Search continues for possible Tampa serial killer after 4th deat - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Search continues for possible Tampa serial killer after 4th death

Posted: Updated:
Tampa Police are asking the public for help identifying this person of interest in the recent Seminole Heights neighborhood murders in Tampa Florida, Photo Date: 10/23/17 Tampa Police are asking the public for help identifying this person of interest in the recent Seminole Heights neighborhood murders in Tampa Florida, Photo Date: 10/23/17
4th person murdered in Seminole Heights. Linked to the 3 previous murders, Photo Date: 11/14/17 4th person murdered in Seminole Heights. Linked to the 3 previous murders, Photo Date: 11/14/17
(L-R) Monica Hoffa, Anthony Naiboa and Benjamin Mitchell are believed to be victims of the Seminole Heights neighborhood killer in Tampa Bay Florida. And now, a 4th victim has been named as Ronald Felton. (L-R) Monica Hoffa, Anthony Naiboa and Benjamin Mitchell are believed to be victims of the Seminole Heights neighborhood killer in Tampa Bay Florida. And now, a 4th victim has been named as Ronald Felton.

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Tampa Police blockaded a neighborhood and searched with a SWAT team and dogs for a possible serial killer Tuesday after a fourth person was shot dead for no apparent reason.
 
Residents of the Seminole Heights neighborhood reported hearing shots just before 5 a.m. Tuesday. Officers quickly moved in, and found the body of Ronald Felton, 60, who had been walking across the street when a gunman came up behind him and fired, interim Police Chief Brian Dugan said.
 
"Our officers responded within seconds," Dugan said, enabling them to quickly set up a perimeter.
 
"I believe that this person lives in this neighborhood," Dugan added as he spoke with reporters at the scene. "And we need everyone's cooperation; we need everyone to pay attention to what's been going on."
 
Dugan said that until his detectives can determine otherwise, Felton's shooting will be treated as if it's related to last month's 10-day spree where three people were slain. The previous three victims were alone and had gotten off a bus in the neighborhood when they were gunned downed at night. None was robbed.
 
"This has got to stop," Mayor Bob Buckhorn told a news conference on Tuesday. "We will hunt this person down until we find him."
 
Cynthia Murray told The Tampa Bay Times that Felton had been living with her near the shooting scene. She said Felton was an unemployed construction worker who volunteered at the nearby food bank run by a church, which is just feet from where he was shot. She said he would go to the church at 2:30 a.m. to help.
 
"He didn't need to come here every week but he loved it," she said about Felton's volunteer work. She said Felton and his twin brother Reggie were well known in the area.
 
"He was the sweetest person, never any problems," his cousin, Linda Daniels, told the paper.
 
Dugan urged Seminole Heights residents to stay inside and prepare to share with police any potential detail that might be useful as the SWAT team and police dogs cleared properties. Police said the suspect is a thin black man, about 6-feet tall, wearing black clothing and carrying a large handgun. They are asking residents to examine video from any security cameras they have.
 
Seminole Heights is a working-class neighborhood northeast of downtown Tampa that's slowly becoming gentrified. Run-down homes sit next to renovated, historic bungalows, and trendy restaurants have sprung up near auto body shops. Officers were at every street corner around the perimeter, questioning anyone trying to leave.
 
Robert Clark told the Times he was in a nearby Laundromat with his girlfriend when he heard five shots, turned and saw a man run past. He said he went outside and saw Felton's body.
 
After the earlier shootings, police increased patrols in the neighborhood and released surveillance videos of a hooded suspect. In a security video taken moments after 22-year-old Benjamin Mitchell became the first victim on Oct. 9, the suspect is running from the scene.
 
Two days after Mitchell was shot, Monica Hoffa, 32, was gunned down. And on Oct. 19, Anthony Naiboa, 20, was shot after taking the wrong bus home from his new job. Police patrolling nearby heard the gunshots and rushed to the scene to find Naiboa dead.
 
Jamie Rivera, 40, took his two children to school Tuesday and saw the heavy police presence. He turned on the radio and heard about the neighborhood's fourth killing.
 
"We're all panicking," said Rivera, who is a carpenter. "It's kind of scary because they don't have any idea who's doing it."
 
Rivera has changed the routine of his two children, ages 9 and 11.
 
"Normally they do play outside but since this happened, no," he told The Associated Press.
 
He had to go to a neighboring auto store for some parts Tuesday morning, and said he was headed to work. Otherwise, he said, he plans on staying inside.
 
Casimar Naiboa, Anthony Naiboa's father, told the Times that Felton's slaying "is like salt in the wound"
 
"It brings back dark memories," said Naiboa, 50. "I still dream about my son."
 
Police have told him they hope the killer makes a mistake.
 
"But every time he makes a mistake, someone loses their life," Naiboa said.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • John Belmont fire in Mica up to 60% containment

    John Belmont fire in Mica up to 60% containment

    Sunday, July 22 2018 1:13 PM EDT2018-07-22 17:13:07 GMT

    MICA, Wash. - The John Belmont is now 60 percent contained. Crews say the fire reached 50-60 acres, but they have a line around 90 percent of the fire. They expect 3-4 days total for full suppression of the fire. Level 2 and 3 evacuations remain in place through the night into tomorrow morning. Red Cross has set up a shelter for evacuees at Bowdish Middle School in Spokane Valley.

