Keeping Vigil: Neighbors rally around family after everything th - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Keeping Vigil: Neighbors rally around family after everything they own goes up in flames

September 15th will be a day the Pesich family will long remember. The home the family of 6 lived in went up in flames in a matter of minutes along Highway 195 near Excelsior Road.

In tonight's Keeping Vigil, sometimes in your darkest hours is when you find light.

Bronco Pesich watched everything he owned go up in flames.

"Every single thing.  All I had was a pair of shorts, a tank top my daughter and my dog.  I didn't even have my shoes on."

New to Spokane the Pesich family quickly became homeless.

"I watched this happen in 20 minutes my whole house went from this giant beautiful house to just flat," Bronco said. "It was devastating but at the same time I remember when it was happening there was a sort of calmness that came over me. I just kept repeating it.  God I know you love me and I love you and I know you've got my back basically."

As if a miracle happened before his eyes, Bronco saw neighbors and complete strangers  rush to his family's side.

"Within the first 10 minutes of the fire, pretty much all my neighbors on all sides came to our aid," Bronco said.

One of those neighbors is Valerie Murphy who's been a pillar for the family since day one.

"Val has been great.  She's been sort of on the front lines for us," Bronco said.

"I'm a true believer that there is goodness in all of us.  It's so much easier to be on the giving end than the receiving end," Valerie said.

She used the app Next Door to reach out to others for help.

"I had one lady knock on my door and hand me several hundred-dollar Target gift cards," she said. "Just those kinds of moments that have been so uplifting."

Within days the Pesich family was overwhelmed with the kindness, generosity and outpouring of support to move them forward from the fire.

"It's just made my faith a whole lot stronger and it's made me realize the material stuff that we lost is not really all that important," Bronco said. "It's all replaceable but it's life that's not replaceable. I'm eternally grateful to God for sparing my family and my daughter and even my dog."

The Pesich family plans to rebuild right where they planted their roots.

"We're not going anywhere.  We love Spokane."

While fire investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the fire, the Pesich family would like to thank them for their hard work and preventing their neighbors' homes from going up in flames.

Coeur d'Alene man accused of giving child STD

Tuesday, November 20 2018 10:07 PM EST2018-11-21 03:07:56 GMT

A Coeur d’Alene man is accused of giving his fiancé’s five-year old daughter a sexually transmitted disease. Corey McGrath was arraigned in Kootenai County District Court Tuesday on charges of lewd conduct with a minor.

One man dead, one woman seriously injured in northeast Spokane shooting; Suspect in custody

Wednesday, November 21 2018 11:59 AM EST2018-11-21 16:59:42 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - UPDATE: Spokane Police say Donavan Gibson is now in custody. Gibson is listed on the Spokane County Jail inmate roster under charges of 1st Degree Murder and 1st Degree Attempted Murder.

Man pleads guilty, sentenced to two years in Airway Heights baseball-bat beating death

Wednesday, November 21 2018 1:10 AM EST2018-11-21 06:10:35 GMT
    Brandon Pierce (Top) and Christian Palmer (Bottom)Brandon Pierce (Top) and Christian Palmer (Bottom)

A man convicted in the 2017 baseball-bat beating death of a man in Airway Heights has been sentenced to two years in state prison.

Roberts criticizes Trump for "Obama judge" asylum comment

Wednesday, November 21 2018 12:51 PM EST2018-11-21 17:51:23 GMT

WASHINGTON - Chief Justice John Roberts is pushing back against President Donald Trump's description of a judge who ruled against Trump's new migrant asylum policy as an "Obama judge." It's the first time that the leader of the federal judiciary has offered even a hint of criticism of Trump, who has previously blasted federal judges who ruled against him.

US mortgage rates fall: 30-year at 4.81 percent

Wednesday, November 21 2018 12:17 PM EST2018-11-21 17:17:59 GMT

U.S. long-term mortgage rates recorded the biggest drop in nearly four years this week, but remain much higher than they were a year ago.    Mortgage giant Freddie Mac says the average rate on the benchmark 30-year, fixed-rate mortgage fell to 4.81 percent this week, down from 4.94 percent a week earlier. It was the biggest weekly drop since January 2015. But the 30-year rate was still up from 3.92 percent a year ago.

Boise Police say officer was intentionally hit by car during traffic stop; Suspect on the loose

Wednesday, November 21 2018 12:08 PM EST2018-11-21 17:08:25 GMT

BOISE - A Boise Police officer was intentionally hit by a driver early Wednesday morning, according to the department.  The officer pulled the car over at around 4:00 am. During the stop, police say the driver intentional hit the officer and then drove away.  The suspect is still on the loose.  The officer was rushed to the hospital for treatment. His injuries are not considered life-threatening.