Keeping Vigil: Neighbors rally around family after everything th - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Keeping Vigil: Neighbors rally around family after everything they own goes up in flames

September 15th will be a day the Pesich family will long remember. The home the family of 6 lived in went up in flames in a matter of minutes along Highway 195 near Excelsior Road.

In tonight's Keeping Vigil, sometimes in your darkest hours is when you find light.

Bronco Pesich watched everything he owned go up in flames.

"Every single thing.  All I had was a pair of shorts, a tank top my daughter and my dog.  I didn't even have my shoes on."

New to Spokane the Pesich family quickly became homeless.

"I watched this happen in 20 minutes my whole house went from this giant beautiful house to just flat," Bronco said. "It was devastating but at the same time I remember when it was happening there was a sort of calmness that came over me. I just kept repeating it.  God I know you love me and I love you and I know you've got my back basically."

As if a miracle happened before his eyes, Bronco saw neighbors and complete strangers  rush to his family's side.

"Within the first 10 minutes of the fire, pretty much all my neighbors on all sides came to our aid," Bronco said.

One of those neighbors is Valerie Murphy who's been a pillar for the family since day one.

"Val has been great.  She's been sort of on the front lines for us," Bronco said.

"I'm a true believer that there is goodness in all of us.  It's so much easier to be on the giving end than the receiving end," Valerie said.

She used the app Next Door to reach out to others for help.

"I had one lady knock on my door and hand me several hundred-dollar Target gift cards," she said. "Just those kinds of moments that have been so uplifting."

Within days the Pesich family was overwhelmed with the kindness, generosity and outpouring of support to move them forward from the fire.

"It's just made my faith a whole lot stronger and it's made me realize the material stuff that we lost is not really all that important," Bronco said. "It's all replaceable but it's life that's not replaceable. I'm eternally grateful to God for sparing my family and my daughter and even my dog."

The Pesich family plans to rebuild right where they planted their roots.

"We're not going anywhere.  We love Spokane."

While fire investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the fire, the Pesich family would like to thank them for their hard work and preventing their neighbors' homes from going up in flames.

Court documents offer disturbing details in Spokane infant's death

Saturday, August 18 2018 2:34 AM EDT2018-08-18 06:34:50 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Court documents are offering more details about a disturbing case of child abuse in Spokane. Investigators arrested 33-year-old Erik Sherman in the death of his baby Thursday. One doctor who witnessed the abuse told investigators in court documents it was "one of the worst cases of child abuse he had seen in 23 years of practice."

Legal battle raging over home owned by Shasta Groene but used by her dad

Saturday, August 18 2018 2:37 AM EDT2018-08-18 06:37:31 GMT

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - 13 years ago Shasta Groene lived through unimaginable horror. In mid-May, 2005, her mother, her mother's boyfriend, and her oldest brother were murdered in front of her. 8-year-old Shasta was kidnapped and, along with her 9-year-old brother Dylan, tortured and sexually abused for weeks.

Lawyer says girls' bodies were submerged in oil

Friday, August 17 2018 9:16 PM EDT2018-08-18 01:16:06 GMT

FREDERICK, Colo. (AP) - A lawyer for a Colorado man suspected in the deaths of his pregnant wife and two young daughters says the daughters' bodies were submerged in crude oil for four days before they were found.  Defense attorney James Merson made the statement in a court motion Friday. The motion asks a judge to order that DNA samples be taken from the children's throats.

Cougar Creek fire at over 35,000 acres, still 35 percent contained

Saturday, August 18 2018 6:38 PM EDT2018-08-18 22:38:19 GMT

CHELAN COUNTY, Wash. -  The Cougar Creek fire remains at 35 percent contained, but has increased in size approaching 36,000 acres as of Saturday. The fire burning in Chelan County is now at 35,809 acres with 1,106 personnel on scene. Wind conditions helped push smoke out of the valleys, but increased fire behavior across the area Friday.

Judge upholds delay of anti-segregation housing rule

Saturday, August 18 2018 6:24 PM EDT2018-08-18 22:24:25 GMT

WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal judge has upheld a decision by the Department of Housing and Urban Development to delay an Obama-era anti-discrimination rule. Chief Judge Beryl A. Howell of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia on Friday threw out a lawsuit filed by civil rights groups challenging HUD's delay of the rule.

Man bites off another man's finger in golf course brawl

Saturday, August 18 2018 6:13 PM EDT2018-08-18 22:13:44 GMT

PLYMOUTH, Mass. (AP) - A man has bitten off another man's finger during a fight at a Massachusetts golf course.  WCVB-TV reports a 47-year-old man was arrested at the Southers Marsh Golf Club in Plymouth Friday after he apparently got into a fight with another golfer and bit off a part of his thumb. The station reports the victim's thumb had been bitten off to his knuckle and he was transported to a local hospital for treatment.