Judge: No prison time for Bowe Bergdahl, dishonorable discharge, - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Judge: No prison time for Bowe Bergdahl, dishonorable discharge, loss of rank and forfeit pay

Posted: Updated:
FORT BRAGG, N.C. -

A military judge has found that Bowe Bergdahl should serve no prison time for endangering his comrades by walking off his Afghanistan post.
  
The judge also gave Bergdahl a dishonorable discharge, reduced his rank to private and said he must forfeit pay equal to $1,000 per month for 10 months. The judge made no other comments.
  
Bergdahl appeared tense, grimaced and clenched his jaw. His attorneys put their arms around him and one patted him on the back.
  
Bergdahl pleaded guilty to desertion and misbehavior before the enemy and had faced up to life in prison. The judge had wide leeway because Bergdahl made no deal with prosecutors to limit his sentence.
  
Prosecutors had sought stiff punishment because of wounds to service members who searched for Bergdahl after he disappeared in 2009. He was held captive by Taliban allies for five years.
  
The defense sought to counter that evidence with testimony about Bergdahl's suffering during five years as a captive of Taliban allies, his contributions to military intelligence and survival instruction and his mental health problems.
  
___
  
9:25 a.m.
  
A military judge has resumed his deliberations on Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's punishment for endangering comrades by leaving his post in Afghanistan in 2009.
  
Col. Jeffery Nance called Bergdahl and lawyers for both sides into court briefly Friday to let them know that he was returning to his chamber to continue deliberations. He didn't give an indication of when he would hand down Bergdahl's sentence.
  
The 31-year-old Bergdahl, who faces up to life in prison, appeared tense during the short court session. He clenched his jaw as if grinding his teeth, then grimaced and looked at the floor when he walked out of the courtroom.
  
The judge began deliberating Thursday after hearing closing arguments by defense attorneys, who asked for no prison time, and prosecutors who are seeking 14 years behind bars.
  
2:45 a.m.
  
Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who was held for five years by Taliban allies after walking off his post in Afghanistan, will soon learn his punishment after pleading guilty to endangering his comrades.
  
A military judge began deliberating Thursday after hearing closing arguments by defense attorneys, who asked for no prison time, and prosecutors who are seeking 14 years behind bars.
  
Army Col. Jeffery Nance said he would open court again Friday morning to continue deliberating. It wasn't clear when he would deliver the sentence.
  
Bergdahl faces up to life in prison for desertion and misbehavior before the enemy. In closing arguments, prosecutors cited serious wounds to service members who looked for Bergdahl.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Employees attack, subdue would-be robber armed with box cutter

    Employees attack, subdue would-be robber armed with box cutter

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 12:10 AM EDT2018-07-17 04:10:47 GMT

    TUCSON, Ariz. - A man armed with a box cutter got more than he bargained for when he tried to rob a Tucson, Arizona, restaurant last week.  Security shows the man, identified as 20-year-old Jerry Evans Madril, enter the Mi Nidito restaurant and demand money from employees. But the workers weren't having any of it.  At least six workers attacked Madril.

    >>

    TUCSON, Ariz. - A man armed with a box cutter got more than he bargained for when he tried to rob a Tucson, Arizona, restaurant last week.  Security shows the man, identified as 20-year-old Jerry Evans Madril, enter the Mi Nidito restaurant and demand money from employees. But the workers weren't having any of it.  At least six workers attacked Madril.

    >>
  • California motorcyclist dies in Rathdrum crash

    California motorcyclist dies in Rathdrum crash

    Sunday, July 22 2018 9:41 PM EDT2018-07-23 01:41:46 GMT

    RATHDRUM, Idaho - Idaho State Police responded to a fatal crash involving a California man Sunday afternoon in Rathdrum. Around 2:46 p.m., 68-year-old Jesse Villa of Torrance, Calif., was traveling westbound on Hwy 53 approaching Ramsey Rd. in a Honda motorcycle when 22-year-old Joseph Bitner of Athol, Idaho, turned to go northbound on Ramsey and collided with Villa's motorcycle. She was thrown from the motorcycle and succumbed to her injuries. 

