5-year-old girl fighting for her life after Spokane space heater - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

5-year-old girl fighting for her life after Spokane space heater fire

Posted: Updated:
SPOKANE, Wash. -

A little girl is fighting for her life in a Seattle burn unit after a heartbreaking accident  in east Spokane Tuesday. Investigators say it all started with something most of us have in our own homes.

Just after 3:30 p.m., firefighters got a call of a young girl and a woman with burns near Cataldo and Lee. When they arrived they found neighbors working on the two in the front yard of their home. The 5-year-old girl and her mom were immediately rushed to the hospital. The girl had life threatening burns to the majority of her body, the mother with significant injuries from carrying her.

Investigators believe a space heater caught the little girl's pajamas on fire and her mother was burned as she tried rescuing her.

The family, who is from the Republic of the Congo are now in Seattle with the mother and daughter.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental and firefighters say as temperatures drop, more and more people use space heaters.

The Electrical Safety Foundation International offers the following safety tips when operating a space heater in your home:

  • Make sure your space heater has the label showing that it is listed by a recognized testing laboratory.
  • Before using any space heater, read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels carefully.
  • Inspect heaters for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections before each use. If frayed, worn or damaged, do not use the heater.
  • Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you're leaving a room or going to sleep, and don't let pets or children play too close to a space heater.
  • Space heaters are only meant to provide supplemental heat and should never be used to warm bedding, cook food, dry clothing or thaw pipes.
  • Install smoke alarms on every floor of your home and outside all sleeping areas and test them once a month.
  • Proper placement of space heaters is critical. Heaters must be kept at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including papers, clothing and rugs.
  • Locate space heaters out of high traffic areas and doorways where they may pose a tripping hazard.
  • Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Do not use an extension cord or power strip, which could overheat and result in a fire. Do not plug any other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater.
  • Place space heaters on level, flat surfaces. Never place heaters on cabinets, tables, furniture, or carpet, which can overheat and start a fire.
  • Always unplug and safely store the heater when it is not in use.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Defense DNA request denied in deaths of Colorado mom, kids

    Defense DNA request denied in deaths of Colorado mom, kids

    Saturday, August 18 2018 8:33 PM EDT2018-08-19 00:33:15 GMT

    FREDERICK, Colo. (AP) - A Colorado judge has denied a request by a defense attorney for a man accused of killing his wife and two daughters to require a coroner to collect DNA from the necks of the young girls. KMGH-TV and the Daily Camera newspaper in Boulder reported the judge said in an order he would not tell the medical examiner's office involved in the case how to do its job. 

    >>

    FREDERICK, Colo. (AP) - A Colorado judge has denied a request by a defense attorney for a man accused of killing his wife and two daughters to require a coroner to collect DNA from the necks of the young girls. KMGH-TV and the Daily Camera newspaper in Boulder reported the judge said in an order he would not tell the medical examiner's office involved in the case how to do its job. 

    >>
  • Gonzaga Official: Chick-Fil-A not coming to Spokane

    Gonzaga Official: Chick-Fil-A not coming to Spokane

    Sunday, August 19 2018 12:53 PM EDT2018-08-19 16:53:47 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - The rumor that was quickly spread Saturday about a Chick-Fil-A franchise coming to Gonzaga University is false, according to a Gonzaga official. Mary Joan Hahn, the Senior Director of Community & Public Relations at Gonzaga, tells KHQ that this information is inaccurate. She wasn't able to explain how the information got out in the first place, but Gonzaga is looking into it.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - The rumor that was quickly spread Saturday about a Chick-Fil-A franchise coming to Gonzaga University is false, according to a Gonzaga official. Mary Joan Hahn, the Senior Director of Community & Public Relations at Gonzaga, tells KHQ that this information is inaccurate. She wasn't able to explain how the information got out in the first place, but Gonzaga is looking into it.

