Recipe from Marilynn Young of Pennsylvania
16 sun-dried tomato halves
1 ball of fresh mozzarella (8 - 10 ounces), cut into 16 pieces (cut four thick slices and then quarter each slice)
16 fresh basil leaves
16 garlic-rubbed bread slices or 32 crackers
2 to 6 long skewers
*NOTE: Sun-dried tomatoes come oil-packed and dry. Oil-packed tomatoes need only to be drained before use. Dry tomatoes need to be soaked in water and then marinated in olive oil. Place dry tomatoes in heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for 1 hour. Drain and blot dry. Toss in olive oil.
- Place the tomatoes in serving bowl
- Arrange the mozzarella, basil leaves, and grilled bread or crackers on a platter.
- Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. With a charcoal grill, remove grill grate and rake embers into a pile. With gas, preheat to super hot.
- Skewer a cube of mozzarella. Roast it over the fire, turning the skewer to evenly melt the cheese. When the mozzarella begins to melt and brown (1 to 2 minutes over charcoal... a little longer over gas) use a knife or fork to scrape the cheese off the skewer onto a piece of grilled bread. Don't attempt to eat the melted cheese directly off the skewer if you wish to keep your lips.
- Top the cheese with a basil leaf and a piece of sun-dried tomato and place a second piece of grilled bread on top. Eat at once.
*DISCLAIMER*: The information contained in or provided through this site section is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional advice. Use of this site section and any information contained on or provided through this site section is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site section is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.