Garrison Keillor says he was fired by Minnesota Public Radio ove - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Garrison Keillor says he was fired by Minnesota Public Radio over allegations of inappropriate behavior

Posted: Updated:
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. -

Minnesota Public Radio is telling members it was "the right thing to do" to fire Garrison Keillor.
  
MPR depends heavily on member support. It sent note to supporters after Wednesday's firing was announced, saying the organization appreciates Keillor's contributions to the network "and to all of public radio."
  
The statement was signed by MPR President Jon McTaggart. It says the firing was necessary "to continue to earn your trust."
  
Neither MPR nor Keillor has released details about the allegation. MPR says it is a single allegation last month from a person who worked with Keillor while he was producing "A Prairie Home Companion."
  
Keillor retired from the show last year.
  
___
  
12:15 p.m.
  
Garrison Keillor says he's been fired by Minnesota Public Radio over a story that is "more complicated" than the version his employer heard.
  
MPR confirmed Wednesday that it fired Keillor after he was accused of "inappropriate behavior" last month by a person who had worked with him.
  
Neither MPR nor Keillor has given any details about the allegation. MPR says it's still investigating but currently has no other allegations against Keillor.
  
He retired last year as host of his signature "A Prairie Home Companion" radio show, but had continued working with MPR on other projects.
  
Keillor says he's deeply grateful for his years on the radio show. He says he's 75 and doesn't "have any interest in arguing about this."
  
___
  
11:50 a.m.
  
Minnesota Public Radio has confirmed it fired Garrison Keillor after he was accused of inappropriate behavior.
  
MPR says the allegation came last month from a person who worked with Keillor. MPR gave no details, but said it has no other similar allegations involving other staff.
  
MPR says an investigation is ongoing.
  
Keillor first announced his firing in an email to The Associated Press on Wednesday. He says he was fired over "a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version MPR heard." But he didn't provide any details.
  
MPR says it will no longer rebroadcast any Keillor-hosted editions of "A Prairie Home Companion." Keillor retired from the show last year. MPR also says it will change the name of the show, which is now hosted by Chris Thile.
  
___
  
11:22 a.m.
  
Garrison Keillor, the former host of "A Prairie Home Companion," says he's been fired by Minnesota Public Radio over allegations of improper behavior.
  
Keillor told The Associated Press of his firing in an email. In a follow-up statement, he says he was fired over "a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version MPR heard."
  
He didn't give details of the allegation. Minnesota Public Radio didn't immediately respond to messages.
  
Keillor retired last year from his longtime radio show, but still produced "The Writer's Almanac" for syndication.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Employees attack, subdue would-be robber armed with box cutter

    Employees attack, subdue would-be robber armed with box cutter

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 12:10 AM EDT2018-07-17 04:10:47 GMT

    TUCSON, Ariz. - A man armed with a box cutter got more than he bargained for when he tried to rob a Tucson, Arizona, restaurant last week.  Security shows the man, identified as 20-year-old Jerry Evans Madril, enter the Mi Nidito restaurant and demand money from employees. But the workers weren't having any of it.  At least six workers attacked Madril.

    >>

    TUCSON, Ariz. - A man armed with a box cutter got more than he bargained for when he tried to rob a Tucson, Arizona, restaurant last week.  Security shows the man, identified as 20-year-old Jerry Evans Madril, enter the Mi Nidito restaurant and demand money from employees. But the workers weren't having any of it.  At least six workers attacked Madril.

    >>
  • California motorcyclist dies in Rathdrum crash

    California motorcyclist dies in Rathdrum crash

    Sunday, July 22 2018 9:41 PM EDT2018-07-23 01:41:46 GMT

    RATHDRUM, Idaho - Idaho State Police responded to a fatal crash involving a California man Sunday afternoon in Rathdrum. Around 2:46 p.m., 68-year-old Jesse Villa of Torrance, Calif., was traveling westbound on Hwy 53 approaching Ramsey Rd. in a Honda motorcycle when 22-year-old Joseph Bitner of Athol, Idaho, turned to go northbound on Ramsey and collided with Villa's motorcycle. She was thrown from the motorcycle and succumbed to her injuries. 

