Puerto Rico to scrap Whitefish contract - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Puerto Rico to scrap Whitefish contract

Posted: Updated:
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -

Update: 

The head of Puerto Rico's government power company says the agency will scrap a $300 million contract with Whitefish Energy Holdings once it finishes current work on Hurricane Maria recovery efforts.
  
Power company director Ricardo Ramos said Sunday that he's bowing to a demand by the U.S. territory's governor, Ricardo Rossello.
  
Ramos says the cancellation will delay work by 10 to 12 weeks.
  
The contract for the small Montana company has come under intense scrutiny, and audits of the Whitefish contract at a local and federal level are under way.
  
Roughly 70 percent of the island remains without power more than a month after Hurricane Maria struck the U.S. territory on Sept. 20.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Previous coverage:

Puerto Rico’s governor on Sunday demanded that the board of the island’s power company cancel the $300M contract with Whitefish Energy Holdings amid increased scrutiny of the Montana company’s role in Hurricane Maria recovery efforts.

The announcement by Gov. Ricardo Rossello comes as federal legislators seek to investigate the contract awarded to the small company from Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke’s hometown.

“There cannot be any kind of distraction that alters the commitment to restore electrical power as soon as possible in Puerto Rico,” Rossello said, adding that at least $8 million has been paid to Whitefish so far.

Neither Whitefish nor power company officials immediately returned messages for comment.

Rossello said he has requested that power crews from New York and Florida come help restore power in Puerto Rico and he criticized the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for not meeting its goals. The agency could not be immediately reached for comment.

Roughly 70 percent of the island remains without power more than a month after Hurricane Maria struck the U.S. territory on Sept. 20 as a Category 4 storm with winds of up to 154 mph (245 kph). Power company Director Ricardo Ramos has said that Puerto Rico’s Electric Power Authority reached a deal with Whitefish just days before the hurricane struck. He also said that the Federal Emergency Management Agency had approved of the deal, something the agency has denied.

FEMA said this week that it has not approved any reimbursement requests from the power company for money to cover repairs to the island’s electrical system. The contract said the utility would not pay costs unallowable under FEMA grants, but it also said, “The federal government is not a party to this contract.”

FEMA has raised concerns about how Whitefish got the deal and whether the contracted prices were reasonable. The 2-year-old company had just two full-time employees when the storm hit, but it has since hired more than 300 workers.

A Whitefish contract obtained by The Associated Press found that the deal included $20,277 an hour for a heavy lift Chinook helicopter, $650 an hour for a large crane truck, $322 an hour for a foreman of a power line crew, $319 an hour for a journeyman lineman and $286 an hour for a mechanic. Each worker also gets a daily allowance of $80 for food, $332 for a hotel room and $1,000 for each flight to or from the mainland.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Cops: Naked drunken man drives into tree while having sex near Tacoma

    Cops: Naked drunken man drives into tree while having sex near Tacoma

    Friday, November 24 2017 1:42 PM EST2017-11-24 18:42:08 GMT

    LA GRANDE, Wash. - Authorities say a man who was drunk, naked and having sex with a woman while driving south of Tacoma missed a curve and struck a tree. Washington State Patrol spokeswoman Brooke Bova says the crash happened at about 6 p.m. Wednesday on Mountain Highway East near La Grande. 

    >>

    LA GRANDE, Wash. - Authorities say a man who was drunk, naked and having sex with a woman while driving south of Tacoma missed a curve and struck a tree. Washington State Patrol spokeswoman Brooke Bova says the crash happened at about 6 p.m. Wednesday on Mountain Highway East near La Grande. 

    >>
  • Head-on crash kills 1, injures 8, when driver attempts to pass slow-moving vehicle on Hwy 95

    Head-on crash kills 1, injures 8, when driver attempts to pass slow-moving vehicle on Hwy 95

    Thursday, November 23 2017 4:01 PM EST2017-11-23 21:01:52 GMT

    SAGLE, Idaho - A fatal and serious injury head-on crash has killed one man and injured eight others, including five children, who all had to be transported to Kootenai Health. The crash occurred on Wednesday, November 22, the day before Thanksgiving, on Highway 95 at milepost 466.5, two miles south of Sagle, Idaho.

