Alexa, turn up my Kenmore AC; Sears cuts a deal with Amazon - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Alexa, turn up my Kenmore AC; Sears cuts a deal with Amazon

(AP Photo/Elaine Thompson) (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. -

(AP) - Sears will begin selling its appliances on Amazon.com, including smart appliances that can be synced with Amazon's voice assistant, Alexa.

The announcement Thursday sent shares of Sears soaring almost 11 percent. The tie-up with the internet behemoth could give shares of the storied retailer one of its biggest one-day percentage gains ever.

Sears, which also owns Kmart, said that its Kenmore Smart appliances will be fully integrated with Amazon's Alexa, allowing users to control things like air conditioners through voice commands.

"The launch of Kenmore products on Amazon.com will significantly expand the distribution and availability of the Kenmore brand in the U.S.," Sears Chairman and CEO Edward Lampert said in a company release.

Sears has struggled with weak sales for years, and announced more store closings earlier this month, partly due to the emergence of Amazon.com and other internet operators. It said in March that there was "substantial doubt" it could continue as a business after years of bleeding money.

Neil Saunders, managing director of research firm GlobalData Retail, said it's a win for Sears, putting its products where customers are shopping.

Sales at existing Sears stores, a key measure of a retailer's health, have been in rapid retreat for years.

"Other channels and routes to market are needed," Saunders said.

Many saw the agreement with Amazon.com as a lifeline for Sears, with the volume of trading company shares enormous on Thursday.

And the law of action-reaction is almost always visible when Amazon.com is in the mix.

Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

Thursday, August 17 2017 1:59 PM EDT2017-08-17 17:59:47 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who police believe shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Evanlene Melting Tallow wanted to hit the centennial trail for a bike ride and train for her next cycling event. When she got to the end of the trail near Argonne road in Spokane Valley, what happened next left her in shock.   "He looked up and as soon as he seen me oh my gosh he started yelling at me started calling me a C*** and telling me to learn English and go back where I came from and a piece of dirt and all this other

Local actor charged with attempted murder after baseball bat attack

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:38 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:38:52 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The man accused of Attempted Murder after Spokane Police say he beat a woman with a baseball bat Wednesday night made his first court appearance on Thursday.  41-year-old Jeremy Lindholm showed no emotion as a judge handed down a $100,000 bond on Thursday. Lindholm is a local actor whose most recent work includes a role in the Twin Peaks reboot.

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:45 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:45:30 GMT
    Mad Minute for 12/30/16Mad Minute for 12/30/16

Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th.

Family holds Christmas early for father with terminal cancer

Friday, August 18 2017 1:15 AM EDT2017-08-18 05:15:03 GMT
    Courtesy Becky Odum's Facebook pageCourtesy Becky Odum's Facebook page

FRISCO, Tex. - A Frisco, Texas family is having Christmas early this year, after receiving some unfortunate news- David Odum, husband and father, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. According to Fox 4 News, the family has issued an online challenge, met by supporters across the globe.    David's wife Becky got out the Christmas decorations and took to Facebook to share David's diagnosis, asking for family and friends to hang up their