US officials: 4th US soldier dead after attack in Niger - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

US officials: 4th US soldier dead after attack in Niger

Posted: Updated:

WASHINGTON (AP) - After an extensive search, a U.S. soldier who had been missing for nearly two days in Niger has been found dead, a result of a deadly ambush by dozens of Islamic extremists on a joint patrol of American and Niger forces, U.S. military officials said Friday.

The soldier, whose name has not been released, was one of four U.S. troops and four Niger forces killed in the attack.

His body was found by Niger soldiers on Friday near where the ambush occurred, and then transferred into U.S. custody at a safer location further from the attack site, said Army Col. Mark Cheadle, spokesman for U.S. Africa Command. The soldier's body was then moved onto an American helicopter by U.S. forces in a somber ceremony and then taken away for formal identification.

Eight Niger soldiers and two U.S. troops were wounded in the attack, but they were evacuated from the area on Wednesday after the attack unfolded. Cheadle said there was no indication the missing soldier was ever taken captive by the enemy forces.

U.S. officials described a chaotic assault in a densely wooded area, as 40-50 extremists in vehicles and on motorcycles fired rocket-propelled grenades and heavy machine guns at the patrol, setting off explosions and shattering windows. The soldiers got out of their trucks, returning fire and calling in support from French helicopters and fighter jets that quickly responded to the scene, according to officials. It's unclear if the French aircraft were armed or if they fired on the insurgents.

The officials weren't authorized to discuss the matter publicly so spoke on condition of anonymity.

U.S. officials say they believe extremists linked to the Islamic State group were responsible for the attack about 200 kilometers (120 miles) north of Niger's capital, Niamey.

The U.S. and Niger forces were leaving a meeting with tribal leaders when they were ambushed.

Cheadle said there were no armed aircraft overhead as the U.S. and Niger forces went on their mission, but there was surveillance. The meeting with local leaders, he said, had been considered a low threat mission that wasn't likely to lead to an encounter with any enemy forces.

He said there were about a dozen U.S. forces accompanying a company of Niger troops, for a total of about 40 service members in the joint mission.

Most of the U.S. troops were Army special forces, but the soldier found Friday was not a Green Beret, other U.S. officials said.

In the frenetic aftermath of the attack, a wide array of forces from the U.S., Niger and France were tapped to search for the missing soldiers. Cheadle said more than 100 troops either took part in the search or were prepared to join it.  It's not clear if the U.S. sent ground forces in to search, but Niger troops were actively looking for the soldier.

Cheadle told Pentagon reporters that U.S. Africa Command is still gathering information about the attack, but no formal investigation has been launched. And he added the U.S. military is absolutely "resolved to go after those who attacked" the troops.

According to a statement by Niger's army chief of staff, the joint patrol was attacked by "terrorist elements" in a dozen vehicles and about 20 motorcycles.

The statement said the deaths and injuries came "after intense fighting, during which elements of the joint force showed exemplary courage."

U.S. special operations forces have been routinely working with Niger's forces, helping them to improve their abilities to fight extremists in the region. That effort has increased in recent years, the Pentagon said.

Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Burkina Faso and Chad are putting together a 5,000-strong G5 Sahel force to fight the growing threat from extremists in the vast Sahel region. The first units are expected to deploy in October and all battalions should be on the ground by March 2018.

The Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution in June welcoming the deployment, but at U.S. insistence it did not include any possibility of U.N. financing for the force.

That force will operate in the region along with a 12,000-strong U.N. peacekeeping mission in Mali, which has become the deadliest in the world for U.N. peacekeepers, and France's 5,000-strong Barkhane military operation, its largest overseas mission.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

10/6/2017 2:19:52 PM (GMT -7:00)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Racial slurs lead to vicious assault in downtown Spokane

    Racial slurs lead to vicious assault in downtown Spokane

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 10:22 PM EST2017-12-13 03:22:40 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A downtown bar manager is recovering after a vicious assault that occurred last Tuesday. He said it all started when he tried to remove two customers after they were spewing racial slurs.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A downtown bar manager is recovering after a vicious assault that occurred last Tuesday. He said it all started when he tried to remove two customers after they were spewing racial slurs.