    >>

    RATHDRUM, Idaho - Idaho State Police responded to a fatal crash involving a California man Sunday afternoon in Rathdrum. Around 2:46 p.m., 68-year-old Jesse Villa of Torrance, Calif., was traveling westbound on Hwy 53 approaching Ramsey Rd. in a Honda motorcycle when 22-year-old Joseph Bitner of Athol, Idaho, turned to go northbound on Ramsey and collided with Villa's motorcycle. She was thrown from the motorcycle and succumbed to her injuries. 

    >>
  • Ritz Crackers, Ritz Bits recalled over salmonella concerns

    Monday, July 23 2018 9:04 AM EDT2018-07-23 13:04:26 GMT

    If you're a consumer of Ritz cracker products, check your cupboards! Mondelez, the New Jersey-based company that makes Ritz, has recalled 16 products due to possible salmonella contamination. 

    >>

    If you're a consumer of Ritz cracker products, check your cupboards! Mondelez, the New Jersey-based company that makes Ritz, has recalled 16 products due to possible salmonella contamination.  The products - including Ritz Cheese Cracker Sandwiches and Ritz Bits Cheese - have been recalled because they contain whey powder that could contain salmonella, the company said.  

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Citing Florida law, sheriff won't arrest parking lot shooter

    Citing Florida law, sheriff won't arrest parking lot shooter

    Monday, July 23 2018 12:40 PM EDT2018-07-23 16:40:48 GMT

    CLEARWATER, Fla. - A Florida sheriff says that he will not arrest a man who killed a man during an argument over a parking space. The Tampa Bay Times reports that Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri made the announcement Friday about 47-year-old Michael Drejka.

    >>

    CLEARWATER, Fla. - A Florida sheriff says that he will not arrest a man who killed a man during an argument over a parking space. The Tampa Bay Times reports that Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri made the announcement Friday about 47-year-old Michael Drejka. Drejka shot and killed 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton a day earlier in a convenience store parking lot. 

    >>
  • The Latest: Duck boats exempt from Missouri life jacket law

    The Latest: Duck boats exempt from Missouri life jacket law

    Monday, July 23 2018 11:55 AM EDT2018-07-23 15:55:20 GMT

    BRANSON, Mo. - A Missouri law requires boat passengers ages 7 and younger to wear life jackets whenever they're on the water, but commercial vessels like the duck boat that sank in Table Rock Lake are exempt.    Seventeen people, including three ages 7 or younger, died Thursday when one of the amphibious vehicles sank amid churning waves. The victims were from Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana and Missouri.

    >>

    BRANSON, Mo. - A Missouri law requires boat passengers ages 7 and younger to wear life jackets whenever they're on the water, but commercial vessels like the duck boat that sank in Table Rock Lake are exempt.    Seventeen people, including three ages 7 or younger, died Thursday when one of the amphibious vehicles sank amid churning waves. The victims were from Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana and Missouri.

    >>
  • Infowars host Alex Jones moves to dismiss Sandy Hook lawsuit

    Infowars host Alex Jones moves to dismiss Sandy Hook lawsuit

    Monday, July 23 2018 11:54 AM EDT2018-07-23 15:54:45 GMT

    HARTFORD, Conn. - Right-wing radio host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones is moving to dismiss a defamation lawsuit filed by the families of some of the 26 people killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting. In written arguments filed Friday, Jones' lawyers argue he was acting as a journalist in the tradition of Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein in questioning the official narrative of the Connecticut shooting. 

    >>

    HARTFORD, Conn. - Right-wing radio host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones is moving to dismiss a defamation lawsuit filed by the families of some of the 26 people killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting. In written arguments filed Friday, Jones' lawyers argue he was acting as a journalist in the tradition of Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein in questioning the official narrative of the Connecticut shooting. 

    >>