Trump seeks $18 billion to extend border wall over 10 years - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Trump seeks $18 billion to extend border wall over 10 years

Posted: Updated:
One proposed border wall prototype One proposed border wall prototype
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -

The Trump administration has proposed spending $18 billion over 10 years to significantly extend the border wall with Mexico, providing one of its most detailed blueprints of how the president hopes to carry out a signature campaign pledge.

The proposal by Customs and Border Protection calls for 316 miles (505 kilometers) of additional barrier by September 2027, bringing total coverage to 970 miles (1,552 kilometers), or nearly half the border, according to a U.S. official with direct knowledge of the matter.

It also calls for 407 miles (651 kilometers) of replacement or secondary fencing, said the official, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the plan has not been made public.

Trump has promised “a big, beautiful wall” with Mexico as a centerpiece of his presidency but offered few details of where it would be built, when and at what cost. His administration asked for $1.6 billion this year to build or replace 74 miles (118 kilometers) of fencing in Texas and California, and officials have said they also will seek $1.6 billion next year.

The 10-year plan, first reported by The Wall Street Journal, resulted from discussions with senators who asked the agency what it would take to secure the border, the official said.

It comes as the administration intensifies negotiations in Congress on a package that may include granting legal status to about 800,000 people who were temporarily shielded from deportation under an Obama-era program, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

Trump said last year that he was ending DACA but gave Congress until March to deliver a legislative fix.

The plan on border security came in response to a request by U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake, said Jason Samuels, a spokesman for the Arizona Republican.

An administration official confirmed the document was prepared at the request of congressional negotiators and said funding for the wall and other security measures must be part of any legislative package on immigration. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the plan has not been made public.

Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the wall would be “first and foremost” in any package that includes new protections for DACA recipients. She also said the administration wanted to close “loopholes” on issues that include handling asylum claims and local police working with immigration authorities.

Nielsen called the $3.2 billion requests for fencing during the administration’s first two years a down payment.

“This is not going to get us the whole wall we need, but it’s a start,” she said.

Mexico has steadfastly rejected Trump’s demand that it pay for the wall and few doubt that U.S. taxpayers will foot the bill if the wall is built.

The Customs and Border Protection document calls for a total of $33 billion in new border spending, including $18 billion for the wall, $5.7 billion for technology gear, $1 billion for road construction and maintenance and $8.5 billion for 5,000 new Border Patrol agents, 2,500 border inspectors and other personnel, the U.S. official said.

The document doesn’t specify where the extended wall should be built.

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Vehicle goes over embankment at High Drive & 33rd, one person dead

    Vehicle goes over embankment at High Drive & 33rd, one person dead

    Monday, October 22 2018 9:19 PM EDT2018-10-23 01:19:10 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police say one person has died after driving over the embankment near High Drive and 33rd.  The victim hasn't been identified.  Crews will be working in the area for the foreseeable future so avoid the area if you can.  The cause of the crash is under investigation. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police say one person has died after driving over the embankment near High Drive and 33rd.  The victim hasn't been identified.  Crews will be working in the area for the foreseeable future so avoid the area if you can.  The cause of the crash is under investigation. 

    >>
  • One man dead, another arrested after shooting near Post Falls

    One man dead, another arrested after shooting near Post Falls

    Sunday, October 21 2018 10:57 AM EDT2018-10-21 14:57:39 GMT

    POST FALLS, Idaho - Kootenai County Deputies arrested a man for involuntary manslaughter after they say he shot and killed another man Saturday evening near Post Falls. Deputies responded to reports of a shooting on Gallatin Way near Post Falls just before 7 pm. Deputies and medical personnel arrived and found a man, identified as Tyler S. Liles, with a single gunshot wound.

    >>

    POST FALLS, Idaho - Kootenai County Deputies arrested a man for involuntary manslaughter after they say he shot and killed another man Saturday evening near Post Falls. Deputies responded to reports of a shooting on Gallatin Way near Post Falls just before 7 pm. Deputies and medical personnel arrived and found a man, identified as Tyler S. Liles, with a single gunshot wound.

    >>
  • PHOTOS: Family treasures stolen from Spokane family

    PHOTOS: Family treasures stolen from Spokane family

    Monday, October 22 2018 8:33 AM EDT2018-10-22 12:33:01 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies continue to investigate a break-in that happened Tuesday morning at approximately 8:08 AM. The victims say precious family treasures were stolen. "I stayed home for a few days after it happened," said Mandie Snyder.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies continue to investigate a break-in that happened Tuesday morning at approximately 8:08 AM. The victims say precious family treasures were stolen. "I stayed home for a few days after it happened," said Mandie Snyder. "I wanted to stay here. I wanted to stay here and protect my house." Snyder says their Ring doorbell camera captured a man lurking around their property and then kicking their front door several times.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Vehicle goes over embankment at High Drive & 33rd, one person dead

    Vehicle goes over embankment at High Drive & 33rd, one person dead

    Monday, October 22 2018 9:19 PM EDT2018-10-23 01:19:10 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police say one person has died after driving over the embankment near High Drive and 33rd.  The victim hasn't been identified.  Crews will be working in the area for the foreseeable future so avoid the area if you can.  The cause of the crash is under investigation. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police say one person has died after driving over the embankment near High Drive and 33rd.  The victim hasn't been identified.  Crews will be working in the area for the foreseeable future so avoid the area if you can.  The cause of the crash is under investigation. 

    >>
  • City of Spokane prepared for the return of snow

    City of Spokane prepared for the return of snow

    Monday, October 22 2018 9:12 PM EDT2018-10-23 01:12:19 GMT
    Photo: City of Spokane TwitterPhoto: City of Spokane Twitter

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Today, the City of Spokane announced it is is getting ready for the inevitable return of winter. Even if it's just an inch or two of snow, the city promises they will have crews plowing the streets, and it can be a 24/7 operation. "I had to work 26 straight days. Most of the department worked similarly," Mark O-Donnell said. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Today, the City of Spokane announced it is is getting ready for the inevitable return of winter. Even if it's just an inch or two of snow, the city promises they will have crews plowing the streets, and it can be a 24/7 operation. "I had to work 26 straight days. Most of the department worked similarly," Mark O-Donnell said. 

    >>
  • Supreme Court: Ross can't be questioned in census suit

    Supreme Court: Ross can't be questioned in census suit

    Monday, October 22 2018 8:43 PM EDT2018-10-23 00:43:44 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court says Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross does not have to give out-of-court testimony about his decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census. The order Monday comes in response to lawsuits filed by more than a dozen states and big cities, among others, that challenge whether the citizenship question can be legally included.  

    >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court says Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross does not have to give out-of-court testimony about his decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census. The order Monday comes in response to lawsuits filed by more than a dozen states and big cities, among others, that challenge whether the citizenship question can be legally included.  

    >>