U.S. diplomats and family members suffer from possible "sonic he - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

U.S. diplomats and family members suffer from possible "sonic health attacks" in Cuba

Posted: Updated:

WASHINGTON (AP) - Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is meeting with Cuba's top diplomat, U.S. officials said, as the United States is seeking answers about mysterious "attacks" on its diplomats in Havana.
    
Tillerson's meeting Tuesday with Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez marks the highest-level diplomatic contact between the two countries since the start of President Donald Trump's administration in January. It comes as the delicate rapprochement between the longtime foes, started under President Barack Obama, is being jeopardized by mounting alarm over the unexplained incidents that have harmed at least 21 Americans.
    
In the most striking example of how the incidents are weighing on the U.S.-Cuba relationship, the State Department is considering closing the newly re-opened U.S. Embassy in Havana, Tillerson has said. The Trump administration has also considered smaller-scale steps such as withdrawing all nonessential personnel from Havana, leaving the embassy technically open but unable to perform its full range of functions unless and until the health concerns are resolved, U.S. officials have said.
    
It was unclear whether Tillerson would disclose new details to the Cuban envoy about U.S. deliberations or the investigation. But the meeting at the State Department, arranged at Cuba's request, follows a speech Rodriguez delivered at the United Nations last week in which he harshly criticized Trump and his administration's policy toward the communist island. In a bid to show it's a good neighbor, Cuba has also offered to send doctors and humanitarian aid to Puerto Rico to help the U.S. respond to Hurricane Maria.
    
For months after U.S. diplomats started falling ill in Havana, the U.S. and Cuba sought to prevent the issue from becoming an overriding irritant in the relationship. Neither country disclosed publicly that the incidents were occurring, even after Washington in May expelled two Cuban diplomats to protest Havana's failure to protect Americans on its soil.
    
Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan told Congress on Tuesday that it was a reasonable suspicion that Cuban authorities either were involved in the incidents or at least knew they were occurring. Cuba keeps tight surveillance on American diplomats in the country and would be likely to know if something significant were happening to them.
    
But Sullivan acknowledged that with so much unknown, even that assumption is less than certain, and added: "As a U.S. government official, I don't know that."
    
Yet while the U.S. has avoided blaming Cuba directly for the incidents, the growing public outrage has forced both countries to adopt a tougher tone. Several U.S. lawmakers have called on the Trump administration to expel all Cuban diplomats from Washington.
    
At least 21 U.S. diplomats and their families have suffered a variety of physical symptoms since late last year as a result of what Tillerson has described as "health attacks." Some have been diagnosed with mild brain injury and permanent hearing loss. U.S. investigators have pursued the possibility the attacks were carried out with some sort of sonic device but have been unable to determine the cause or a culprit.
    
Last week, U.S. diplomats held another high-level meeting with Cuba amid concerns about the incidents. That meeting at the State Department included Cuban official Josefina Vidal, who has been the public face of Cuba's diplomatic opening with the U.S., and other Cuban officials.
    
"We've had regular contact to register our deep concern with what's happened in Havana and to remind the Cuban government its obligation under the Geneva convention to protect our embassy employees and their families down there," Sullivan said.
    
Cuba has denied any knowledge or involvement. In his U.N. speech last week, Rodriguez said early results from Cuba's own investigation have "found no evidence whatsoever that could confirm the causes or the origin" of the incidents, implicitly casting doubt on the U.S. version of accounts.
    
"It would be unfortunate if a matter of this nature is politicized," said Rodriguez, who has represented Cuba on the world stage for years.
    
Of the 21 medically confirmed U.S. individuals affected - diplomats and their families - some have permanent hearing loss or concussions, while others suffered nausea, headaches and ear-ringing. Some are struggling with concentration or common word recall, The Associated Press has reported.
    
The U.S. has said the tally of Americans affected could grow as more cases are potentially detected. The State Department has emphasized that the U.S. still doesn't know what has occurred.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Police: Driver was going 2x the speed limit in deadly crash

    Police: Driver was going 2x the speed limit in deadly crash

    Thursday, April 26 2018 2:12 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:12:50 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - What sounded like an accident has now led to charges against the woman who was behind the wheel. The driver of Tuesday night's deadly crash is being investigated for DUI and vehicular homicide. Detectives say around 9:30 p.m. a man was struck and killed by a driver as he tried to cross the street near 3rd and Liberty Park Place.   Court documents released Wednesday show that the driver, 50-year-old Tamila Lindsly, 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - What sounded like an accident has now led to charges against the woman who was behind the wheel. The driver of Tuesday night's deadly crash is being investigated for DUI and vehicular homicide. Detectives say around 9:30 p.m. a man was struck and killed by a driver as he tried to cross the street near 3rd and Liberty Park Place.   Court documents released Wednesday show that the driver, 50-year-old Tamila Lindsly, 

