KHQ Investigates: 'A car accident saved my life' - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

KHQ Investigates: 'A car accident saved my life'

Sagle, Idaho -

A North Idaho woman says a car crash wound up saving her life.

During a checkup following her injuries from the wreck, doctors found a cancerous tumor in her neck. While she is grateful to be alive, she believes the tumor was captured in imaging months prior and she wasn’t notified. She hopes sharing her story will inspire you to do a double take on your medical records.

"It was December 18th," Kim Gerber said. "I was leaving home. I live in Sagle, Idaho. I was heading to church."

It's incredible the way life works.

"It was a really bad winter day," she said. "The roads were horrible."

The ordinary trip down I-90 wound up changing her life forever.

"I happened to look over and an SUV was sliding over the median," she said. "They hit the front right corner of my car. The air bags went off. My car was totaled."

The next thing Kim  knew, she was being poked and prodded at the hospital.

"My daughter took me to the emergency room," she said.

Kim was in pain, but knew that was to be expected. She figured the pain, especially in her neck, would ease up, but each day, and then week following the crash it got worse. Much worse.

"I had days when I couldn't use my right arm at all," she said.

When March hit and that piercing neck pain was still roaring out of control, Kim went to the hospital.

"I had been asking them to do an MRI of my neck," she said.

They did and came back with a bombshell.

"You have a tumor in your neck that's on your jugular vein, and this was the clincher, she said it's grown since it was last seen," Kim said.

Kim was baffled. Then an unrelated hospital trip from several months prior came flashing back.

"I had been in the ER in Kootenai Medical in July of 2016 with chest pains," Kim said. "They had done a cat scan, x-rays to rule out a heart attack."

And on one of those images, Kim claims you can see the lymph node at the center of this, later determined to be cancer.

"That's when they first discovered the tumor, they did not tell me," she said.

In fact, after the ER visit for those chest pains, Kim thought she was in perfect health. She took a risk in order to make ends meet.

"I had insurance in 2016, but my rate got raised to $589 a month," she said. "This was before I had cancer of course. I thought I was healthy."

The past few months for Kim have been filled with surgeries, chemo, and wondering how, if images captured her enlarged lymph node months ago, why she didn't learn about this sooner?

"All of my treatment would have been done in 2016," Kim said. "I would have had insurance. The tumor would have been smaller."

She plead her case to a Kootenai Health patient advocate who agreed to pay one of Kim's surgery bills.

"She said because I was such a nice lady and nice to work with, that they wanted to pay one of my bills," Kim said. "She said I'm really sorry but that's all we can do."

Kootenai Health remains adamant, they did nothing wrong, saying in a letter to Kim, in part "because the lymph node was less than 10 mm it was considered normal and "not reportable."

"But mine turned out not be insignificant," Kim said. "It was cancer, it did grow. Had it not been for the car accident, I would have never known."

But Kootenai Health officials say when they took the image, Kim gave them no reason to look anywhere but where she was having pain, her chest.

"There was absolutely no reason to look at her neck," Communications director Kim Anderson said.

"Even though it was included in the images," Hayley asked.

"Correct," said Anderson. "There were no complaints about her neck."

Anderson says medical professionals were able to review their image to verify the lymph node had changed.

"When they went back in time, they were able to look at previous images, which coincidentally captured an image of her neck," she said. "That's when they had a point of comparison and could see something was wrong."

Kim said fighting to pay her bills has been just as draining as fighting for her life.

"It's been very difficult," she said. "The most stressful part of it is the bills."

She's hopeful her story could inspire others to look a little closer.

"I would like the public to know if you go to the ER for any situation, ask," Kim said. "Ask them, is there anything I should know? did you see anything abnormal? Just ask."

And even with some strikes of horrible luck, Kim is instead choosing to focus on the good.

"It's too late for what happened to me, but I'm very grateful to God, as strange as it sounds that I had this car accident," she's aid. "I believe everything does happen for a reason. That's the only thing that for me, makes sense."

Kim now has thousands of dollars in medical bills. If you would like to know more about her journey.

New York State illegally moving convicted sex offenders from prisons into group homes with the developmentally disabled

Thursday, September 20 2018 9:14 AM EDT2018-09-20 13:14:31 GMT
    Three State agencies are involved in placing convicted sex offenders in group homes or hiding this information from the families and the general public>>

Cold Case: The Missing Wedding Guest

Monday, September 24 2018 5:19 PM EDT2018-09-24 21:19:07 GMT

STEVENS COUNTY, Wash. - It's been nearly two years since anyone has seen or heard from Paul Brazeau. He was last seen at his son's wedding. His brokenhearted family reached out to KHQ's Hayley Guenthner with a letter asking for his case to be featured in our Q6 Cold Case series. The day Paul vanished started out so wonderful. "It was a happy day," said Paul's aunt Georgine Glatt.

Multiple fires break out west of Spokane along I-90

Monday, September 24 2018 4:14 PM EDT2018-09-24 20:14:44 GMT
    PHOTO: Brian CrowPHOTO: Brian Crow

SPOKANE, Wash. - Multiple fire crews from Spokane County and the Department of Natural Resources are working to mop up a series of fires that broke out along Interstate 90 west of Spokane. Crews on scene tell us that while they don't have an exact count, there were at least 3 different fires burning, all about 5-acres in size, along I-90 between exit 272 and 277.

GOP lawmaker declines to resign, won't serve another term

Tuesday, September 25 2018 12:48 AM EDT2018-09-25 04:48:39 GMT

YAKIMA, Wash. (AP) - Despite Republican leaders calling on Washington lawmaker Rep. Matt Manweller to resign in the wake of new sexual misconduct allegations, Manweller says he will finish his term but will resign if re-elected.    The Yakima Herald-Republic reports Manweller said in a message Monday that it's important he's re-elected so the seat can be filled with another Republican when he resigns.

A bag for a bag: students tackle social stigma to fight food insecurity

Tuesday, September 25 2018 12:28 AM EDT2018-09-25 04:28:21 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - A problem within a solution – it’s a phrase so oxymoronic that it almost doesn’t make sense, but it’s crystal clear for a specific group of students at Lewis and Clark High School.

Rosenstein still has his job -- at least till Trump showdown

Tuesday, September 25 2018 12:00 AM EDT2018-09-25 04:00:26 GMT
    Photo: PBSPhoto: PBS
    Photo: PBSPhoto: PBS

WASHINGTON (AP) - After a long weekend spent wondering if he should resign or would be fired, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein still has his job — for now. President Donald Trump gave Rosenstein a three-day reprieve pending their face-to-face White House showdown Thursday....