Spokane man becomes unlikely hero after downtown crash - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Spokane man becomes unlikely hero after downtown crash

A baby and his parents, along with another driver, are all recovering after a horrific crash downtown. It happened near Sprague and Division just before 10 Sunday night.

The family's van was hit by a driver witnesses claim was going "50 to 60 miles per hour." They were all injured but expected to be okay, and a big reason why is an unlikely hero.

We all have a past, things we wish we could take back.

"I've been in prison the past 17 years," Josh Tangehahl said.

But few get the opportunity for redemption.

Tangehahl has only been out of prison for three months after serving nearly two decades for manslaughter.

"I'm on work release right now," he said. "I was on my way back."

The clock was ticking. Tangehahl had just minutes before his strictly enforced Brownstone curfew.

"That's when I looked at the clock and was like man, I need to get back because if I'm not back, I'm going back to prison," he said.

But he was willing to risk that for a six-month-old stranger.

"I heard crying but I didn't know where the baby was," he said. "The seat had been dislodged."

Tangehahl said he saw the car that slammed into the family's van driving erratically.

"We saw the car swerve in front of us," he said. "I told my girlfriend to follow them."

A few blocks later, he heard the impact.

"The car that hit it was probably going 50 to 60 mph through the intersection," he said.

Tangehahl ran from his car toward the soft whimpers.

"As soon as I got in there, I saw the mom pinned, the dad was in and out of it," he said. "The (baby) was out of it's harness on one side with the strap around his neck. The seat was upside down so the baby was just hanging."

Seconds were feeling like hours as he worked to cut the baby free.

"It was terrifying, the baby was crying."

He handed the baby to a nearby security guard and then worked to free the baby's parents. He is a hero to all who watched.

"No, no," he said. "It's all good."

He wants no recognition.

"I just reacted," he said. "I did what I thought was the right thing."

A relative of the baby said he had a broken rib and a laceration to his liver. He is expected to be alright.

Coverage criticism leads to new conversation about homelessness in Spokane

Thursday, July 20 2017 10:16 PM EDT2017-07-21 02:16:44 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - This story originated as a post to KHQ, from a viewer, upset about this homeless camp below Kendall Yards. After the initial report on Facebook, I got a lot of comments -  many people were offended about how i described the camp. One person who was very vocal, was Ellie. I asked if she would meet with me - and she said yes. As upset as she is with our coverage - she welcomed the chance to make others understand that this is a conversation

Washington's new DUI-E law takes effect Sunday

Tuesday, July 18 2017 10:02 PM EDT2017-07-19 02:02:25 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - "He was my youngest, he was my baby bear," Tina Myer said about her son that was killed by a distracted driver. It was a distracted driver that killed Tina Myer's son Cody, hitting the 23-year-old as he was working as a flagger at a construction site in December 2015. He suffered severe injuries, and died several months later. Now Myer is joining Governor Inslee, praising a new DUI-E law.

U.S. Forest Service warns of aggressive bear on Canfield Mountain

Friday, July 21 2017 8:41 PM EDT2017-07-22 00:41:48 GMT

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - If you're planning on doing some outdoor activities on Canfield Mountain this weekend, listen up! The U.S. Forest Service wants the public to avoid the upper parking area and trail system on the mountain for the time being. An aggressive sow bear with a cub (possibly more than one cub) has been reported on the Cave Trail.

U.S. Forest Service warns of aggressive bear on Canfield Mountain

Friday, July 21 2017 8:41 PM EDT2017-07-22 00:41:48 GMT

Elderly woman sexually assaulted at assisted living facility

Friday, July 21 2017 8:04 PM EDT2017-07-22 00:04:55 GMT
    Elderly woman sexually assaulted at assisted living facilityElderly woman sexually assaulted at assisted living facility

SEATAC, Wash. (AP) - Authorities say an 83-year-old woman was assaulted while in her room at an assisted living facility in SeaTac. The King County Sheriff's Office says an unknown man entered the woman's room through a window Thursday while she was watching TV. Once inside, the sheriff's office says the suspect hit her several times on the side of the head before strangling and sexually assaulting her. The sheriff's office says

Pedestrian lashes out, throws rock at woman in car

Friday, July 21 2017 7:59 PM EDT2017-07-21 23:59:38 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - A Spokane woman says she had a scary encounter Thursday morning with a man on the sidewalk. She was driving near Regal Street by Ferris High School when he lashed out and ended up throwing a rock at her. "It worries me that somebody is out there that can be that violent," she said. She wants to remain anonymous in fear of retaliation of what he might do. She says she was dropping off her son for a sports camp