    >>
  • PHOTOS: All lanes of I-90 reopen after semi-truck loses load in downtown Spokane

    PHOTOS: All lanes of I-90 reopen after semi-truck loses load in downtown Spokane

    Wednesday, April 25 2018 6:25 PM EDT2018-04-25 22:25:01 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Jim Martin Trucking LLC out of Hayden, Idaho confirmed with KHQ the driver of the semi-truck involved in Wednesday's crash on I-90 in downtown Spokane is okay and is cooperating with Troopers. The driver, who was hauling crushed cars, says he was cut off by another car, which he says started the chain reaction that caused the crash. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Jim Martin Trucking LLC out of Hayden, Idaho confirmed with KHQ the driver of the semi-truck involved in Wednesday's crash on I-90 in downtown Spokane is okay and is cooperating with Troopers. The driver, who was hauling crushed cars, says he was cut off by another car, which he says started the chain reaction that caused the crash. 

    >>
  • 12-year-old trapped underwater for nearly 9 minutes in resort pool

    12-year-old trapped underwater for nearly 9 minutes in resort pool

    Wednesday, April 25 2018 11:58 PM EDT2018-04-26 03:58:03 GMT
    NBC NewsNBC News
    NBC NewsNBC News

    MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Police in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina say a 12-year-old-boy is alive after being trapped underwater for nine minutes. A video obtained by NBC News shows the boy and his friend swimming around the lazy river at a resort. They removed a metal grate on the floor. The boy was swimming down to explore the hole when his leg became stuck. His friend and several adults tried to get him out, but were unsuccessful. 

    >>

    MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Police in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina say a 12-year-old-boy is alive after being trapped underwater for nine minutes. A video obtained by NBC News shows the boy and his friend swimming around the lazy river at a resort. They removed a metal grate on the floor. The boy was swimming down to explore the hole when his leg became stuck. His friend and several adults tried to get him out, but were unsuccessful. 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • CASTING CALL: Z Nation needs ZOMBIES for season 5

    CASTING CALL: Z Nation needs ZOMBIES for season 5

    Thursday, April 26 2018 5:05 PM EDT2018-04-26 21:05:41 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Z Nation is coming back to Spokane to film a fifth season, but they need zombies.  Zombie auditions will happen May 5th from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at Redeemer Lutheran Church, located at 3606 S. Old Schafer Road in Spokane Valley.  You can sign up for an audition time on Z Nation's official Zombie Audition Facebook page. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Z Nation is coming back to Spokane to film a fifth season, but they need zombies.  Zombie auditions will happen May 5th from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at Redeemer Lutheran Church, located at 3606 S. Old Schafer Road in Spokane Valley.  You can sign up for an audition time on Z Nation's official Zombie Audition Facebook page. 

    >>
  • 100+ nail salons in Washington state fail sanitation and safety inspections

    100+ nail salons in Washington state fail sanitation and safety inspections

    Thursday, April 26 2018 4:25 PM EDT2018-04-26 20:25:50 GMT

    KHQ.COM - More than 100 nail salons in Washington state recently failed safety and sanitation inspections from the Washington State Department of Licensing. If you think these salons are required to post these violations publicly, think again. Unlike restaurants, there's no letter grade at the door that can tell you if the services inside have been deemed safe.

    >>

    KHQ.COM - More than 100 nail salons in Washington state recently failed safety and sanitation inspections from the Washington State Department of Licensing. If you think these salons are required to post these violations publicly, think again. Unlike restaurants, there's no letter grade at the door that can tell you if the services inside have been deemed safe.

    >>
  • Man with warrants for his arrest adds on new charges after leading Spokane Co. on pursuit

    Man with warrants for his arrest adds on new charges after leading Spokane Co. on pursuit

    Thursday, April 26 2018 4:00 PM EDT2018-04-26 20:00:40 GMT

    MEAD, Wash. - A 25-year-old man with active warrants out for his arrest added a few new charges to his rap sheet after leading Spokane County Deputies on an early morning pursuit on Thursday. 

    >>

    MEAD, Wash. - A 25-year-old man with active warrants out for his arrest added a few new charges to his rap sheet after leading Spokane County Deputies on an early morning pursuit on Thursday.  Deputies spotted a van known to be used by Michael Rider at a home in the Mead area just prior to 2:30 a.m. Knowing Rider had warrants for his arrest, including one for burglary, 

    >>