    >>
  • Exposed handlebar grip kills 6-year-old Pullman boy in bicycle crash

    Exposed handlebar grip kills 6-year-old Pullman boy in bicycle crash

    Wednesday, August 15 2018 2:13 AM EDT2018-08-15 06:13:21 GMT

    PULLMAN, Wash. - Six-year-old Denny Curran should be enjoying his last few days of summer before first grade. He should be teasing his brother, splashing in the pool, giving his parents a hard time about vegetables. Instead, Denny is dead, the victim of a horrific, freak bicycle accident that could happen to your child too. "Denny was an extraordinary child," his father Keith Curran told KHQ.

    >>

    PULLMAN, Wash. - Six-year-old Denny Curran should be enjoying his last few days of summer before first grade. He should be teasing his brother, splashing in the pool, giving his parents a hard time about vegetables. Instead, Denny is dead, the victim of a horrific, freak bicycle accident that could happen to your child too. "Denny was an extraordinary child," his father Keith Curran told KHQ.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Glacier wildfire forces evacuations, burns close to Sun Road

    Glacier wildfire forces evacuations, burns close to Sun Road

    Sunday, August 19 2018 2:54 PM EDT2018-08-19 18:54:22 GMT

    GLACIER NATIONAL PARK, Mont. (AP) - A wildfire in northwest Montana's Glacier National Park is forcing evacuations and has burned within a mile (1.6 kilometers) of the scenic Going-to-the-Sun Road. The Missoulian reported Sunday that the Howe Ridge fire had grown to more than 12 square miles (31 square kilometers), and shifting winds are forecast over the next day and a half.  

    >>

    GLACIER NATIONAL PARK, Mont. (AP) - A wildfire in northwest Montana's Glacier National Park is forcing evacuations and has burned within a mile (1.6 kilometers) of the scenic Going-to-the-Sun Road. The Missoulian reported Sunday that the Howe Ridge fire had grown to more than 12 square miles (31 square kilometers), and shifting winds are forecast over the next day and a half.  

    >>
  • Boyds fire near Kettle Falls up to 43 percent containment

    Boyds fire near Kettle Falls up to 43 percent containment

    Sunday, August 19 2018 2:10 PM EDT2018-08-19 18:10:48 GMT

    FERRY COUNTY, Wash. - Crews continue to make progress on the Boyds fire near Kettle Falls, nearing the halfway mark for containment percentage as of Sunday morning. The 3,065-acre fire is now reported at 43 percent containment with 923 personnel working on it. Crews made good progress Saturday strengthening containment lines, mopping up, doing burnout operations and monitoring for hotspots.

    >>

    FERRY COUNTY, Wash. - Crews continue to make progress on the Boyds fire near Kettle Falls, nearing the halfway mark for containment percentage as of Sunday morning. The 3,065-acre fire is now reported at 43 percent containment with 923 personnel working on it. Crews made good progress Saturday strengthening containment lines, mopping up, doing burnout operations and monitoring for hotspots.

    >>
  • Gonzaga Official: Chick-Fil-A not coming to Spokane

    Gonzaga Official: Chick-Fil-A not coming to Spokane

    Sunday, August 19 2018 12:53 PM EDT2018-08-19 16:53:47 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - The rumor that was quickly spread Saturday about a Chick-Fil-A franchise coming to Gonzaga University is false, according to a Gonzaga official. Mary Joan Hahn, the Senior Director of Community & Public Relations at Gonzaga, tells KHQ that this information is inaccurate. She wasn't able to explain how the information got out in the first place, but Gonzaga is looking into it.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - The rumor that was quickly spread Saturday about a Chick-Fil-A franchise coming to Gonzaga University is false, according to a Gonzaga official. Mary Joan Hahn, the Senior Director of Community & Public Relations at Gonzaga, tells KHQ that this information is inaccurate. She wasn't able to explain how the information got out in the first place, but Gonzaga is looking into it.

    >>