    >>

    MICA, Wash. - The John Belmont is now 60 percent contained. Crews say the fire reached 50-60 acres, but they have a line around 90 percent of the fire. They expect 3-4 days total for full suppression of the fire. Level 2 and 3 evacuations remain in place through the night into tomorrow morning. Red Cross has set up a shelter for evacuees at Bowdish Middle School in Spokane Valley.

    >>
  • 22-year-old Sandpoint man dies in Clayton 395 crash

    22-year-old Sandpoint man dies in Clayton 395 crash

    Saturday, July 21 2018 1:58 AM EDT2018-07-21 05:58:53 GMT

    STEVENS COUNTY, Wash. - Washington State Patrols responded to a fatal crash in Stevens County Friday evening. On SR-395 in Clayton near Mile Post 185, a vehicle crossed the center line and crashed head on with another car, killing the driver. The causing driver who was transported to the hospital is in custody for vehicular homicide. There were no other occupants of either vehicle. 

    >>

    STEVENS COUNTY, Wash. - Washington State Patrols responded to a fatal crash in Stevens County Friday evening. On SR-395 in Clayton near Mile Post 185, a vehicle crossed the center line and crashed head on with another car, killing the driver. The causing driver who was transported to the hospital is in custody for vehicular homicide. There were no other occupants of either vehicle. 

    >>
  • Spokane motorcyclist dies in DUI crash near Reardan

    Spokane motorcyclist dies in DUI crash near Reardan

    Saturday, July 21 2018 1:47 PM EDT2018-07-21 17:47:50 GMT

    REARDAN, Wash. -  A Spokane man died after crashing his motorcycle on Highway 2 near Reardan in a DUI incident Friday night. Gregory Sutton, 35 of Spokane, was traveling westbound on Highway 2 on his Honda motorcycle when he left the roadway and was ejected from the bike, landing in a ditch near Mile Post 262 in Lincoln County.

    >>

    REARDAN, Wash. -  A Spokane man died after crashing his motorcycle on Highway 2 near Reardan in a DUI incident Friday night. Gregory Sutton, 35 of Spokane, was traveling westbound on Highway 2 on his Honda motorcycle when he left the roadway and was ejected from the bike, landing in a ditch near Mile Post 262 in Lincoln County.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Vikings offensive line coach Tony Sparano dies at 56

    Vikings offensive line coach Tony Sparano dies at 56

    Sunday, July 22 2018 4:02 PM EDT2018-07-22 20:02:19 GMT
    NFLNFL

    EAGAN, Minn. (AP) - The Minnesota Vikings say offensive line coach Tony Sparano has died at the age of 56. The Vikings say Sparano died early Sunday but did not give a cause of death. He had been the Vikings' offensive line coach since 2016. Sparano began his NFL coaching career in 1999 and had stints as a head coach with the Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders. He was the Dolphins' head coach from 2008-11 and went 29-32. 

    >>

    EAGAN, Minn. (AP) - The Minnesota Vikings say offensive line coach Tony Sparano has died at the age of 56. The Vikings say Sparano died early Sunday but did not give a cause of death. He had been the Vikings' offensive line coach since 2016. Sparano began his NFL coaching career in 1999 and had stints as a head coach with the Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders. He was the Dolphins' head coach from 2008-11 and went 29-32. 

    >>
  • LA standoff victim identified; supermarket to remain closed

    LA standoff victim identified; supermarket to remain closed

    Sunday, July 22 2018 3:49 PM EDT2018-07-22 19:49:34 GMT
    Family Photo/Google MapsFamily Photo/Google Maps

    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Trader Joe's says a Los Angeles store where a gunman held hostages during a three-hour standoff and an employee died will remain closed for the foreseeable future.    Company spokeswoman Kenya Friend-Daniels said in a statement Sunday that Trader Joe's wants to give their employees "time to process yesterday's events." 

    >>

    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Trader Joe's says a Los Angeles store where a gunman held hostages during a three-hour standoff and an employee died will remain closed for the foreseeable future.    Company spokeswoman Kenya Friend-Daniels said in a statement Sunday that Trader Joe's wants to give their employees "time to process yesterday's events." 

    >>
  • Student sues districts for enabling child pornographer

    Student sues districts for enabling child pornographer

    Sunday, July 22 2018 3:37 PM EDT2018-07-22 19:37:27 GMT

    PROSSER, Wash. (AP) - A student has sued two school districts in south-central Washington, alleging officials knew a former educator engaged in grooming behavior with students yet allowed him to keep working. The Tri-City Herald says the lawsuit names the Prosser and Granger school districts, where Stephen Castilleja worked. Castilleja was sentenced last fall to 27 years for taking pornographic photos and video of children.

    >>

    PROSSER, Wash. (AP) - A student has sued two school districts in south-central Washington, alleging officials knew a former educator engaged in grooming behavior with students yet allowed him to keep working. The Tri-City Herald says the lawsuit names the Prosser and Granger school districts, where Stephen Castilleja worked. Castilleja was sentenced last fall to 27 years for taking pornographic photos and video of children.

    >>