    >>
  • Missoula Police searching for 'person of interest' after childrens' bones found in shed

    Missoula Police searching for 'person of interest' after childrens' bones found in shed

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 6:25 PM EST2017-12-13 23:25:24 GMT

    MISSOULA, Mont. - Law enforcement officers in western Montana have a "person of interest" they want to interview after a box containing the bones and teeth of three children were found in the shed of a Missoula home in September.

    >>

    MISSOULA, Mont. - Law enforcement officers in western Montana have a "person of interest" they want to interview after a box containing the bones and teeth of three children were found in the shed of a Missoula home in September.

    >>
  • 3 people arrested for killing Colville father with a hammer

    3 people arrested for killing Colville father with a hammer

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 2:19 AM EST2017-12-13 07:19:59 GMT

    STEVENS COUNTY, Wash. - Three people are facing charges for a murder in Stevens County that happened more than a year ago. The case had all but gone cold until recently, now it's taken a dramatic turn. The deputy prosecutor in Stevens County describes it as brutal. Now three people, including the victim's ex-wife, are facing first degree murder charges after she confessed to investigators.

    >>

    STEVENS COUNTY, Wash. - Three people are facing charges for a murder in Stevens County that happened more than a year ago. The case had all but gone cold until recently, now it's taken a dramatic turn. The deputy prosecutor in Stevens County describes it as brutal. Now three people, including the victim's ex-wife, are facing first degree murder charges after she confessed to investigators.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Police: Virginia man crashes car, strips naked, jumps on truck during rush hour

    Police: Virginia man crashes car, strips naked, jumps on truck during rush hour

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 7:22 PM EST2017-12-14 00:22:36 GMT
    Police: Virginia man crashes car, strips naked, jumps on truck during rush hourPolice: Virginia man crashes car, strips naked, jumps on truck during rush hour

    FAIRFAX, Va. - If you think your commute is stressful, wait till you read this.  After crashing his car during rush hour, police say a Fairfax, Virginia man began attacking the driver of the car he hit before stripping down to his birthday suit, and jumping on top of a truck.  Police tell NBC News 4 in Washington, D.C. that 32-year-old Jose Gonzales Flores tried shattering windows of cars passing by before using a knife to stab the top of the truck.  

    >>

    FAIRFAX, Va. - If you think your commute is stressful, wait till you read this.  After crashing his car during rush hour, police say a Fairfax, Virginia man began attacking the driver of the car he hit before stripping down to his birthday suit, and jumping on top of a truck.  Police tell NBC News 4 in Washington, D.C. that 32-year-old Jose Gonzales Flores tried shattering windows of cars passing by before using a knife to stab the top of the truck.  

    >>
  • Man accused of burning Phoenix suburb's $40K Christmas tree

    Man accused of burning Phoenix suburb's $40K Christmas tree

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 7:21 PM EST2017-12-14 00:21:41 GMT

    MESA, Ariz. (AP) - Police in the city of Mesa near Phoenix say a man has been arrested on suspicion of arson and criminal damage for allegedly burning the city's $40,000 Christmas tree.

    >>

    MESA, Ariz. (AP) - Police in the city of Mesa near Phoenix say a man has been arrested on suspicion of arson and criminal damage for allegedly burning the city's $40,000 Christmas tree.

    >>
  • Ho-ho-hole! Christmas tree planted in Mississippi pothole

    Ho-ho-hole! Christmas tree planted in Mississippi pothole

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 7:01 PM EST2017-12-14 00:01:18 GMT

    JACKSON, Mississippi - A neighborhood in Jackson, Mississippi isn't letting a few potholes dull their holiday spirit.  To fix the dilemma, they added a Christmas tree to cover the problem. The holiday timber was placed on top of the sinkhole along Poplar Boulevard.  Residents say they did this because the city went weeks without repairing the street. 

    >>

    JACKSON, Mississippi - A neighborhood in Jackson, Mississippi isn't letting a few potholes dull their holiday spirit.  To fix the dilemma, they added a Christmas tree to cover the problem. The holiday timber was placed on top of the sinkhole along Poplar Boulevard.  Residents say they did this because the city went weeks without repairing the street. 

    >>