A mother's warning after her newborn died of meningitis: 'Don’t - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

A mother's warning after her newborn died of meningitis: 'Don’t let anyone kiss your baby'

Posted: Updated:
Baby Mariana (PHOTO: GoFundMe) Baby Mariana (PHOTO: GoFundMe)
IOWA CITY, Iowa -

An 18-day-old Iowa baby died Tuesday morning, and the mother is warning other parents about the virus that killed her baby girl. 

At one week old, doctors believe Mariana Sifrit contracted a deadly form of meningitis from a kiss. 

The mother, Nicole Sifrit, posted on Facebook that Mariana had died. 

"Our princess Mariana Reese Sifrit gained her angel wings at 8:41 am this morning in her daddy's arms and her mommy right beside her. She is now no longer suffering and is with the Lord. Thank you to everyone who has followed her journey and supported us through this. In her 18 days of life she made a huge impact on the world and we hope with Mariana's Story we save numerous newborns life. R.I.P. sweet angel."

A week after she was morn, Nicole and her husband noticed Mariana stopped eating and didn't respond when they tried to wake her. 

"It immediately went downhill from there," her father told WHO TV. "Within two hours she had quit breathing and all of her organs just started to fail."

 On July 7, doctors diagnosed Mariana with viral meningitis HSV-1 caused by the herpes virus, which is spread through close contact.

Both parents tested negative for the virus, meaning Mariana likely got it from a visitor. The virus can be transmitted through someone who has the cold sore virus. 

“I always thought this stuff happens and it’s a shame and never thought it would happen to me,” Nicole told WHO, “I was not prepared at all.  Keep your babies isolated.  Don’t let just anyone come visit them.   Make sure they are constantly washing their hands. Don’t let people kiss your baby and make sure they ask before they pick up your baby.”

A GoFundMe account was set up to help with medical expenses

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Man in custody after stabbing eight-year-old boy in Spokane Valley

    Man in custody after stabbing eight-year-old boy in Spokane Valley

    Sunday, November 18 2018 12:06 AM EST2018-11-18 05:06:41 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A 30-year-old male is facing attempted murder charges after stabbing an eight-year-old boy at a HiCo store in Spokane Valley Saturday night. Around 4:30 p.m, Spokane Valley Deputies responded to a call of two males fighting along with the reported stabbing. 

    >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A 30-year-old male is facing attempted murder charges after stabbing an eight-year-old boy at a HiCo store in Spokane Valley Saturday night. Around 4:30 p.m, Spokane Valley Deputies responded to a call of two males fighting along with the reported stabbing. 

    >>
  • Three Montana deer test positive for brain wasting disease

    Three Montana deer test positive for brain wasting disease

    Saturday, November 17 2018 4:12 PM EST2018-11-17 21:12:49 GMT

    Montana wildlife officials say three deer in Blaine County have tested positive for a brain wasting disease. The Great Falls Tribune reports that the deer found to have chronic wasting disease were all harvested within a priority surveillance area. 

    >>

    Montana wildlife officials say three deer in Blaine County have tested positive for a brain wasting disease. The Great Falls Tribune reports that the deer found to have chronic wasting disease were all harvested within a priority surveillance area. 

    >>
  • Can you prank your mom? 'The 25 pound turkey challenge'

    Can you prank your mom? 'The 25 pound turkey challenge'

    Wednesday, December 21 2016 2:36 PM EST2016-12-21 19:36:25 GMT

    KHQ.COM - Most mothers can only hope by the time their children grow up and move out of the house, they've learned all the necessary things to be a successful adult, including the basic knowledge that a turkey must be cooked in an oven, or perhaps in a smoker... NOT in a microwave. For this reason a new prank-challenge going around on Facebook is resulting in some hilarious text conversations between mothers and their grown children.

    >>

    KHQ.COM - Most mothers can only hope by the time their children grow up and move out of the house, they've learned all the necessary things to be a successful adult, including the basic knowledge that a turkey must be cooked in an oven, or perhaps in a smoker... NOT in a microwave. For this reason a new prank-challenge going around on Facebook is resulting in some hilarious text conversations between mothers and their grown children.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Man in custody after stabbing eight-year-old boy in Spokane Valley

    Man in custody after stabbing eight-year-old boy in Spokane Valley

    Sunday, November 18 2018 12:06 AM EST2018-11-18 05:06:41 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A 30-year-old male is facing attempted murder charges after stabbing an eight-year-old boy at a HiCo store in Spokane Valley Saturday night. Around 4:30 p.m, Spokane Valley Deputies responded to a call of two males fighting along with the reported stabbing. 

    >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A 30-year-old male is facing attempted murder charges after stabbing an eight-year-old boy at a HiCo store in Spokane Valley Saturday night. Around 4:30 p.m, Spokane Valley Deputies responded to a call of two males fighting along with the reported stabbing. 

    >>
  • One firefighter suffers minor injuries after North Spokane house fire

    One firefighter suffers minor injuries after North Spokane house fire

    Saturday, November 17 2018 10:55 PM EST2018-11-18 03:55:04 GMT
    One firefighter suffered minor injuries after a house fire broke out in North Spokane Saturday night. The home on North Perry Street between Buckeye Ave and North Foothills Drive was empty at the time the fire broke out. The fire was contained to one room of the house and crews were able to get the fire knocked down fairly quickly. The Red Cross was on scene to work with the homeowner. The firefighter who was injured did not need to be taken to a hospital. The cause...>>
    One firefighter suffered minor injuries after a house fire broke out in North Spokane Saturday night. The home on North Perry Street between Buckeye Ave and North Foothills Drive was empty at the time the fire broke out. The fire was contained to one room of the house and crews were able to get the fire knocked down fairly quickly. The Red Cross was on scene to work with the homeowner. The firefighter who was injured did not need to be taken to a hospital. The cause...>>
  • Five more bodies found, bringing death toll to 76 in Northern California wildfire, 1,300 remain unaccounted for

    Five more bodies found, bringing death toll to 76 in Northern California wildfire, 1,300 remain unaccounted for

    Saturday, November 17 2018 9:38 PM EST2018-11-18 02:38:09 GMT

    Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea says emergency responders have made progress in finding people who had been reported missing in the wildfires but the list of those unaccounted for is now nearly 1,300. Honea pleaded Saturday with the public to check out the list and to call in if they are safe. 

    >>

    Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea says emergency responders have made progress in finding people who had been reported missing in the wildfires but the list of those unaccounted for is now nearly 1,300. Honea pleaded Saturday with the public to check out the list and to call in if they are safe. 

    >>