KCSO deputies spend day off giving Bayview couple peace of mind - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

KCSO deputies spend day off giving Bayview couple peace of mind

BAYVIEW, Idaho -

Medical bills, a heart attack, and the constant fear of wildfire. One local couple is dealing with all that and more. They were terrified their lack of yard maintenance could cause them to lose everything if a fire hits the area. That's when they said "Help Me Hayley."

"You can look right out that window to our lake," said Cynthia Carlson.

Bayview, Idaho is the Carlson's paradise. It's easy to see why.

"We wake up every morning and look out here," she said.

But lately, the views are leading to panic instead of peace. The couple has had multiple health issues that have stopped them in their tracks.

"It's dry, tall, out of control," Cynthia said of their lawn.

Their fears are supported by memories. A few years ago, flames came dangerously close to the area in a wildfire. While the couple didn't live in the community then, stories from friends have left them rattled.

"I look for (flames) all the time," Cynthia said.

Fire crews are adamant, it's defensible space that often saves home. The Carlson's know that, but say there's no way to get it on their own.

"One spark and it's gone."

With no where else to turn, they called Hayley.

That's when Hayley called KCSO to ask if they were aware of any resources for the couple.  Instead, she was told seven deputies would spend their day off taking care of it themselves.

The couple calls the deputies their "heroes." Detective Dennis Stinebaugh said it's their pleasure to take care of the community and people they love to serve.

"It's just part of who we are, and we don't mind helping out," he said.

Glenn Carlson continues to recover after the heart attack.

And while KCSO deputies said they wish they could help out everyone in a similar situation, there's just no way that's possible. That's why Hayley dug into what resources are available to help with the defensible space issue. She learned in Washington, you can actually get professionals to walk your property with you and give you advice on how to make it better. Idaho also has some resources.

IDAHO:  http://idahofirewise.org/firewise-homes/

WASHINGTON: Call 509.684.7474 for more information on protecting your home.

Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

Thursday, August 17 2017 1:59 PM EDT2017-08-17 17:59:47 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who police believe shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Evanlene Melting Tallow wanted to hit the centennial trail for a bike ride and train for her next cycling event. When she got to the end of the trail near Argonne road in Spokane Valley, what happened next left her in shock.   "He looked up and as soon as he seen me oh my gosh he started yelling at me started calling me a C*** and telling me to learn English and go back where I came from and a piece of dirt and all this other

Local actor charged with attempted murder after baseball bat attack

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:38 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:38:52 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The man accused of Attempted Murder after Spokane Police say he beat a woman with a baseball bat Wednesday night made his first court appearance on Thursday.  41-year-old Jeremy Lindholm showed no emotion as a judge handed down a $100,000 bond on Thursday. Lindholm is a local actor whose most recent work includes a role in the Twin Peaks reboot.

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:45 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:45:30 GMT
    Mad Minute for 12/30/16Mad Minute for 12/30/16

Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th.

Family holds Christmas early for father with terminal cancer

Friday, August 18 2017 1:15 AM EDT2017-08-18 05:15:03 GMT
    Courtesy Becky Odum's Facebook pageCourtesy Becky Odum's Facebook page

FRISCO, Tex. - A Frisco, Texas family is having Christmas early this year, after receiving some unfortunate news- David Odum, husband and father, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. According to Fox 4 News, the family has issued an online challenge, met by supporters across the globe.    David's wife Becky got out the Christmas decorations and took to Facebook to share David's diagnosis, asking for family and friends to hang up their