Racial slurs lead to vicious assault in downtown Spokane - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Racial slurs lead to vicious assault in downtown Spokane

A downtown bar manager is recovering after a vicious assault that occurred last Tuesday. He said it all started when he tried to remove two customers after they were spewing racial slurs.

"Right away, when they came in, they were dropping the N word," victim Jade Cardwell said. "We have a black bar tender we just employed. We weren't having it. We wanted them gone."

Cardwell said when he told them to leave, he was then the target of their derogatory, hateful words.

"I have a man bun, he smacked my man bun," victim Jade Cardwell said. "He wanted to challenge me outside. Normally when that happens, we allowed them to go outside and then try to shut the door behind them."

But this time, the two suspects pulled Cardwell by the shirt outside with them. He said as the manager of Borracho's that night, he was just trying to get them out without any future insults or problems.

"One of them ripped my hair out, ripped my shirt," he said. "It escalated over toward their car."

Cardwell said that's when one of the men pulled out a knife. He was also hit so hard in the face, his nose was broken. He said another one of his employees was hit too.

"I'm going in for surgery today," he said. "They have to put my  naval cavity back together."

Spokane Police did come to the scene, but did not catch the suspects. Cardwell said they fled in a charcoal colored dodge pickup with Idaho plates, possibly out of Shoshone County. He is also giving officers pictures of the suspects from their security cameras.

He said the worst part of the experience was knowing there is hate like that in our community.

"It's the language they used that really bothers me," he said.

A pet translator could be available in the next 10 years

Tuesday, January 16 2018 12:24 AM EST2018-01-16 05:24:08 GMT

What's the first thing you would do if you had a pet translator and you could understand your dog or cat? I'd probably immediately let my cat know how sorry I am for stepping on her tail all those times. Recent advances in artificial intelligence and machine learning suggest the dream of communicating with your pets could become a reality.

Parents arrested after 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, discovered held captive in California home

Tuesday, January 16 2018 2:09 AM EST2018-01-16 07:09:07 GMT

PERRIS, California - Two parents are being held on $9 million bail each after a horrific discovery at a home in Perris, California Sunday.  The Riverside County Sheriff's Department says a 17-year-old girl escaped from her house in the 100 block of Muir Woods Road, in Perris and managed to call 911 from a cell phone she found inside the house.

Intoxicated driver ditches stolen car after crashing into 6 vehicles downtown

Monday, January 15 2018 8:25 PM EST2018-01-16 01:25:56 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police responded to downtown Spokane Monday afternoon for a reported crash. The crash involved several vehicles and a drunk man taking off on foot, leaving his stolen vehicle behind. It happened around 1 p.m. Officers responded to the area of Main and Lincoln for a crash. As officers started to arrive in the area, they learned that the man who caused the crash was leaving the scene on foot.

Brother of Spokane Valley man who drove into Hayden Lake speaks

Tuesday, January 16 2018 9:59 PM EST2018-01-17 02:59:29 GMT

HAYDEN, Idaho - He was a brother, son, father and loved by many. 34-year-old Christopher Lancaster lost his life tragically after crashing his car into Hayden Lake over the weekend. Now his family wants his memory to live on. Chris' brother, Dustin, say Chris had just gotten a new IT job on Friday. Now he leaves behind two sons.

Potholes damage your car? You can file a claim but you probably won’t collect

Tuesday, January 16 2018 9:21 PM EST2018-01-17 02:21:32 GMT

SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. - Brenna Meredith described the feeling like being in a car accident. “I couldn’t avoid it and my car just thumped on the ground,” said Meredith. “And I was like oh my gosh that’s not good.” Meredith wasn’t in a car accident, she ran over a massive pothole on Regal St. near 57th Ave. “I broke my rim, I broke a piece of my bumper off, all the air was instantly gone out of my tire,”

New California? Longshot bid would split state in 2

Tuesday, January 16 2018 9:12 PM EST2018-01-17 02:12:10 GMT

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A fresh effort is underway to split California into multiple states, one including its coastal cities and the other its rural and inland areas.    "New California" is just the latest proposal to divvy up the nation's most populous state. But like efforts before it, it's highly unlikely to gain significant traction.