Man documents near death experience while surviving two days in - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Man documents near death experience while surviving two days in Arizona desert

All Mick had to survive was one bottle of water, two beers and some chips. All Mick had to survive was one bottle of water, two beers and some chips.

(KPNX) An Arizona man who was stranded in the desert for two days recorded parts of the ordeal on his cell phone, and says he even drank his own urine to survive at one point.

It all started when Mick Ohman drove up to the mountain town of Crown King on Thursday, July 27. He decided to take the scenic route back to his home in Phoenix, but the road ended up being more of a rugged trail, filled with ravines and boulders and not meant for his two-wheel drive Honda CR-V.

"It was bouncing bad and all of a sudden my engine disengaged," Ohman said. "I couldn't go forward and couldn't be backward."

Ohman had destroyed his transmission. And he was stranded about 16 miles south of Crown King. He had no cell phone reception and a cooler filled with just one bottle of water, two beers, a sandwich and bagel chips -- all in triple-digit temperatures.

"It got to the point that I couldn't swallow and my throat would stick together. I would gag," Ohman said.

"I was forced to drink my own urine at this point, in order to swallow. It wasn't as obnoxious as I thought. It wasn't salty, and it quenched my thirst. But it was warm. Straight from the tap, I guess," he joked.

Read more: http://bit.ly/2uh5VVp

Spokane woman finds baby left in freezing car

Thursday, February 22 2018 8:33 PM EST2018-02-23 01:33:43 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Picture this, a baby freezing, bawling, and alone in the back seat of a car. That's what one Spokane woman stumbled upon in a South Hill parking lot. "Complete shock," Windy Delandro said. A frightening sight, Delandro says she saw what looked like a six-month old sitting in her car seat, car turned off, tears streaming down the little girls cheeks. "I looked around to see if I could find anybody, see something, I told my mom

Fatal apartment fire at Hartson and Perry on Spokane's lower south hill

Friday, February 23 2018 8:46 AM EST2018-02-23 13:46:40 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash.- One person is dead in a fatal fire at the Liberty Park Terrace Apartments on the lower South Hill. The fire was confined to one apartment. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. The building was evacuated but everyone has returned back inside. No roads blocked at this time. BREAKING: Fatal Apartment Fire at Hartson and Perry>>

Canadian women's hockey player apologizes for removing medal

Friday, February 23 2018 10:49 AM EST2018-02-23 15:49:37 GMT

KHQ.COM - The Canadian women's hockey team wept on the ice as they accepted their silver medals after losing to the Americans at the Pyeongchang Olympics.   One Canadian player, Jocelyne Larocque, took her medal off immediately and held it in her hands as the Americans stood nearby awaiting their gold Thursday.   Larocque says, "It's just so hard."

Washington House passes bump stock ban

Friday, February 23 2018 11:22 PM EST2018-02-24 04:22:13 GMT

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - The Washington House amended and passed a bill to ban trigger devices that allow semi-automatic rifles to fire more rapidly.  The bill moved on a 56-41 vote Friday after the chamber accepted an amendment that would allow the Washington State Patrol to set up a "buy back" program for people who already own the devices, known as bump stocks. The measure now heads for a final vote in the Senate, which passed the underlying measure last month on a

Charity organization helps Idaho father gain freedom with all-terrain wheelchair

Friday, February 23 2018 11:19 PM EST2018-02-24 04:19:00 GMT

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Being a dad is a full-time job, but Michael Hrehor always finds time to play with his kids. He’s a fun-loving father, but playtime can sometimes be cut short. “At first I just got viral meningitis, thought I got over it, but then about 10 years later I had viral meningitis again,” Hrehor said, “and they said 'hey, you have recurring viral meningitis' and I said ‘that's a thing?’” Hrehor has lived

Two people trapped in crash on Highway 395 near Deer Park

Friday, February 23 2018 10:41 PM EST2018-02-24 03:41:29 GMT

DEER PARK, Wash. - Washington State Patrol is investigating a crash on Highway 395 near Deer Park. WSP officials said they were working to rescue two people who were trapped as a result of the crash Friday evening. Troopers said two cars were involved and there are serious injuries.  Highway 395 is blocked in both directions. Traffic is being divert southbound at Owens and northbound at Burrows.  Avoid the area if possible.