Mead woman shares her story of being diagnosed with MRKH - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Mead woman shares her story of being diagnosed with MRKH

A Mead woman’s video is going viral on her Facebook page after she wanted to share her story about a condition she was diagnosed with.

Mackenzie Peterson was diagnosed in 2014 with MRKH. The condition mainly affects the reproductive system. According to the National Institute of Health, about one in 4500 newborn girls are diagnosed with this. But MRKH isn’t a syndrome many people have heard of.

She was just a freshman in high school when she was diagnosed, and she had to visit Seattle frequently for doctor’s appointments. Then, Mackenzie says the rumors about her started at school and people bullied her because of her condition.

“I was scared. I was quiet. I had my walls up,” she says.

But on Monday, she was moved to post a video on her Facebook page breaking down those walls. Her main goal was to educate and clear up misconceptions people have about MRKH.

And it's clear from the comments that with understanding comes compassion.

“I am now comfortable with myself. I’m not ashamed of myself. I’m happy with who I am. I am definitely happy I posted that video. It really means a lot to me that so many people are watching it and learning,” she says. “I've learned that a small action can make that big of an impact.”

To learn more about the syndrome: https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/mayer-rokitansky-kuster-hauser-syndrome#statistics

Police confront man armed with bat during interview about downtown 'problem spot'

Thursday, May 24 2018 2:28 AM EDT2018-05-24 06:28:47 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Crime is becoming a growing concern in parts of downtown Spokane-- and police are getting all to familiar with it. The worse it gets, the fewer people want to spend time there-- which only creates a vicious cycle. Tonight while while we were in the downtown neighborhood, we saw firsthand what businesses and police are worried about and say they see every day. "I think most areas are overall safe," Officer John O'Brien

Woman killed in crash near Otis Orchards

Thursday, May 24 2018 10:26 AM EDT2018-05-24 14:26:43 GMT

OTIS ORCHARDS, Wash. - A woman was killed in a crash in the Otis Orchards area Thursday morning.  The crash happened near the intersection of Wellesley and Ashton. Details are limited at this time, but the car was found behind a tree and the woman driving has died, according to deputies on scene.  The intersection is closed down and motorists are asked to avoid the area.

46-year-old motorcyclist killed in crash on I-90 in Spokane Valley

Wednesday, May 23 2018 11:40 AM EDT2018-05-23 15:40:16 GMT
    Spokane man dead after rollover crash in OregonSpokane man dead after rollover crash in Oregon

SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - The Washington State Patrol says a 46-year-old Reardan man was killed Tuesday afternoon after crashing his motorcycle on I-90. Troopers say Clinton Heindl was traveling west on the Sprague onramp when he struck the barrier, was thrown from his bike and into the westbound lanes of I-90.

Irish citizens travel across country lines for abortion vote

Thursday, May 24 2018 1:23 PM EDT2018-05-24 17:23:18 GMT

KHQ.COM - Thousands of Irish citizens currently living out of the country are traveling home to Ireland to vote on repealing a longstanding law that outlaws abortions. The polls will open on May 25th to vote to repeal the eighth amendment, which currently gives equal rights to the life of an unborn child. Just landed in from Newcastle NSW via Sydney and Abu Dhabi. I’ll see yez at the polls.

A watchdog group asks Netflix to pull '13 Reasons Why'

Thursday, May 24 2018 12:25 PM EDT2018-05-24 16:25:24 GMT

NEW YORK (AP) - A media watchdog group is calling on Netflix to pull its "13 Reasons Why" series because of potentially harmful content. The Parents Television Council describes the second season of the series as "a ticking time bomb to teens and children." It wants both seasons yanked. A request for comment from Netflix wasn't immediately returned Monday.

Kosovo court imprisons 2 over illegal organ harvesting

Thursday, May 24 2018 12:11 PM EDT2018-05-24 16:11:14 GMT

PRISTINA, Kosovo (AP) - A Kosovo court has imprisoned two ethnic Albanians in an organ harvesting case.   The Pristina court on Thursday sentenced former urologist Lutfi Dervishi to seven-and-a-half years and a fine of 8,000 euros ($9,400). He cannot exercise his profession for two years after his prison term ends.   Another person, Sokol Hajdini, was sentenced to one year in prison.