Michigan judge rescinds order in custody case - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Michigan judge rescinds order in custody case

Posted: Updated:
Photo: Michigan DOC Photo: Michigan DOC
SANDUSKY, Mich. -

A Michigan judge has rescinded his order that gave a convicted sex offender joint legal custody of a child born to a woman who said the man raped her when she was 12.

Sanilac County Judge Gregory Ross ruled Tuesday that 27-year-old Christopher Mirasolo won't have any parental rights in connection to the 8-year-old boy.

The case started when the 21-year-old mother sought state assistance for her son. As a condition of receiving assistance, the state required she cooperate in pursuing paternity verification and financial support from the child's father.

A DNA test confirmed paternity. Mirasolo never sought parental rights, but Ross granted him joint legal custody and ordered him to pay child support last month.

Ross quickly put the order on hold after learning Mirasolo had two previous criminal sexual conduct convictions, including one concerning the boy's mother.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Court documents offer disturbing details in Spokane infant's death

    Court documents offer disturbing details in Spokane infant's death

    Saturday, August 18 2018 2:34 AM EDT2018-08-18 06:34:50 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Court documents are offering more details about a disturbing case of child abuse in Spokane. Investigators arrested 33-year-old Erik Sherman in the death of his baby Thursday. One doctor who witnessed the abuse told investigators in court documents it was "one of the worst cases of child abuse he had seen in 23 years of practice."

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Court documents are offering more details about a disturbing case of child abuse in Spokane. Investigators arrested 33-year-old Erik Sherman in the death of his baby Thursday. One doctor who witnessed the abuse told investigators in court documents it was "one of the worst cases of child abuse he had seen in 23 years of practice."

    >>
  • Legal battle raging over home owned by Shasta Groene but used by her dad

    Legal battle raging over home owned by Shasta Groene but used by her dad

    Saturday, August 18 2018 2:37 AM EDT2018-08-18 06:37:31 GMT

    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - 13 years ago Shasta Groene lived through unimaginable horror. In mid-May, 2005, her mother, her mother's boyfriend, and her oldest brother were murdered in front of her. 8-year-old Shasta was kidnapped and, along with her 9-year-old brother Dylan, tortured and sexually abused for weeks. 

    >>

    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - 13 years ago Shasta Groene lived through unimaginable horror. In mid-May, 2005, her mother, her mother's boyfriend, and her oldest brother were murdered in front of her. 8-year-old Shasta was kidnapped and, along with her 9-year-old brother Dylan, tortured and sexually abused for weeks. 

    >>
  • Lawyer says girls' bodies were submerged in oil

    Lawyer says girls' bodies were submerged in oil

    Friday, August 17 2018 9:16 PM EDT2018-08-18 01:16:06 GMT

    FREDERICK, Colo. (AP) - A lawyer for a Colorado man suspected in the deaths of his pregnant wife and two young daughters says the daughters' bodies were submerged in crude oil for four days before they were found.  Defense attorney James Merson made the statement in a court motion Friday. The motion asks a judge to order that DNA samples be taken from the children's throats.

    >>

    FREDERICK, Colo. (AP) - A lawyer for a Colorado man suspected in the deaths of his pregnant wife and two young daughters says the daughters' bodies were submerged in crude oil for four days before they were found.  Defense attorney James Merson made the statement in a court motion Friday. The motion asks a judge to order that DNA samples be taken from the children's throats.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Cougar Creek fire at over 35,000 acres, still 35 percent contained

    Cougar Creek fire at over 35,000 acres, still 35 percent contained

    Saturday, August 18 2018 6:38 PM EDT2018-08-18 22:38:19 GMT

    CHELAN COUNTY, Wash. -  The Cougar Creek fire remains at 35 percent contained, but has increased in size approaching 36,000 acres as of Saturday. The fire burning in Chelan County is now at 35,809 acres with 1,106 personnel on scene. Wind conditions helped push smoke out of the valleys, but increased fire behavior across the area Friday.

    >>

    CHELAN COUNTY, Wash. -  The Cougar Creek fire remains at 35 percent contained, but has increased in size approaching 36,000 acres as of Saturday. The fire burning in Chelan County is now at 35,809 acres with 1,106 personnel on scene. Wind conditions helped push smoke out of the valleys, but increased fire behavior across the area Friday.

    >>
  • Judge upholds delay of anti-segregation housing rule

    Judge upholds delay of anti-segregation housing rule

    Saturday, August 18 2018 6:24 PM EDT2018-08-18 22:24:25 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal judge has upheld a decision by the Department of Housing and Urban Development to delay an Obama-era anti-discrimination rule. Chief Judge Beryl A. Howell of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia on Friday threw out a lawsuit filed by civil rights groups challenging HUD's delay of the rule. 

    >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal judge has upheld a decision by the Department of Housing and Urban Development to delay an Obama-era anti-discrimination rule. Chief Judge Beryl A. Howell of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia on Friday threw out a lawsuit filed by civil rights groups challenging HUD's delay of the rule. 

    >>
  • Man bites off another man's finger in golf course brawl

    Man bites off another man's finger in golf course brawl

    Saturday, August 18 2018 6:13 PM EDT2018-08-18 22:13:44 GMT

    PLYMOUTH, Mass. (AP) - A man has bitten off another man's finger during a fight at a Massachusetts golf course.  WCVB-TV reports a 47-year-old man was arrested at the Southers Marsh Golf Club in Plymouth Friday after he apparently got into a fight with another golfer and bit off a part of his thumb. The station reports the victim's thumb had been bitten off to his knuckle and he was transported to a local hospital for treatment. 

    >>

    PLYMOUTH, Mass. (AP) - A man has bitten off another man's finger during a fight at a Massachusetts golf course.  WCVB-TV reports a 47-year-old man was arrested at the Southers Marsh Golf Club in Plymouth Friday after he apparently got into a fight with another golfer and bit off a part of his thumb. The station reports the victim's thumb had been bitten off to his knuckle and he was transported to a local hospital for treatment. 

    >>