Two Colorado doctors claim baby boy fatally overdosed on marijua - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Two Colorado doctors claim baby boy fatally overdosed on marijuana

Posted: Updated:
DENVER -

Two doctors from Colorado claim that their patient, a baby boy, died of an overdose on marijuana.

The case in question happened in 2015 the second year of recreational marijuana sales in Colorado. An 11-month-old boy came into the ER after a seizure, barely conscious.

Doctors had to insert a breathing tube into the baby, but his heart began to fail.

"The kid never really got better, and just one thing led to another and the kid ended up with a heart stopped," said Dr. Chris Hoyte. "The kid stopped breathing and died."

Dr. Hoyte was on duty at the Regional Poison Control Center in Denver that day and was called to help. He and another doctor at the center set out to explain why the baby died when the boy's blood and urine tested positive for marijuana.

"We just wanted to make sure that we're not going to call this a marijuana-related fatality if there was something else that we could point at. And we looked and looked and couldn't find it."

Which led the doctors to come to what in scientific speak amounts to a very bold claim: 

"As of this writing, this is the first reported pediatric death associated with cannabis exposure," Dr. Hoyte said. 

"I'm gonna have to call BS on this one," said Dr. Noah Kaufman

Dr. Noah Kaufman is an ER specialist who reviewed the report published in a medical journal earlier this year to give us a second opinion.

"That statement is too much," Dr. Kaufman said. "That is too much as far as I'm concerned because that is saying confidently that this is the first case... and I still disagree with that."

To understand the controversy you need to know exactly how this boy died.

The condition that killed him is not in dispute. The autopsy found he had Myocarditis, an inflammation of his whole heart muscle which pushed into the sac around the heart.

"There's fluid that builds up on the inside of that sac. Sometimes it doesn't allow the heart to fully expand and beat like it's supposed to normally," Dr. Hoyte told KUSA.

Doctors know Myocarditis can be caused by drugs, but more commonly it's caused by an infection.

(sot: dr. Chris hoyte - rocky mountain poison and drug center)
"We thought it was more likely that it was something else but we tested a lot of things, even things that are very rare to find in kids, and we found none of those things on this kid," Dr. Hoyte said. "The only thing that we found was a high concentration of THC in this kid's urine and ended up in this kid's blood also."

One thing all of the doctors agreed on: If you keep marijuana products in the house, keep them out of the reach of kids.

It can make kids sick, but sick enough to die?  

"We may never know really," Dr. Kaufman said. 

New restrictions on edibles went into effect last month in Colorado with the aim of preventing kids from accidentally eating them. They cannot look like an existing candy product or be made to look like an animal, person or fruit.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 6-year-old Pullman boy dies after bike crash

    6-year-old Pullman boy dies after bike crash

    Monday, July 16 2018 5:58 PM EDT2018-07-16 21:58:29 GMT
    Police find suspicious devicePolice find suspicious device

    PULLMAN, Wash. - Pullman Police say a 6-year-old boy has passed away due to injuries suffered in a bicycle crash on Sunday.  Family says Denny Curran died a 6:30 a.m. Monday. He was hospitalized following a crash near Short Street and Parr Drive the day before. Pullman Police confirmed the boy passed away in a Facebook post.

    >>

    PULLMAN, Wash. - Pullman Police say a 6-year-old boy has passed away due to injuries suffered in a bicycle crash on Sunday.  Family says Denny Curran died a 6:30 a.m. Monday. He was hospitalized following a crash near Short Street and Parr Drive the day before. Pullman Police confirmed the boy passed away in a Facebook post.

    >>
  • Man who was hitting woman dies after witnesses intervene

    Man who was hitting woman dies after witnesses intervene

    Monday, July 16 2018 6:58 PM EDT2018-07-16 22:58:35 GMT

    YAKIMA, Wash. (AP) - Police say a man who was assaulting a woman in Yakima is dead after he was struck with a baton or baseball bat as witnesses intervened.    Authorities say the fight happened late Sunday night outside the Connections Transitional Apartments. Officers arrived to find a 57-year-old man who lived at the complex sitting outside with a head injury. He died at a hospital.

