The Latest: President Trump says Tillerson ouster is 'fake news' - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

The Latest: President Trump says Tillerson ouster is 'fake news'

Posted: Updated:
WASHINGTON -

 (AP) - The Latest on the White House considering a plan to replace Secretary of State Rex Tillerson (all times local):
  
8 p.m.
  
President Donald Trump is denying he wants to oust Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, calling reports to that effect "fake news," as his top diplomat brushes off speculation that he has lost the confidence of the White House.
  
Tillerson went about his normal schedule of diplomatic activities Friday. He told reporters at the State Department that speculation he was on his way out was "laughable."
  
Senior White House officials have told reporters that a plan has been devised to push Tillerson out and replace him with CIA chief Mike Pompeo. Immediately after reports of the plan emerged, Trump offered only tepid support for Tillerson.
  
On Friday, though, trump insisted, "He's not leaving and while we disagree on certain subjects ... we work well together and America is highly respected again!"
  
___
  
3:15 p.m.
  
President Donald Trump says media speculation that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will leave his job soon is "fake news."
  
Trump is responding on Twitter to widespread reports attributed to White House officials describing a plan to oust Tillerson and replace him with CIA Director Mike Pompeo.
  
Trump says it's incorrect that he "fired Rex Tillerson" or that the secretary will be leaving soon. He says Tillerson is "not leaving."
  
The president says he and Tillerson disagree on some subjects but adds that "I call the shots." Trump says he and Tillerson "work well together" and that the U.S. is once again "highly respected."
  
Trump's tweet links to a photograph of Tillerson being sworn into office earlier this year in the Oval Office while Trump and Vice President Mike Pence look on.
  
___
  
10:10 a.m.
  
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is dismissing as "laughable" reports that the White House is trying to get rid of him.
  
Tillerson was asked about the reports during a photo-op with the visiting Libyan prime minister. Multiple officials say White House is considering a plan to replace him with CIA Director Mike Pompeo. Tillerson said twice, "It's laughable," but made no other comments to journalists before leaving the room.
  
The State Department has said Tillerson plans to remain on the job. He is scheduled to leave Monday on an official, four-country trip to Europe.
  
___
  
4 a.m.
  
Senior U.S. officials say President Donald Trump is considering replacing Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to lead off a realignment of his national security team.
  
The officials say such a plan calls for Tillerson to be replaced by the director of the CIA, Mike Pompeo, who would then be replaced by Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas. The officials spoke about the possible changes on condition of anonymity.
  
Publicly, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders didn't confirm or deny that Trump was considering replacing Tillerson. Trump himself wouldn't directly answer when asked if he wanted Tillerson to stay on the job.
  
Tillerson left Exxon Mobil as CEO to join the administration. Replacing the understated former oil man could significantly shift the tone and direction of Trump's foreign policy.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

12/1/2017 5:06:56 PM (GMT -8:00)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Police impersonator attempts to pull over Spokane woman

    Police impersonator attempts to pull over Spokane woman

    Monday, September 17 2018 8:45 PM EDT2018-09-18 00:45:37 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - "He told me to pull over, and my jaw just dropped," a Spokane woman, who says a fake police officer tried to pull her over, doesn't want to be named. In fear, this could happen again. "It really scared me and kind of threw me off that night. I don't even want to drive by myself anymore," she said. She tells me that she was driving around North Spokane at night on her way home from work. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - "He told me to pull over, and my jaw just dropped," a Spokane woman, who says a fake police officer tried to pull her over, doesn't want to be named. In fear, this could happen again. "It really scared me and kind of threw me off that night. I don't even want to drive by myself anymore," she said. She tells me that she was driving around North Spokane at night on her way home from work. 

    >>
  • Report: Olympia woman refuses to pull over for WSP trooper because she drives a Prius

    Report: Olympia woman refuses to pull over for WSP trooper because she drives a Prius

    Monday, September 17 2018 1:45 PM EDT2018-09-17 17:45:44 GMT

    MARYSVILLE, Wash. - An Olympia woman wouldn't pull over for a Washington State Patrol trooper because she drives a Prius, according to an arrest report.

    >>

    MARYSVILLE, Wash. - An Olympia woman wouldn't pull over for a Washington State Patrol trooper because she drives a Prius, according to an arrest report.

    >>
  • Police: Man killed by Cheney officers planned death

    Police: Man killed by Cheney officers planned death

    Tuesday, September 18 2018 1:27 AM EDT2018-09-18 05:27:11 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - Court documents indicate that a man who was killed by Cheney police officers earlier this month had reported himself to police the evening of the shooting. The Spokesman-Review reports 40-year-old Steve Anderson was shot by three officers in a grocery store parking lot after police say he was wielding a knife and moved toward officers. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - Court documents indicate that a man who was killed by Cheney police officers earlier this month had reported himself to police the evening of the shooting. The Spokesman-Review reports 40-year-old Steve Anderson was shot by three officers in a grocery store parking lot after police say he was wielding a knife and moved toward officers. 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • WATCH: Volunteer rescues dog tied to semi-truck pulling out of gas station

    WATCH: Volunteer rescues dog tied to semi-truck pulling out of gas station

    Tuesday, September 18 2018 2:35 PM EDT2018-09-18 18:35:45 GMT

    Talk about being at the right place at the right time. A volunteer with an Arizona Sheriff's Office helps rescue a dog attached to a moving semi-truck. The Yavapai County "volunteer in protection" officer pulling out of a gas station during his break at the same time tractor trailer heads up the interstate with forgotten cargo.  The patrol notices the dog running as the pet's leash remains attached to the rig.  

    >>

    Talk about being at the right place at the right time. A volunteer with an Arizona Sheriff's Office helps rescue a dog attached to a moving semi-truck. The Yavapai County "volunteer in protection" officer pulling out of a gas station during his break at the same time tractor trailer heads up the interstate with forgotten cargo.  The patrol notices the dog running as the pet's leash remains attached to the rig.  

    >>
  • Cop, firefighter among 24 charged in child luring sting in New Jersey

    Cop, firefighter among 24 charged in child luring sting in New Jersey

    Tuesday, September 18 2018 1:42 PM EDT2018-09-18 17:42:14 GMT

    New Jersey authorities say a police officer and a firefighter were among 24 men who tried to lure teenagers for sexual activity.    Attorney General Gurbir Grewal says the men charged in the statewide sting used social media and chat apps to communicate with people they thought were teenage boys and girls. But they were actually talking with undercover officers.   

    >>

    New Jersey authorities say a police officer and a firefighter were among 24 men who tried to lure teenagers for sexual activity.    Attorney General Gurbir Grewal says the men charged in the statewide sting used social media and chat apps to communicate with people they thought were teenage boys and girls. But they were actually talking with undercover officers.   

    >>
  • Middle schoolers hospitalized after being exposed to drugs on the playground in California

    Middle schoolers hospitalized after being exposed to drugs on the playground in California

    Tuesday, September 18 2018 1:34 PM EDT2018-09-18 17:34:18 GMT

    Police say a 13-year-old boy brought two balloons filled with cocaine to his school in Terra Bella, California.  Two students found the balloons and immediately notified teachers once seeing they contained a white powdery substance. Police responded to the scene determining the balloons were filled with cocaine.  A total of 13 kids were evaluated for exposure to the drug.  

    >>

    Police say a 13-year-old boy brought two balloons filled with cocaine to his school in Terra Bella, California.  Two students found the balloons and immediately notified teachers once seeing they contained a white powdery substance. Police responded to the scene determining the balloons were filled with cocaine.  A total of 13 kids were evaluated for exposure to the drug.  

    >>