'I didn't want him back': Teen talks about tense moments scaring - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I didn't want him back': Teen talks about tense moments scaring away wanted man

SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. -

17-year-old Kimber Wood stepped up to a situation that would have paralyzed others.

It's an unbelievable story that started as a pursuit with Spokane County Sheriff's deputies. They made a traffic stop in North Spokane County, but they driver they were stopping took off. Deputies spent hours looking for him, and we reported that on the Wake Up Show Monday morning. It turns out Wood's boyfriend was watching our newscast.

He called her to say there may be a bad guy in her neighborhood.

"You heart feels like it is going out of its chest," Wood said. "I couldn't breath well but I knew I had to."

They say your gut is your strongest muscle and that rang true for Wood Monday morning.

"I was laying in bed watching TV and my boyfriend called my parents. They warned me."

So she asked her dad for a gun, put it under her pillow and went back to sleep. Until she heard the screen door open.

"I heard it close and that just doesn't happen. I knew something was wrong," Wood said.

Her gut said grab the gun. So she did, and she waited.

"I heard footsteps and he went upstairs," she said.

She called her dad, who taught her everything she knows about guns, and he stayed with her on the phone as the footsteps got closer to her room.

"I was laying right there on the bed and he came in, and that's when I crawled out, got the gun from my pillow..."

That's when the unthinkable happened.

"He popped in and I said, 'Who the [expletive] are you?'" Wood said. "His head was right there and I had the gun straight in his face and he ran."

Wood followed him out through the same screen door he came in and watched down the barrel of her gun.

"I knew I wanted to be as close to him as I could, and your hands are shaking, but you know you have to have steady aim."

Then she pulled the trigger. She didn't aim to hit him, she aimed to scare him away.

"I fired a shot at him because I didn't want him back," she said.

With no neighbors around, Wood waited for what felt like hours until her parents came back. And they brought the sheriff's department with them. The reality of what could have happened hung in the air like the gun smoke.

"When I found out a 17-year-old defended herself I thought that's fantastic," one deputy said. "I'm not her dad and I'm proud of her," one deputy said.

As for her own dad, proud is an understatement.

"That is something you teach the kids," Kimber's father said. "Lessons we went over and over, and you think they'll never have to use them, and today proved that they did, and it worked."

The wanted man stole one of their ATVs and deputies are still looking for him. They say they have a good idea who he is and, despite what happened Monday morning, they don't believe he is a danger to the public.

PHOTOS: Westbound I-90 at Ellensburg back open after 16 vehicle crash

Saturday, February 17 2018 5:23 PM EST2018-02-17 22:23:29 GMT

CLE ELUM, Wash. - UPDATE: Washington State Department of Transportation says I-90 at Ellensburg is back open following a major crash Saturday morning. Westbound lanes were closed for several hours Saturday. Washington State Patrol urges drivers to use caution as conditions can change quickly.

Second Bonners Ferry teen found safe in North Dakota

Sunday, February 18 2018 11:10 AM EST2018-02-18 16:10:32 GMT

BOUNDARY COUNTY, Idaho - UPDATE: The Boundary County Sheriff's Office confirmed Saturday afternoon that Alisa Hannaman has been found and is safe. The sheriff's office says the other girl, 13-year-old Kaia Kramer is still missing as of Saturday afternoon.

Day care owner pleads guilty to trying to kill toddler

Saturday, February 17 2018 10:46 PM EST2018-02-18 03:46:19 GMT

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A Minneapolis day care owner has pleaded guilty to trying to kill a toddler in her home.    Forty-three-year-old Nataliia Karia entered the plea to attempted murder and third-degree assault. She also pleaded guilty to criminal vehicular operation of a vehicle for hitting a pedestrian, a bicyclist and another driver as she fled from her home in a minivan.

Villagers in Thailand save baby elephant that fell into muddy well

Sunday, February 18 2018 8:35 PM EST2018-02-19 01:35:30 GMT

CHANTHABURI, ThailandResidents of a village in Thailand pulled together recently to help a baby elephant that became trapped in a muddy well. NBC 4 reports that the baby Asian elephant became stuck in the well in Kaeng Hang Maeo district of Chanthaburi Province after its herd of about 40 wandered onto a rubber plantation. According to English language newspaper the Chiangrai Times, the elephant’s mother tried to help, but was

Disneyland unveils limited edition rose gold churro

Sunday, February 18 2018 8:23 PM EST2018-02-19 01:23:11 GMT
    Source: DisneySource: Disney

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Disney parks are all ears when it comes to pop culture trends. The parks have recently gone all-in on the rose gold trend, first releasing rose gold Minnie Mouse ears, and unveiling a short time later rose gold spirit jerseys. Next on the list was the arrival or rose gold Minnie ear cupcakes. Now, they're wowing parkgoers with another delicious rose gold treat: rose gold churros at Disneyland. The sparkling, perfectly pink

8-year-old boy saves choking classmate during Valentine's Day party

Sunday, February 18 2018 8:13 PM EST2018-02-19 01:13:06 GMT

FRESNO, Calif. - Faith plays a big role in the lives of kids enrolled at St. Anthony's School. As ABC 13 reports, a classroom party emergency strengthened little Makayla Annis' faith in her circle of friends. Makayla says her desk partner made her laugh a little too hard during their Valentines Day party while she was eating a gummy bear. As she tried to swallow it, she began to choke. 8-year-old Andrew Ramirez didn't waste any time when