06:43 GMT

FORT SMITH, Ark. - Officials in a western Arkansas city say residents can finally kick off their Sunday shoes. Fort Smith city directors recently repealed a 1953 ordinance that essentially outlawed public dancing on Sundays. Locals who knew about it called it the "Footloose" ordinance, nicknamed for the 1984 movie starring Kevin Bacon about a town that banned dancing and rock music.