    >>

    YAKIMA, Wash. (AP) - Police say a man who was assaulting a woman in Yakima is dead after he was struck with a baton or baseball bat as witnesses intervened.    Authorities say the fight happened late Sunday night outside the Connections Transitional Apartments. Officers arrived to find a 57-year-old man who lived at the complex sitting outside with a head injury. He died at a hospital.

    >>
  • Spokane Valley massage parlor under investigation for sex trafficking

    Spokane Valley massage parlor under investigation for sex trafficking

    Monday, July 16 2018 9:43 PM EDT2018-07-17 01:43:51 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - The Washington State Patrol is investigating a Spokane Valley massage parlor for sex trafficking and prostitution. According to court documents, several men contacted authorities about the parlor, Space Oil Massage, and told them that the women who worked there asked them in private to call 911 because they were being forced to perform sex acts against their will.

    >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - The Washington State Patrol is investigating a Spokane Valley massage parlor for sex trafficking and prostitution. According to court documents, several men contacted authorities about the parlor, Space Oil Massage, and told them that the women who worked there asked them in private to call 911 because they were being forced to perform sex acts against their will.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Texas woman accused of biting, swallowing part of another woman's nose

    Texas woman accused of biting, swallowing part of another woman's nose

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 1:20 PM EDT2018-07-17 17:20:56 GMT

    A woman is accused of biting off and swallowing part of another woman's nose after being asked to leave the victim's home in Southeast Texas.    Station KTRK-TV reports that 41-year-old Jessica Collins of Conroe, Texas, has been arrested and charged with assault-bodily injury in the July 11 attack.    The victim says she went out drinking with her neighbor and Collins then all three returned to her home. Collins demanded more cigarettes and alcohol. 

    >>

    A woman is accused of biting off and swallowing part of another woman's nose after being asked to leave the victim's home in Southeast Texas.    Station KTRK-TV reports that 41-year-old Jessica Collins of Conroe, Texas, has been arrested and charged with assault-bodily injury in the July 11 attack.    The victim says she went out drinking with her neighbor and Collins then all three returned to her home. Collins demanded more cigarettes and alcohol. 

    >>
  • Florida mom blames teen's death on confusing packaging for peanut cookies

    Florida mom blames teen's death on confusing packaging for peanut cookies

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 1:05 PM EDT2018-07-17 17:05:08 GMT

    A Florida mother blames the death of her 15-year-old daughter on what she calls confusing packaging for Reese's Chips Ahoy cookies.    Kelli Travers-Stafford says her daughter Alexi mistakenly ate one of the cookies at a friend's house despite her peanut allergy, because the top of the familiar red packaging was peeled back, hiding the Reese's label.  

    >>

    A Florida mother blames the death of her 15-year-old daughter on what she calls confusing packaging for Reese's Chips Ahoy cookies.    Kelli Travers-Stafford says her daughter Alexi mistakenly ate one of the cookies at a friend's house despite her peanut allergy, because the top of the familiar red packaging was peeled back, hiding the Reese's label.  

    >>
  • New Hampshire woman suffers head injuries after bear encounter inside her home

    New Hampshire woman suffers head injuries after bear encounter inside her home

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 12:32 PM EDT2018-07-17 16:32:26 GMT

    New Hampshire's Fish and Game Department says a 71-year-old woman suffered serious head injuries from an encounter with a bear in her home.    The department says the bear somehow got inside the woman's home about 1:15 a.m. Tuesday in Groton, a rural community in the central part of the state. The woman, who uses a wheelchair, was hospitalized. Authorities haven't been able to talk to her yet.   

    >>

    New Hampshire's Fish and Game Department says a 71-year-old woman suffered serious head injuries from an encounter with a bear in her home.    The department says the bear somehow got inside the woman's home about 1:15 a.m. Tuesday in Groton, a rural community in the central part of the state. The woman, who uses a wheelchair, was hospitalized. Authorities haven't been able to talk to her yet.   

    >>