    >>

    SAGLE, Idaho - A fatal and serious injury head-on crash has killed one man and injured eight others, including five children, who all had to be transported to Kootenai Health. The crash occurred on Wednesday, November 22, the day before Thanksgiving, on Highway 95 at milepost 466.5, two miles south of Sagle, Idaho.

    >>
  • Officials: 3 teens planned to kill new high school classmate

    Officials: 3 teens planned to kill new high school classmate

    Friday, November 24 2017 5:07 PM EST2017-11-24 22:07:32 GMT

    BENTON CITY, Wash. (AP) - Authorities say they're investigating an attempted murder plot involving several students at a southern Washington high school.    The Tri-City Herald reports that three 16-year-old students - two boys and a girl - had plotted to kill an 18-year-old classmate on Nov. 15.    The classmate, who was not hurt, was lured to the back of a market, where they had planned to kill him with a knife.

    >>

    BENTON CITY, Wash. (AP) - Authorities say they're investigating an attempted murder plot involving several students at a southern Washington high school.    The Tri-City Herald reports that three 16-year-old students - two boys and a girl - had plotted to kill an 18-year-old classmate on Nov. 15.    The classmate, who was not hurt, was lured to the back of a market, where they had planned to kill him with a knife.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Man charged with second degree murder in Newman Lake death investigation

    Man charged with second degree murder in Newman Lake death investigation

    Friday, November 24 2017 11:09 PM EST2017-11-25 04:09:49 GMT

    NEWMAN LAKE, Wash. - UPDATE: Detectives have charged 29-year-old Nicholas L. Holden with second degree murder Friday evening. After concluding interviews, detectives booked Holden into Spokane County Jail. They will continue to process evidence and conduct interviews as the investigation continues.

    >>

    NEWMAN LAKE, Wash. - UPDATE: Detectives have charged 29-year-old Nicholas L. Holden with second degree murder Friday evening. After concluding interviews, detectives booked Holden into Spokane County Jail. They will continue to process evidence and conduct interviews as the investigation continues.

    >>
  • Universities revoke journalism awards given to Charlie Rose

    Universities revoke journalism awards given to Charlie Rose

    Friday, November 24 2017 11:04 PM EST2017-11-25 04:04:43 GMT

    PHOENIX (AP) - Charlie Rose, who was fired this week by CBS News and PBS in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations from multiple women, has now lost accolades from two universities.  Both Arizona State University and the University of Kansas announced the decisions Friday.    Arizona's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication gave Rose an award for journalism excellence in 2015.

    >>

    PHOENIX (AP) - Charlie Rose, who was fired this week by CBS News and PBS in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations from multiple women, has now lost accolades from two universities.  Both Arizona State University and the University of Kansas announced the decisions Friday.    Arizona's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication gave Rose an award for journalism excellence in 2015.

    >>
  • Risky stalemate as science battles human fears at Fukushima

    Risky stalemate as science battles human fears at Fukushima

    Friday, November 24 2017 10:59 PM EST2017-11-25 03:59:01 GMT

    ONAHAMA, Japan - Japan has yet to reach consensus on what to do with a million tons of radioactive water, more than six years after a tsunami overwhelmed the Fukushima nuclear power plant.    The water is stored on site in around 900 large and densely packed tanks and could spill should another major disaster strike. 

    >>

    ONAHAMA, Japan - Japan has yet to reach consensus on what to do with a million tons of radioactive water, more than six years after a tsunami overwhelmed the Fukushima nuclear power plant.    The water is stored on site in around 900 large and densely packed tanks and could spill should another major disaster strike. 

    >>