German nurse serving life sentence for two murders may have actu - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

German nurse serving life sentence for two murders may have actually killed over 100 patients

Posted: Updated:

BERLIN (AP) - German prosecutors say they believe a nurse who is serving a life sentence for two murders may have killed more than 100 patients.
 
Prosecutors and police in Oldenburg said Thursday that they have now completed examinations of patients who died in Niels Hoegel's time as a nurse at two local hospitals and have found a further 16 cases in which he is suspected.
 
In late August, they said they had determined that he might have killed at least another 84 patients beyond the ones for whose murder he is already serving time.
 
Prosecutors have already said that they expect to bring more charges by early 2018 against Hoegel, who gave patients overdoses of heart medication and other drugs because he enjoyed the feeling of being able to resuscitate them.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • John Belmont fire in Mica up to 60% containment

    John Belmont fire in Mica up to 60% containment

    Sunday, July 22 2018 1:13 PM EDT2018-07-22 17:13:07 GMT

    MICA, Wash. - The John Belmont is now 60 percent contained. Crews say the fire reached 50-60 acres, but they have a line around 90 percent of the fire. They expect 3-4 days total for full suppression of the fire. Level 2 and 3 evacuations remain in place through the night into tomorrow morning. Red Cross has set up a shelter for evacuees at Bowdish Middle School in Spokane Valley.

    >>

    MICA, Wash. - The John Belmont is now 60 percent contained. Crews say the fire reached 50-60 acres, but they have a line around 90 percent of the fire. They expect 3-4 days total for full suppression of the fire. Level 2 and 3 evacuations remain in place through the night into tomorrow morning. Red Cross has set up a shelter for evacuees at Bowdish Middle School in Spokane Valley.

    >>
  • 22-year-old Sandpoint man dies in Clayton 395 crash

    22-year-old Sandpoint man dies in Clayton 395 crash

    Saturday, July 21 2018 1:58 AM EDT2018-07-21 05:58:53 GMT

    STEVENS COUNTY, Wash. - Washington State Patrols responded to a fatal crash in Stevens County Friday evening. On SR-395 in Clayton near Mile Post 185, a vehicle crossed the center line and crashed head on with another car, killing the driver. The causing driver who was transported to the hospital is in custody for vehicular homicide. There were no other occupants of either vehicle. 

    >>

    STEVENS COUNTY, Wash. - Washington State Patrols responded to a fatal crash in Stevens County Friday evening. On SR-395 in Clayton near Mile Post 185, a vehicle crossed the center line and crashed head on with another car, killing the driver. The causing driver who was transported to the hospital is in custody for vehicular homicide. There were no other occupants of either vehicle. 

    >>
  • Employees attack, subdue would-be robber armed with box cutter

    Employees attack, subdue would-be robber armed with box cutter

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 12:10 AM EDT2018-07-17 04:10:47 GMT

    TUCSON, Ariz. - A man armed with a box cutter got more than he bargained for when he tried to rob a Tucson, Arizona, restaurant last week.  Security shows the man, identified as 20-year-old Jerry Evans Madril, enter the Mi Nidito restaurant and demand money from employees. But the workers weren't having any of it.  At least six workers attacked Madril.

    >>

    TUCSON, Ariz. - A man armed with a box cutter got more than he bargained for when he tried to rob a Tucson, Arizona, restaurant last week.  Security shows the man, identified as 20-year-old Jerry Evans Madril, enter the Mi Nidito restaurant and demand money from employees. But the workers weren't having any of it.  At least six workers attacked Madril.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Vikings offensive line coach Tony Sparano dies at 56

    Vikings offensive line coach Tony Sparano dies at 56

    Sunday, July 22 2018 4:02 PM EDT2018-07-22 20:02:19 GMT
    NFLNFL

    EAGAN, Minn. (AP) - The Minnesota Vikings say offensive line coach Tony Sparano has died at the age of 56. The Vikings say Sparano died early Sunday but did not give a cause of death. He had been the Vikings' offensive line coach since 2016. Sparano began his NFL coaching career in 1999 and had stints as a head coach with the Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders. He was the Dolphins' head coach from 2008-11 and went 29-32. 

    >>

    EAGAN, Minn. (AP) - The Minnesota Vikings say offensive line coach Tony Sparano has died at the age of 56. The Vikings say Sparano died early Sunday but did not give a cause of death. He had been the Vikings' offensive line coach since 2016. Sparano began his NFL coaching career in 1999 and had stints as a head coach with the Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders. He was the Dolphins' head coach from 2008-11 and went 29-32. 

    >>
  • LA standoff victim identified; supermarket to remain closed

    LA standoff victim identified; supermarket to remain closed

    Sunday, July 22 2018 3:49 PM EDT2018-07-22 19:49:34 GMT
    Family Photo/Google MapsFamily Photo/Google Maps

    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Trader Joe's says a Los Angeles store where a gunman held hostages during a three-hour standoff and an employee died will remain closed for the foreseeable future.    Company spokeswoman Kenya Friend-Daniels said in a statement Sunday that Trader Joe's wants to give their employees "time to process yesterday's events." 

    >>

    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Trader Joe's says a Los Angeles store where a gunman held hostages during a three-hour standoff and an employee died will remain closed for the foreseeable future.    Company spokeswoman Kenya Friend-Daniels said in a statement Sunday that Trader Joe's wants to give their employees "time to process yesterday's events." 

    >>
  • Student sues districts for enabling child pornographer

    Student sues districts for enabling child pornographer

    Sunday, July 22 2018 3:37 PM EDT2018-07-22 19:37:27 GMT

    PROSSER, Wash. (AP) - A student has sued two school districts in south-central Washington, alleging officials knew a former educator engaged in grooming behavior with students yet allowed him to keep working. The Tri-City Herald says the lawsuit names the Prosser and Granger school districts, where Stephen Castilleja worked. Castilleja was sentenced last fall to 27 years for taking pornographic photos and video of children.

    >>

    PROSSER, Wash. (AP) - A student has sued two school districts in south-central Washington, alleging officials knew a former educator engaged in grooming behavior with students yet allowed him to keep working. The Tri-City Herald says the lawsuit names the Prosser and Granger school districts, where Stephen Castilleja worked. Castilleja was sentenced last fall to 27 years for taking pornographic photos and video of children.

    >>