    >>

    RATHDRUM, Idaho - Idaho State Police responded to a fatal crash involving a California man Sunday afternoon in Rathdrum. Around 2:46 p.m., 68-year-old Jesse Villa of Torrance, Calif., was traveling westbound on Hwy 53 approaching Ramsey Rd. in a Honda motorcycle when 22-year-old Joseph Bitner of Athol, Idaho, turned to go northbound on Ramsey and collided with Villa's motorcycle. She was thrown from the motorcycle and succumbed to her injuries. 

    >>
  • Ritz Crackers, Ritz Bits recalled over salmonella concerns

    Monday, July 23 2018 9:04 AM EDT2018-07-23 13:04:26 GMT

    If you're a consumer of Ritz cracker products, check your cupboards! Mondelez, the New Jersey-based company that makes Ritz, has recalled 16 products due to possible salmonella contamination. 

    >>

    If you're a consumer of Ritz cracker products, check your cupboards! Mondelez, the New Jersey-based company that makes Ritz, has recalled 16 products due to possible salmonella contamination.  The products - including Ritz Cheese Cracker Sandwiches and Ritz Bits Cheese - have been recalled because they contain whey powder that could contain salmonella, the company said.  

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Citing Florida law, sheriff won't arrest parking lot shooter

    Citing Florida law, sheriff won't arrest parking lot shooter

    Monday, July 23 2018 12:40 PM EDT2018-07-23 16:40:48 GMT

    CLEARWATER, Fla. - A Florida sheriff says that he will not arrest a man who killed a man during an argument over a parking space. The Tampa Bay Times reports that Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri made the announcement Friday about 47-year-old Michael Drejka.

    >>

    CLEARWATER, Fla. - A Florida sheriff says that he will not arrest a man who killed a man during an argument over a parking space. The Tampa Bay Times reports that Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri made the announcement Friday about 47-year-old Michael Drejka. Drejka shot and killed 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton a day earlier in a convenience store parking lot. 

    >>
  • The Latest: Duck boats exempt from Missouri life jacket law

    The Latest: Duck boats exempt from Missouri life jacket law

    Monday, July 23 2018 11:55 AM EDT2018-07-23 15:55:20 GMT

    BRANSON, Mo. - A Missouri law requires boat passengers ages 7 and younger to wear life jackets whenever they're on the water, but commercial vessels like the duck boat that sank in Table Rock Lake are exempt.    Seventeen people, including three ages 7 or younger, died Thursday when one of the amphibious vehicles sank amid churning waves. The victims were from Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana and Missouri.

    >>

    BRANSON, Mo. - A Missouri law requires boat passengers ages 7 and younger to wear life jackets whenever they're on the water, but commercial vessels like the duck boat that sank in Table Rock Lake are exempt.    Seventeen people, including three ages 7 or younger, died Thursday when one of the amphibious vehicles sank amid churning waves. The victims were from Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana and Missouri.

    >>
  • Infowars host Alex Jones moves to dismiss Sandy Hook lawsuit

    Infowars host Alex Jones moves to dismiss Sandy Hook lawsuit

    Monday, July 23 2018 11:54 AM EDT2018-07-23 15:54:45 GMT

    HARTFORD, Conn. - Right-wing radio host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones is moving to dismiss a defamation lawsuit filed by the families of some of the 26 people killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting. In written arguments filed Friday, Jones' lawyers argue he was acting as a journalist in the tradition of Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein in questioning the official narrative of the Connecticut shooting. 

    >>

    HARTFORD, Conn. - Right-wing radio host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones is moving to dismiss a defamation lawsuit filed by the families of some of the 26 people killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting. In written arguments filed Friday, Jones' lawyers argue he was acting as a journalist in the tradition of Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein in questioning the official narrative of the Connecticut shooting. 

    >>